Looking for some advice and support

I had a male veiled chameleon a year ago. I researched a lot before I rescued him from a very neglectful chain store. I know, I know, I shouldn't have done that but he literally tried to climb my hand when I went to his terrible enclosure. I needed to help him.

When I got him he was very, very skinny and severely dehydrated. I went to the vet with him, got him on antibiotics and a vitamin shot. With a proper enclosure (4 feet wide and 4 feet tall) and the right lights, calcium, vitamins, diet etc, he quickly got better. He went from a skeleton to a beautifully colored male. He wasn't even aggressive and would sometimes venture out of his enclosure to my arm and then in his play tree.

Now... I posted pictures of him on reddit and somehow people said this or that isn't good. I should change this or that. Which I did, because some advice came from am experienced breeder. So I changed stuff to please my scaly boy but.. he became worse after that. He was really well and active and happy and then suddenly he became aggressive and started to sit on the bottom of his enclosure, wouldn't eat anymore etc.

Every "experienced" person I spoke to said something else when it came to UV lights and heating. I just got so overwhelmed and insecure, I honestly didn't know what/who was right and what/who wasn't. I hated seeing my boy decline so in a desperate moment I had to give him away. I regret it to this day.

Now to my question... What is the ONLY true right care sheet? I've seen so many different recommendations that I don't know what's right anymore. I want to get a chameleon again because I truly love them but this time I want to be a 100% sure that the info I get is right. I know I should look at care sheets here but like I said, every website or person says something else... help?

My boy was doing well originally, it's only when I listened to people that he became worse. I had him for over 7 months before I took other people's advice so I think I must've been doing something right.

Some advice, reassure, CORRECT care sheets are greatly appreciated. I feel bad about having had to let go of my scaly friend. I never wanna have to rehome another one because people make me insecure about my husbandry.

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Hi and welcome. I’m sorry that things went poorly for you and your chameleon before. There is a huge amount of info out there and much of it is outdated or just wrong. If you go to the Resources tab, you’ll find a good deal of info, including some links. The most accurate and up to date site for chameleon husbandry is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ and I’d say that most, if not all of us follow those guidelines with success. If you explore the site, you’ll find species specific care guides, podcasts and just tons of info. For personalized guidance the forum can help with whatever questions you have, help you get all set up and how to find a reputable breeder. We also love sharing our stories and proudly showing off our beautiful scaled friends. :)

Yes! Agree with Miss Skittles 💯. In addition to the resources pages in the forum and chameleon academy (which gets species specific for a lot of things), the Neptune the chameleon videos on you tube are helpful as well if you absorb visually as opposed to reading. She covers many aspects of chameleon keeping with accurate information.

So happy you found this forum! Everyone here is kind and wants what’s best for your Cham. They stay up to date on information.

It’s wonderful your getting back in the cham world, they are amazing little creatures.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome!! This is a great place to be. I haven’t used Reddit for this, but from what I hear the advice over there isn’t the best so I have just stayed away 😅 The places the others have mentioned are fantastic. Chameleon academy and this forum both helped get my guy in good health and happy (as happy as his grumpy butt can be anyway).

@RandomUsername93 - use the care advice that works for your Cham. There are some things that are set in stone (live plants, supplements, space, branches, lighting) other things may need to be adjusted based on where you live and how your cham responds. The Texas high temps have caused me to adjust spraying. What I've learned is never spray if heat lamp is on and temps are higher than 69 degrees. Watch behaviors, take note of where your Cham likes to be in the enclosure. Take tons of pics and drop them in the forum. Even if you have no questions- drop pics- the experienced people here will look at the cute/funny pics. People here pay very close attention. They look at all pics from a caretaker point of view. The best thing you can do is pics, pics, and more pics.

Back
Top Bottom