How do I get rid of gnats!?

PascalDude

I have gnats in my cham's cage and they're spreading through the house! It's not swarms of them, just a few, but there's enough to be a problem.

I've been gut loading my crickets in their separate cage and I think the gnats may have come from the food dish I keep in there even though all the food is fresh and I toss the old dish every day. HELP!?

Anyone have a quick fix tip!?

are you using organic soil?. it seems to be one of the bigger culprits
I agree, use either a mix of dish soap and water or vinegar/water. You might have to do it once a week, I did with mine.
Then I put fine grain washed sand on top, then flat river rocks, that too seems to help stop the gnats.

Pesky little buggers, yes?
anne

The best treatment for fungus gnats is hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. This will kill the eggs and larva. The larva are feeding on the plant roots due to over watering, then they hatch into the gnats which in turn lay more eggs. If left untreated your plant will die from root rot. It can happen to any soil type but is most common in organic types.

I recommend having multiple plants and switch them out monthly, treating them every month to avoid this.

The best treatment for fungus gnats is hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. This will kill the eggs and larva. The larva are feeding on the plant roots due to over watering, then they hatch into the gnats which in turn lay more eggs. If left untreated your plant will die from root rot. It can happen to any soil type but is most common in organic types.

I recommend having multiple plants and switch them out monthly, treating them every month to avoid this.

what kind of ratio do you mix? i also heard another user on her mention BT. i think it's safe for chameleons just the same as hydrogen peroxide.

what kind of soil did you switch to?

You can use any soil you want the key is to put a cover substrate over the soil to prevent your chammy from digging in or eating it. And ensure that your water drains into a catch basin. Common cover like hydroton (expanded clay pellets), river rock, or decorative glass pebbles sold at craft stores work great.

what kind of ratio do you mix? i also heard another user on her mention BT. i think it's safe for chameleons just the same as hydrogen peroxide.

One tablespoon per cup of water. Bt or diatamaceus earth only prevents the gnats from laying eggs.

Wow these are great tips guys! Thank you so much!! I do not have a real plant in his cage yet but I probably do overspray the coconut fiber substrate at the bottom of the cage. I was told to get rid of the substrate but I wanted to finish the bag up since I can't return it since it helps with humidity until I can get an organic hibiscus plant in there.

Back
Top Bottom