Fungus gnat issues and potential dehydration?

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
currently I have a fungus gnat problem that probably originated from my chameleon's live plants, since that was where the majority were flying around at first. Basically, I think the problem happened because we recently (like a few months ago) rearranged my chameleons enclosure and right now there are less plants then there used to be (though soon enough I plan to put more in), which perhaps means that there is less of a canopy, so when the mistking goes off, it is REALLY soaking the plant pots. It normally goes off twice a day for like a minute and 10-15 ish seconds, and it has been that way for a long time with no issues.

Anyways though, we needed to do something to control the gnat population a bit cuz it was crazy. Ive read that fungus gnats are pretty much harmless, but they were stressing me out since my chameleon lives in my room lol. So for the past 3ish days weve been using soapy water on the plant pot soil, and a little bit of hydrogen peroxide mainly in the bottom saucer to be absorbed and kill off some of the gnat larvae. I also put in 2 shallow dishes with some vinegar/soapy water mixture to catch a few flies (which is sort of working) at night, because then my chameleon wont step in them.

In the meantime, while doing this, Ive had the mistking off to avoid drenching the plant soil even further. Ive been spraying just the leaves a couple times per day, but a lot less than what he is used to. I checked on him tonight, and his eyes look a litttle more sunken then most nights. I am wondering if the reduced water means he isnt drinking as much and is dehydrated? ALSO, he has fallen (short distances) a couple times in the past few days-last week. Im not sure if thats cuz I havent been feeding him as much, cuz I sort of ran out of food and didnt buy some more in time because im super busy with school stuff, or because he could be sick or something, though he doesnt act it. (His behavior has been normal.)

Do you think he is sick though? And could the fungus gnats make him sick? Also, if he is dehydrated, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to give him more water without drenching the plant pots further? Sorry this is a mess Im really tired and just kind of worried.

I attached pictures of his current setup, his eyes, and the floor with a vinegar trap thing.

Attachments

• IMG-2446.JPG
    IMG-2446.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-2447.JPG
    IMG-2447.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-2448.JPG
    IMG-2448.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 51
(I also sort of wonder if I am even dealing with the fungus gnats in the best way cuz there wasnt much time to think something just had to happen. Little flies up the nose=not very enjoyable)

You said…”So for the past 3ish days weve been using soapy water on the plant pot soil, and a little bit of hydrogen peroxide mainly in the bottom saucer to be absorbed and kill off some of the gnat larvae.“…your chameleon could drink this and would likely die from it if enough of it was ingested.

You said…”I also put in 2 shallow dishes with some vinegar/soapy water mixture to catch a few flies”…
I wouldn’t be leaving an open dish with vinegar and soapy water in the cage for the same reason…he might ingest it.

You said….”I am wondering if the reduced water means he isnt drinking as much and is dehydrated?”….what colour are the urates?
Since you’ve reduced the amount of water, this might also make him drink the soapy/vinegar/peroxide waters.

You said…”I havent been feeding him as much, cuz I sort of ran out of food and didnt buy some more”…how much has he been fed since you started to run out of food?

Last edited:
Ok. Currently there is no hydrogen peroxide water he could drink. Also, would the vinegar likely be ok if it was only in while hes sleeping, or should I remove them entirely?

His urate (the one from within the last day at least) is mostly white with a little yellow part on the end.

And I have fed him 4 or 5 dubias on Thursday/Friday before I really ran out. The next bugs we ordered are estimated to be here Wednesday. We can get emergency bugs from Petco or something if we need to.

I just wanted to throw out there that I bought a ketchy gnat trap and it works amazing. It did take a while since I had quite the infestation of them, but that coupled with getting my humidity levels balanced has done wonders. (This might be a safer option, as it is something you can plug in next to or in the same room and it will be just as effective if not more without putting your sweet chameleon in any danger.)

https://www.amazon.com/fruit-fly-tr...ocphy=9033353&hvtargid=pla-435047713827&psc=1

If you want immediate short term relief of the fungus gnats you need to dump your potting soil outside and get all new soil. But they WILL come back so for long term relief you need to get some mosquito bits. It kills mosquito and fungus gnat larvae over time. But you have to stay consistent with it. However it does nothing for the adults so that’s why I said to get all new soil. As the adults will last for awhile still and annoy the crap out of you.

I think most of us struggle with the dratted gnats. There are lots of ways to help reduce and eliminate them that are safe for your chameleon. Along with those things already mentioned, letting your plant’s soil dry out a bit helps. Letting your enclosure dry out in between misting, getting some sundew (drosera capensis) plants and place near your enclosure, hatching a mantis ooth in your enclosure (babies will eat the flies and your chameleon will eat the mantids) are some other ways. Avoid use of exposed sticky traps anywhere that your chameleon could reach.

You said…”Ok. Currently there is no hydrogen peroxide water he could drink. Also, would the vinegar likely be ok if it was only in while hes sleeping, or should I remove them entirely?”…will the insects be able to drink it?

You said…”His urate (the one from within the last day at least) is mostly white with a little yellow part on the end”…then hydration should be good.

You said…”And I have fed him 4 or 5 dubias on Thursday/Friday before I really ran out. The next bugs we ordered are estimated to be here Wednesday. We can get emergency bugs from Petco or something if we need to”…should be ok.

Hi sorry I haven't read the whole theard , bad me , placing some sundew plants ( outside of the enclosure) can help with gnats I personally wouldn't reduce the amount of water available to my cham just because a few gnats / flies where bothering me and like we are all busy so not having enough food insects I don't know , as for the falling , have you had your husbandry checked,. I know you are an avid member, but like I will be asking for mine to be checked,

Back
Top Bottom