Tips for cleaning heavily planted enclosure

ChameleonClem

Established Member
I have a pretty heavily planted enclosure and it is mainly pothos, but even after cleaning my cage has a bit of a smell, does anyone have any tips for keeping things squeaky clean in a heavily planted environment?
I really couldnt fit many more plants in if i tried. All my plants are potted.
Ive also had a major outbreak of fungus gnats is there anything else to do other than mosquito bits and sticky traps around the house?

Increase the clean up crew…more isopods and more springtails. They will eat up everything the gnats are feeding off of and will stop multiplying.

I would say that maybe now is the time to consider going fully bioactive. :) It’s much easier than it all sounds and would solve your cleaning and odor concern. Just make sure to have a very good drainage system. This is a really great blog on how to get started. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/ For the gnats, there’s those things already mentioned along with Katchy traps, hatching mantis ooths in your enclosure, letting things dry out a bit.

Are your plants getting too much water? Can you post a picture of the entire cage and drainage so we can see?

Fungus gnats will die off in a few months as long as you do not add new plants and dirt in. They come from the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom