Household lightbulbs going away

gerhartrx

Hello everyone. I wanted to start a conversation to see what everyone is planning to do when the only kind of light bulb we can get is a CFL.

Questions:
1. What are you going to use for heat source?
2. What are you going to use for the live plants?
3. Do you use a specific CFL light that will not affect the chameleon in a negative way?
4. Anything else that I am missing?
5. Suggestions or game plans?

They will still make reptile heat bulbs and floodlights I believe see the thread below yours it was awnswered. _fls are best for live plants and do not hurt your chameleon

They will still make reptile heat bulbs and floodlights I believe see the thread below yours it was awnswered. _fls are best for live plants and do not hurt your chameleon

I saw that. I think you are right about the reptile heat bulbs staying around but I have not got the answer yet to this question. I have asked the pet stores around me that sell them and no one can give me a straight answer.

Also what is a fls light? Can you shoot me a link to review them? Thank you

i assume you are refering to the so-called Federal light bulb law? dont worry too much, incandesent light bulbs will still be legal in the U.S., what will be illegal are incadesent bulbs that do not meet the new federal energy efficiency standards.

Philips and GE already make energy efficient incandesnt bulbs that meet the new federal standards. i know Lowes and Home Depot are carrying them too. :D

That's great news. I can never get a straight answer. I will have to check those out.

I wish government would worry more about creating jobs and making a budget that works versus sticking their noses into something that is far less important.

Seems like they all have a serious case of ADHD. Can't concentrate on anything and jump around to the less important crap.

That's great news. I can never get a straight answer. I will have to check those out.

I wish government would worry more about creating jobs and making a budget that works versus sticking their noses into something that is far less important.

Seems like they all have a serious case of ADHD. Can't concentrate on anything and jump around to the less important crap.

Unfortunately, what you might consider "less important" may be vitally important to others. What the gov't chooses to focus on has a lot to do with who's lobbying them the hardest. To the climate change/sustainability/green living groups, getting classic incandescent light bulbs off the market is a huge deal. I live in a very small remote town in AK where the electric rates are over $0.75 a kilowatt hour. Most of us switched over to cfls years ago simply to lower electricity bills. So far, I've hardly ever replaced a bad cfl bulb.

Unfortunately, what you might consider "less important" may be vitally important to others. What the gov't chooses to focus on has a lot to do with who's lobbying them the hardest. To the climate change/sustainability/green living groups, getting classic incandescent light bulbs off the market is a huge deal. I live in a very small remote town in AK where the electric rates are over $0.75 a kilowatt hour. Most of us switched over to cfls years ago simply to lower electricity bills. So far, I've hardly ever replaced a bad cfl bulb.

I agree it is a pressing issue but we have to prioritize or dare I say multi task. I know that is asking a lot! :) Your point about cost of elcticity and going green to save the earth is hugely important. Putting legislation in on light bulbs when our economy, debt and jobless rates are in the $hit hole is pointless. If you can't buy the bulbs because of being jobless then what? They could have simply left that up to the consumer for the time being and most if not a majority would have switched over on their own. I know that all of my family has made the switch without the government force. Too much government leads to them speanding too much money.

I agree it is a pressing issue but we have to prioritize or dare I say multi task.

Multi Task? our government?? hahahahahaha good luck with that one. I'd be happy if they just prioritized based on what people need, not who's lobbing the hardest, or giving the most campaign contributions.

Multi Task? our government?? hahahahahaha good luck with that one. I'd be happy if they just prioritized based on what people need, not who's lobbing the hardest, or giving the most campaign contributions.

Yeah they are lost causes and should all resign so we can start over.

Hello everyone. I wanted to start a conversation to see what everyone is planning to do when the only kind of light bulb we can get is a CFL.

Questions:
1. What are you going to use for heat source?
2. What are you going to use for the live plants?
3. Do you use a specific CFL light that will not affect the chameleon in a negative way?
4. Anything else that I am missing?
5. Suggestions or game plans?

I have a supply of tungsten incandescents so it will be awhile before I worry about this. I bought a couple cases, because it saved me money.

Not all wattages will be phased out, at least not right away in my country. For example, there is no plan in Canada to do away with 40watt bulbs. Halogen bulbs will still be on the market. As will specialty bulbs (made specifically and expensively for reptiles). Some CFLs are fine for lighting / plants but they provide no heat (that's why they are more efficient).

There are several existing threads on the same topic which you could use the search feature to find - you may get additional information that way. Here are two of them:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/incandescent-light-bulbs-gone-2013-a-52000/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/eu-phase-out-non-energy-efficeint-light-bulbs-19323/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/heard-rumor-65293/

Last edited:
I have a supply of tungsten incandescents so it will be awhile before I worry about this. I bought a couple cases, because it saved me money.

Not all wattages will be phased out, at least not right away in my country. For example, there is no plan in Canada to do away with 40watt bulbs. Halogen bulbs will still be on the market. As will specialty bulbs (made specifically and expensively for reptiles). Some CFLs are fine for lighting / plants but they provide no heat (that's why they are more efficient).

There are several existing threads on the same topic which you could use the search feature to find - you may get additional information that way. Here are two of them:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/incandescent-light-bulbs-gone-2013-a-52000/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/eu-phase-out-non-energy-efficeint-light-bulbs-19323/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/heard-rumor-65293/

Thanks Sandra. hmmmm??? Canada! Your government doesn't worry themselves with light bulbs and well your country has grown their GDP how many years in a row? Maybe we should send our guys on a field trip to see how its done.

Canada! Your government doesn't worry themselves with light bulbs

Well, actually, we are phasing out the worst offenders, the 100w bulbs and such. Many of us have already voluntarily moved to using CFLs and other efficient bulbs for household use. I think there's only one "regular" bulb in my home, apart from the basking lights; I switched over years ago.

Interestingly, there has been debate in some provinces about whether more energy will be used by switching to CLFs. Many areas in Canada are quite cold in winter, and the heat no longer generated by lightbulbs may be replaced with heat generated by "evil" furnace oil. Its hard to find one right answer to big issues, eh!?

Luckily, where I live, my house is heated by electricity from hydro-electric sources, and in a few years I'll have a solar hot water and a heat pump. At that point I wont feel so bad about the inefficient light bulbs in my chameleon room.

Making COAL illegal to burn would have much more impact that phasing out lightbulbs. Too bad the world cant seem to tackle big decisions! :)

Making COAL illegal to burn would have much more impact that phasing out lightbulbs. Too bad the world cant seem to tackle big decisions! :)

Just curious what did you have in mind to replace coal as a power source? I agree coal itself is more responsible then the difference between incandescent and cfl bulbs for our pollution problems but considering the majority of my states power is from burning of coal, i do not see making coal illegal to burn a possible solution.

Hey everyone I did not mean for this topic to spark a debate about politics, energy use and going green which I think we all have to agree that we all have strong opinions on. So I am sorry for stoking the fire here and there.

Really all I wanted to figure out was when we have to switch to CFL's what is everyone planning on? Heat source? bc CFL's don't pack the punch for heat.

We can keep on the politic thing but no matter what it will blister out of control sooner or later.

Thanks

Hey everyone I did not mean for this topic to spark a debate about politics, energy use and going green which I think we all have to agree that we all have strong opinions on. So I am sorry for stoking the fire here and there.

Really all I wanted to figure out was when we have to switch to CFL's what is everyone planning on? Heat source? bc CFL's don't pack the punch for heat.

We can keep on the politic thing but no matter what it will blister out of control sooner or later.

Thanks

I dont feel that there will be a problem with heat, when there is a demand there will be a supply. Will it be as economical as it is now, with simply buying household bulbs to fill this demand? No.

This new shift into phasing out the regular household incandescent bulbs will happen in a matter of time but i dont see it effecting us much more then costing us more money.

More money... Perfect that is what seems to be leaving lately. Good times ahead.

When i say more money i mean a few dollars per enclosure. For those enthusiast as myself, who only have a couple cages it wont be much of a problem. However i could see this taking more of a impact on those who have several enclosures and some businesses.

It is unfortunate but i cant complain. Since most of the world likely isnt worried about basking temps.

When i say more money i mean a few dollars per enclosure. For those enthusiast as myself, who only have a couple cages it wont be much of a problem. However i could see this taking more of a impact on those who have several enclosures and some businesses.

It is unfortunate but i cant complain. Since most of the world likely isnt worried about basking temps.

True a few bucks for a couple cages no biggie!

Just curious what did you have in mind to replace coal as a power source? I agree coal itself is more responsible then the difference between incandescent and cfl bulbs for our pollution problems but considering the majority of my states power is from burning of coal, i do not see making coal illegal to burn a possible solution.

I was just making a point, that changing a few light bulbs isnt going to save the world - not suggesting I have all the answers.
Although, texas has a fair bit of sun, and geotherm is available to all. :) So if you (anyone not in the arctic) use coal-fired electricity to heat water, you're wasting your money and unnecessarily damaging the planet. But truly not blaming you, or anyone else - I am not pointing fingers. My family owns a vehicle - I buy things made of plastic. Im a little more green than some, but Im far from perfect.
Our entire culture is bad for the planet :(

Im not worried about the phase out of some tungsten incandescent bulbs. One could double up on 40watts if needs be, increase the temperature of the room a bit, use halogen, etc There are already alternatives available, and if the demand is sufficient there will be more choices later.

Back
Top Bottom