Basking light positioning

Mad Dog Murphy

Established Member
Just a quickie, most terrariums I see have the basking light off centered left or right towards a corner, why is this, just preference.? I personally want to keep it as far away from the fake foam rock walls as I can because I worry about fire hazard and having a heat bulb going all day while out is a concern, can I do dead centre like planned, I can’t imagine it’s a problem but thought i better ask the question in case I’m missing something important.

I never really think about where I put the basking light other than having it next to the uvb and above wherever I put the basking branch. One thing that most do in Europe is putting the lights inside the enclosure. It’s much better and safer to have them be outside and on top. If you get a baby or young chameleon, expect it will walk along the screen top, so you’ll want to plan to elevate your lights at least a few inches above the screen to prevent burns. Also, if you don’t have to go all the way to the top with your spray foam, then don’t. Have you looked at Dragon Ledges? While I don’t think you can order them from out of the US, many have crafted their own versions with metal strips. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
I had made faux panels with spray foam and coco coir for all of my enclosures as it was a good way to block their views of each other, contain water spray, etc. It looked ok and performed as expected, however it’s so very dark in the enclosures. Here’s one with the faux panels vs redone one with just one faux panel and I used cloud shower curtains on the outside (not fully set up yet). I recall Petr Necas saying something about the natural background of chameleons being the sky.
IMG_2311.jpeg IMG_4625.jpeg

I never really think about where I put the basking light other than having it next to the uvb and above wherever I put the basking branch. One thing that most do in Europe is putting the lights inside the enclosure. It’s much better and safer to have them be outside and on top. If you get a baby or young chameleon, expect it will walk along the screen top, so you’ll want to plan to elevate your lights at least a few inches above the screen to prevent burns. Also, if you don’t have to go all the way to the top with your spray foam, then don’t. Have you looked at Dragon Ledges? While I don’t think you can order them from out of the US, many have crafted their own versions with metal strips. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
I had made faux panels with spray foam and coco coir for all of my enclosures as it was a good way to block their views of each other, contain water spray, etc. It looked ok and performed as expected, however it’s so very dark in the enclosures. Here’s one with the faux panels vs redone one with just one faux panel and I used cloud shower curtains on the outside (not fully set up yet). I recall Petr Necas saying something about the natural background of chameleons being the sky.
View attachment 338236View attachment 338237
your set ups look great, I’m having a good nose at the pictures getting some ideas and then I spotted the little fella looking right at me, beautiful. Can I ask how you fixed your branches, is it expanding foam? Myself I Like the faux walls, but yes they can be dark , I get that.

Hi so just my 50 cent or 40 pence lol. ( just my thoughts and opinions and preferences) so I like to offset my basking light as this not only creates a thermal gradient top to bottom but also side to side ,front to back, therefore my cham can be up top receiving uv but out of the higher basking temp, also I use an exoterra light bracket with clamp , this can be raised up off the top of the enclosure and with the clamp can also be angled so even the basking area has more of a thermal gradient

your set ups look great, I’m having a good nose at the pictures getting some ideas and then I spotted the little fella looking right at me, beautiful. Can I ask how you fixed your branches, is it expanding foam? Myself I Like the faux walls, but yes they can be dark , I get that.
Yes, I used some expanding foam to hold some branches but after just a short time it failed. Is better to secure with thin wire. Just keep the pointy ends on the outside.

Thanks all I’ll have a better look at position when I have everything on top and have a play around see what sits best where, will go with a narrow deep holder ideally with a dimmer function that Way I can use a more powerful bulb and adjust it accordingly through the different seasons without switching different wattage ones in and out etc.

Thanks all I’ll have a better look at position when I have everything on top and have a play around see what sits best where, will go with a narrow deep holder ideally with a dimmer function that Way I can use a more powerful bulb and adjust it accordingly through the different seasons without switching different wattage ones in and out etc.
Just curious what type of dimmers do people use ,

Just curious what type of dimmers do people use ,
Only seen one which is a zoo med there’s a wheel on the switch I believe for dimming, got to be a good thing as opposed to switching different bulbs in and out through the different seasons, or raising the unit up and down

Attachments

• 8DE7FA48-790D-4655-9F02-5C06BD0CB31F.jpeg
    8DE7FA48-790D-4655-9F02-5C06BD0CB31F.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 34
Only seen one which is a zoo med there’s a wheel on the switch I believe for dimming, got to be a good thing as opposed to switching different bulbs in and out through the different seasons, or raising the unit up and down
As I'm in UK I'm not familiar with them or how they work, are they thermostat? Or how do they control the temperature,

I was going to affix a temperature probe on the basking branch maybe a inch above the branch as will be juvenile to take into consideration the back of your Cham and then wind the wheel up and down accordingly until I get it right, was thinking of a 75w or 100w I’m undecided on this, all i know is the house gets cold in winter so this could be a good move

Personally I like to keep different watt bulbs, I see your understanding, but when I kept bearded dragons, I used a 150 watt ceramic heater , more than needed under the same thought, but when using a 150 , when a 75 will do / achieve the temp then the dimmer is working harder and the light is also going up and down frequently , so all of a sudden bright light ( temp achieved) then no light or very little, b4 light / temp is required ( as I mentioned I am not familiar or know how zoo med works ) but when using a bulb that is correct, the light differential only varies slightly ( sorry that some /%^£) in the middle doesn't make sense)

I was going to affix a temperature probe on the basking branch maybe a inch above the branch as will be juvenile to take into consideration the back of your Cham and then wind the wheel up and down accordingly until I get it right, was thinking of a 75w or 100w I’m undecided on this, all i know is the house gets cold in winter so this could be a good move
As with winter temps ( lol I panicked) if your cham has access to appropriate day time temp , and the enclosure doesn't drop below 10 c absolute at night maximum, he/ she will be fine , a good night time drop is natural and beneficial

I use a series of 35watt halogens(track lighting) to make a 1 footish warm spot. Im always nervous using 75-100+ watt bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom