Hornworm

timw1

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've been hand feeding my guy hornworms as treats. This morning I offered one as a treat, and as usual he eagerly took it. The worm flailed a bit as my guy chomped and suddenly he dropped it. I was a little perplexed at first, but then I noticed my cham was keeping one eye closed. It appears that the hornworm must of caught my cham on the eye. I hope it is nothing major and heals quick, I will definitely be keeping a close eye on it. I also hope my cham does not equate me hand feeding him with his injury. Just a heads up for those who feed hornworms.

Definitely keep an eye on his, umm, eye lol. If the worm did irritate the eye just watch for any swelling or if the eye looks sunken in. If he continues to keep that eye closed after a day or two then I would look at other causes.

Definitely keep an eye on his, umm, eye lol. If the worm did irritate the eye just watch for any swelling or if the eye looks sunken in. If he continues to keep that eye closed after a day or two then I would look at other causes.

I watched it happen because I was hand feeding, no other cause. Thanks for the advise, he seems 100% now!

Yep I had a scare like this too. That's why I hold them by the head so his tongue grabs that part. Chameleons naturally close their eyes when flinging their tongue, your guy should be just fine. Just watch out for it :)

Back
Top Bottom