Help

Holland263

So my male Jackson has been on baytril for mouth rot for almost a month now. It went away some and then it came back. Not long after I started the baytril treatment my chammie started developing some sort of sore on his lip and now I'm seeing blood. (There is a photo attached of the sore on his lip)
Has anyone experienced this before?? Please help!! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20140220_150103.jpg
    20140220_150103.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 114
So my male Jackson has been on baytril for mouth rot for almost a month now. It went away some and then it came back. Not long after I started the baytril treatment my chammie started developing some sort of sore on his lip and now I'm seeing blood. (There is a photo attached of the sore on his lip)
Has anyone experienced this before?? Please help!! Thank you!!

How are you giving the Baytril? Could the sore be related to force feeding? Possibly the original infection is spreading. Where was the first site? Stomatitis can be difficult to get rid of and it does recur. The original pocket of infection often needs to be cleaned out in addition to using systemic antibiotics.

That does look bad. It's not unheard of for this issue to clear up and then reappear. Did your vet clean out the area or just do a visual exam? Did your vet culture and perform a sensitivity test on some pus from the wound to try to determine what bacteria was causing the infection and what type of meds might attack it more efficiently?

It could be that it is resistant to Baytril.

There are a few other medications out there, but not too many. Given that he has been on Baytril for an extended amount of time now and Baytril can be very hard on the body, I would definitely request the culture/sensitivity test from the vet. There are a number of vets in SoCo that people here on the forum use. How close are you to Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda? He gets rave reviews, so it might be worth looking him up.

Last edited:
How are you giving the Baytril? Could the sore be related to force feeding? Possibly the original infection is spreading. Where was the first site? Stomatitis can be difficult to get rid of and it does recur. The original pocket of infection often needs to be cleaned out in addition to using systemic antibiotics.

It's possible that forcefeeding is part of it, that's been the only way that I've been able to give it to him, he's been extremely difficult. Injecting it into the crickets didn't work. I've been to the vet twice but he hasn't said anything about it, and his theory of why he has mouth rot is because of his cage. I've stopped giving him the medication.

It's possible that forcefeeding is part of it, that's been the only way that I've been able to give it to him, he's been extremely difficult. Injecting it into the crickets didn't work. I've been to the vet twice but he hasn't said anything about it, and his theory of why he has mouth rot is because of his cage. I've stopped giving him the medication.

If the original infection started at the corner of his mouth (in the temporal gland) I don't see how it was triggered by his cage, unless it was filthy and stagnant. If there was an abscess early on and it wasn't cleared out it may well spread along the jaw even to the bone. Definitely need a sensitivity culture to check for the correct antibiotic. Baytril isn't doing it.

That does look bad. It's not unheard of for this issue to clear up and then reappear. Did your vet clean out the area or just do a visual exam? Did your vet culture and perform a sensitivity test on some pus from the wound to try to determine what bacteria was causing the infection and what type of meds might attack it more efficiently?

It could be that it is resistant to Baytril.

There are a few other medications out there, but not too many. Given that he has been on Baytril for an extended amount of time now and Baytril can be very hard on the body, I would definitely request the culture/sensitivity test from the vet. There are a number of vets in SoCo that people here on the forum use. How close are you to Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda? He gets rave reviews, so it might be worth looking him up.

He only looked at it, he didnt clean it or test the bacteria. I know it's hard on the body, I've been making sure he's getting enough water. I guess I'll have to take him to my other vet, they are very good just really expensive.

I've been to the vet twice but he hasn't said anything about it, and his theory of why he has mouth rot is because of his cage..

That absolutely could be a contributing factor, but it could also have spread from something else. Jacksons are prone to getting infections in the little gland in the corner of their mouth (the temporal gland). It may not be stomatitis in the strictest sense, but it seems that "mouth rot" and "temporal gland infection" are often used interchangeably.

Maybe time for a second opinion? Vet visits do get pricey, but unfortunately, this will not clear up on its own.

Maybe try reptaid - supposed to work wonders on that kinda stuff

Reptaid might be a good addition to a treatment if recommended by the vet, but an infection this bad likely needs antibiotics.
In all fairness, I have zero experience with Reptaid. So it would be good if other members could jump in with their direct experience.

Last edited:
If the original infection started at the corner of his mouth (in the temporal gland) I don't see how it was triggered by his cage, unless it was filthy and stagnant. If there was an abscess early on and it wasn't cleared out it may well spread along the jaw even to the bone. Definitely need a sensitivity culture to check for the correct antibiotic. Baytril isn't doing it.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to take him to my other vet. I inherited them and he had it before I got him. What's your opinion of Reptaid?

That absolutely could be a contributing factor, but it could also have spread from something else. Jacksons are prone to getting infections in the little gland in the corner of their mouth (the temporal gland). It may not be stomatitis in the strictest sense, but it seems that "mouth rot" and "temporal gland infection" are often used interchangeably.

Maybe time for a second opinion? Vet visits do get pricey, but unfortunately, this will not clear up on its own.

I agree, thank you!

Just guessing without seeing the cham in person and I'm not a vet, but in that photo that looks like it could be fungal on his lip maybe...

Back
Top Bottom