A few things that are bugging me

Update.
She still hasn't eat... (At least that I noticed) Everyday I drop 2/3 worms in and they vanish to leafs/background. But she never gets them, today I found 4 dead ones so she is not eating...

Any advise?

Also no eggs so far, and the laybin has been modified to have sand instead of Coco fibers

Many thanks
I would place the worms or feeders in a cup, so she can notice them and shoot at them. Best is a cup with no clear view. Now she probably missing them and before she can notice them they’re out of reach in the soil. But don’t feed her daily, only 3 times a week

Hello :)

She has a feeding spot (besides tweezers that she also enjoyed) she was used to eat from here (I just placed a worm and some calcium there to demonstrate)

Attachments

• 20240510_153717.JPG
    20240510_153717.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello :)

She has a feeding spot (besides tweezers that she also enjoyed) she was used to eat from here (I just placed a worm and some calcium there to demonstrate)
Maybe please more towards the lights, that can do the trick as well. NO tweezers please, you won’t be the first and certainly not the last who will end up with tongue injury or amputation.

It's pretty much under the lights.. more direct the worm will die sooner due to heat I believe. Also this is the interface of my temp/hum reader. Pretty neat. But I would like something more controlled via WiFi, any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240510-164949.png
    Screenshot_20240510-164949.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
That's good! Now give her as much privacy as possible. Don't check on her at all (and even wrap a dark sheet around the bottom of the cage if you can) because if she thinks she's going to be interrupted in laying, she'll stop.
You'll know she's done when she looks rather deflated and she's back at the top of her enclosure looking dirty and tired. Until then, please do everything you can to leave her alone. Laying those eggs is VITAL for her well-being. :)

Okay so update, she layed 3 eggs.
From what I saw normal count would be around 20 (minimum)

She had been covered (only top part open to breathe)
No noise/vibration around her since I saw the 2 eggs yesterday.
She is done? I mean with the egg laying thing?

I'm confused

Okay so update, she layed 3 eggs.
From what I saw normal count would be around 20 (minimum)

She had been covered (only top part open to breathe)
No noise/vibration around her since I saw the 2 eggs yesterday.
She is done? I mean with the egg laying thing?

I'm confused
Sometimes it can take a little while to lay all the eggs. It's very possible that she'll sleep down in the lay box if she's not done, or not happy with her tunnels, or anything like that. I think some folks have had their cham lay for a few days in a row. You'll know she's done when she's back up to her normal basking area and looking rather deflated. If she's been eating every day and basking warmer than 80 degrees fahrenheit, it's highly possible she'll have 40+ eggs. She should bury most of them so it'll be hard to tell how much she's laid until she's all done and back up to her normal routine, and you dig them out and count (Which I suggest you do, so you can keep track with how many she lays with her next clutch).

That she had eggs on TOP of the sand probably means she was about bursting and felt she had to lay a few before she dug her tunnels. Hoping she gets all of them out!

Regarding eating, she hasn't been eating for like a week and if she has, it's maybe 1 worm or other..
It's one of the topics of this thread.
Regarding basking area, she hasn't been there also let's say for the past 4/5days. She hides and stays hidden all day. Like now for example, light is on, fogger already stopped, and fan is on, and she is still hiding. (Temps 20c, humidity 68%) - she had the eggs layed on the morning of yesterday, I was out all day, and I saw those 2 when I arrived. Checked on the camera and they where layed at 11am of yesterday (almost 20h ago).

I hope she returns to normal soon, we will be making a house change via road trip (3k km) in 5 days 🥹😐 scared and fearful as hell here lol...

It's 5+days of no food because she won't eat
No calcium
No greens/fruits
Only water and hiding...

Anyway enclosure is covered up, let's say what happens later tonight

Regarding eating, she hasn't been eating for like a week and if she has, it's maybe 1 worm or other..
It's one of the topics of this thread.
Regarding basking area, she hasn't been there also let's say for the past 4/5days. She hides and stays hidden all day. Like now for example, light is on, fogger already stopped, and fan is on, and she is still hiding. (Temps 20c, humidity 68%) - she had the eggs layed on the morning of yesterday, I was out all day, and I saw those 2 when I arrived. Checked on the camera and they where layed at 11am of yesterday (almost 20h ago).

I hope she returns to normal soon, we will be making a house change via road trip (3k km) in 5 days 🥹😐 scared and fearful as hell here lol...

It's 5+days of no food because she won't eat
No calcium
No greens/fruits
Only water and hiding...

Anyway enclosure is covered up, let's say what happens later tonight
They aren't super interested in eating a few days before laying so that seems normal. Chams can go quite a while without eating, so try not to stress too much about that, especially if she's been eating a lot of superworms (which are pretty high in fat and not super great for them - think of them as candy for people). Until she stopped eating the last few days, was she fed every day?

Okay I read through the rest of the thread again - hopefully your vet visit on Tuesday will help. With eyes closed a lot, not eating, not having had correct lighting or supplements, it could be a variety of issues. My immediate concern is the eggs though - make sure to ask about that. I'd also see if you can do x-rays which should show volume of eggs she needs to lay. I hope she continues to lay and that you get some answers and help for your sweet girl ASAP so your move can happen as stress-free as possible.

Hello again.
So before stop eating, she was eating every day maybe 2/3 worms. (Attached photo)

She can go a while without eat? Can you define a while?

And eyes are back to normal, since maybe 2/3 days (I think it was low humidity to be honest I didn't had the fogger yet only the mist)

View attachment 355124

This is the worms she was eating
First that’s great she luckily laid everything. But the amount huge, healthy should be around 20 or even less. Those superworms are basically only fat together with daily feeding makes these clutches soo big. General rule 3 feedings a week with 3-4 feeders each time. Can’t you get other feeders like crickets or locusts? They would be much better.

For now I’m really happy she did her thing.

She made it. 51 eggs. And she's done. Back on top of enclosure. Damn. I placed her food with calcium and let's hope she eats
Yes!!!! Amazing girl!! I'd still suggest x-rays to make sure she got them all out, and to make sure she's not got other things going on, which she might. Bloodwork wouldn't be a terrible idea if finances allow. I'd be worried about things like MBD, gout, or possibly parasites. Also those lumps on her hips are concerning but I'm wondering if it's calcium buildup from lack of proper UBV and supplements. I think @Ghostbirb had odd bumps on her cham for a while until husbandry was corrected.

For your question about how long they can go without eating - easily days, and even a week or two isn't unheard of. They can go on hunger strikes if you're offering foods they don't like. Remember, reptiles' metabolisms are MUCH slower than mammals and they can weather a dearth of food for much, much longer than we can. The bigger concern is if she stops drinking.

Now that the egg crisis is over, you can really start honing in the husbandry for her. For example, superworms/waxworms are not good staple feeders - they're super fatty, have very little nutritional value, and are like candy. You want to feed your cham staples such as dubia or discoid roaches, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae (I think they're also known as nutri-grubs), crickets, hornworms for hydration if you want to, and superworms ONLY as a treat.

For an adult female feeding schedule, you want to focus on two things: Minimum food such that she's healthy, but not so over-fed that she produces tons of eggs. 3-4 smallish feeders, about 3x a week is plenty. For my adult chameleon, I feed him Tues/Thurs/Sat and might give him a treat on one of his off days. You also want to keep her basking temperature no higher than about 27C. What that does is it keeps her metabolism a little slower too. That combo tells her body "Don't produce so many eggs! That's too harsh on internal resources and it's better for our well-being to produce as few eggs as possible, especially because you don't have a mate." That'll help her live much longer, and in a much healthier way.

Please follow the feedback that @Beman gave you on the first page. The correct (UVB) lights, plants, sticks, heat, feeder gutloading, and feeders will give her a wonderful life.

And of course, we're all here to help! I LOVE that you were able to get her that lay box in time. You've helped her so so so much and I know you'll continue to do so. <3

Back
Top Bottom