Help with homemade incubator?

karebear41486

Established Member
I have been looking into getting an incubator for my panther eggs due to the fact that we keep our house fairly cool in the winter, and cooler months will be here before we know it! I stumbled upon this homemade one on craigslist that was made using a small refrigerator, heat tape, thermostat and thermometer. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how this works, exactly? I emailed the seller to ask him if you could actually control the temperatures, and he said that you could, but i guess i just don't understand how heat tape works, exactly. How does it heat up and how are you actually able to control it? I pasted the link to the craigslist ad here and there is a picture included. Has anyone else ever heard of making an incubator this way and do you know if it is successful? It seems like a refrigerator would maintain temps fairly well since it is so insulated. Thanks for any help!

http://rmn.craigslist.org/pet/1337892339.html

I have seen many people do this, and it has worked for them, heat tap, is pretty much like a heat mat, but in tape form. And it has a thermostat, so thats what controls the temps.

You can use several heat sources to produce heat. Heat tap ,Quartz heater, UTH mats and even a few 100W incandescent light bulbs baffled to reduce the direct light on the eggs, can all be controlled by a Ranco , Herpstat or helix temp contoller. Keep in mind , each contoller may work in Proportional and/ or On/OFF modes. And be aware of the current ( amperage) limitations of each also.

A fan, to move heat from top to bottom, is also advisable, so that you don't produce hot spots or a stratification of temps.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably end up getting it...it just seems more stable and obviously roomier than a hovabator or something else of the like. Anyone else have experience with something like this?

Back
Top Bottom