Basking wattage

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
Every time I open my mouth on here lately I feel like a fool, but here we go again. (Only because of myself btw)I recently read an article or saw a post about getting a lower wattage for your basking then what you are aiming for and letting your thermostat make the most of the bulb my pushing it to its max, does anyone understand what im trying to say first off 🤣 and does anyone use this practice, of getting a lower watt and hooking it to say a herp stat for example and then say using a 50 watt and setting the basking spot to around 78-80? Would that work does anyone have experience with this? Maybe everyone does this and I’m the only one that doesn’t? Either way no matter how stupid I feel I’m still gonna ask the “dumb questions” 😆

Every time I open my mouth on here lately I feel like a fool, but here we go again. (Only because of myself btw)I recently read an article or saw a post about getting a lower wattage for your basking then what you are aiming for and letting your thermostat make the most of the bulb my pushing it to its max, does anyone understand what im trying to say first off 🤣 and does anyone use this practice, of getting a lower watt and hooking it to say a herp stat for example and then say using a 50 watt and setting the basking spot to around 78-80? Would that work does anyone have experience with this? Maybe everyone does this and I’m the only one that doesn’t? Either way no matter how stupid I feel I’m still gonna ask the “dumb questions” 😆
Sooooo Yes I know exactly what you mean. I have the herpstat thermostat for basking fixture. I initially set it up with a 60 watt bulb. But it would take a good two hours in the morning to get the basking site to 82 at the branch. I keep mine set at 82 at the branch since it is warmer where he rises up. Now this is with a 8 inch distance from branch to top screen and then a 4 inch distance from screen to fixture bottom. I keep this set up like this because I will not risk a thermal burn...

Now I found it annoying that it would take 2 hours to warm up from 65 ambient to just 82. Not to mention I was also at the time running 3 T5HO fixtures that run the width of the enclosure and in a fully hybrid enclosure. Then you take into account that my basking only comes on from 9-2pm. So it just was not giving him much time to actually get warm.

So I run a 100 watt regular incandescent bulb instead. Basking is where it needs to be within 30 minutes and then it dims to keep it where I want it. Also I have a full 12 inches between branch and bottom of fixture so I do not have to worry about a thermal burn even when it is running at 100% power to heat the area.

Again lots of variables here so I think you have to take that into consideration. distance to branch from fixture being a main one for the wattage used.

The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked. And I think we are all here to learn and grow, you may have knowledge on something that I don't and visa versa. Thats why we are all here... to learn from each other :)

Sooooo Yes I know exactly what you mean. I have the herpstat thermostat for basking fixture. I initially set it up with a 60 watt bulb. But it would take a good two hours in the morning to get the basking site to 82 at the branch. I keep mine set at 82 at the branch since it is warmer where he rises up. Now this is with a 8 inch distance from branch to top screen and then a 4 inch distance from screen to fixture bottom. I keep this set up like this because I will not risk a thermal burn...

Now I found it annoying that it would take 2 hours to warm up from 65 ambient to just 82. Not to mention I was also at the time running 3 T5HO fixtures that run the width of the enclosure and in a fully hybrid enclosure. Then you take into account that my basking only comes on from 9-2pm. So it just was not giving him much time to actually get warm.

So I run a 100 watt regular incandescent bulb instead. Basking is where it needs to be within 30 minutes and then it dims to keep it where I want it. Also I have a full 12 inches between branch and bottom of fixture so I do not have to worry about a thermal burn even when it is running at 100% power to heat the area.

Again lots of variables here so I think you have to take that into consideration. distance to branch from fixture being a main one for the wattage used.
Can you share what you are using? I'm very visual. To keep my chams temps where I need during the day I'm currently using a space heater and rotating the basking light being off and on. Its ok if I am home and can monitor and adjust things as needed but I often worry about what I'll do when I am not home and need another method. My basement is perfect for the chams at night but during the day its a little cold for all three of them

Can you share what you are using? I'm very visual. To keep my chams temps where I need during the day I'm currently using a space heater and rotating the basking light being off and on. Its ok if I am home and can monitor and adjust things as needed but I often worry about what I'll do when I am not home and need another method. My basement is perfect for the chams at night but during the day its a little cold for all three of them
So google herpstat or go to spider robotics since they make them. I run a herpstat 2 so the number means how many basking fixtures can be run off the unit. I can run two enclosures fixtures off mine. The probe hooks into the machine and the basking fixture does as well. It dims the light up and down based on the set temp.it was a learning curve to set it up but I would not go without it now. I think I have had it a little over 3 years now.

So google herpstat or go to spider robotics since they make them. I run a herpstat 2 so the number means how many basking fixtures can be run off the unit. I can run two enclosures fixtures off mine. The probe hooks into the machine and the basking fixture does as well. It dims the light up and down based on the set temp.it was a learning curve to set it up but I would not go without it now. I think I have had it a little over 3 years now.
Just looked them up! These will make a great christmas present for myself 🤣 🤣 🤣

That was exactly what I needed to know! Thank you @Beman ☺️

Back
Top Bottom