Help my chameleon is pacing around

six10

My chameleon is pacing around at the bottom and i dont know why hes been fine the other days and in extremly worried, we are still working on his terrarium but i need some help i even gave him vitamins and food but it didnt help and we have to go somewhere today
IMG_20240309_122322.jpg
IMG_20240309_122316.jpg

Last edited:
So this time of year a lot of boys are looking for mates. This may be why he is pacing. Can I suggest a husbandry review? Copy paste and fill out this form and we can help make sure everything is perfect for your handsome guy!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So this time of year a lot of boys are looking for mates. This may be why he is pacing. Can I suggest a husbandry review? Copy paste and fill out this form and we can help make sure everything is perfect for your handsome guy!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? We highly suspect hes a guy and ive had him for about a week now
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Often, i always check up on him and make sure theres enough hydration and food, i always make sure to check if hes hungry or not and i always make sure he gets his vitamins
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Well right now we feed him "forkyllinger" and some worms that are good for him, sorry i dont know the name in danish
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?we dont have feeders installed Yet and we give him komodo dusting powder i think? vitamins, all have a labeled day on them for what day he needs a specific vitamin, we give it to him by turning a worm in it
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I see him drinking yes, we have a mist device we plan to use at somepoint but for now i spray water in there with a spray bottle and make sure to hit all the leaves, i plan on using the nister soon
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? We havent tested for parasites yet and his droppings seem fine from what ove seen
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He has been healthy and fine every other day and hes starting to get used to me i dont habe that much info

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? We use a screen cage and its huge compared to his size and really tall too, i dont know the exact dimensions since im bad at math
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We give him heating and uv alot, i turn off the heating when he goes away from it or takes some cover
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temps seem fine and the basking spot is on some sticks and the ground, he loves resting and basking under the lamp, and the tempatyre at night is good too
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? They are fine theres a good humidity from what ive seen
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Im using live plants yes and we plan to put more in the cage soon, they are jungle plants native ti where he comes from
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It lifted off the floor by a table and its a little far from a radiator which is at normal room temp
Location - Where are you geographically located? Im in denmark!

His pacing, he ate fine but he continued pacing

Hope it helps and i hope i did it roght, im unsure about some stuff tho but i make sure to read as muchh stuff about chameleons as i can

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_122316.jpg
    IMG_20240309_122316.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 9
Hey there welcome to the forum. The husbandry info you provided really does not provide enough detail for me to help. We would need detailed info such as exactly how many feeders and what they are. What the temps and humidity levels are. What are the exact supplements and what is the frequency you use them. Giving us the exact cage dimensions. Specifics on the type of UVB fixture and bulb strength along with exactly what wattage your heat fixture is.

But that fixture needs to come out of the cage.. High thermal burn risk. Needs to sit on top of the screen top of the cage. All lighting needs to be situated like this.

The cham is more than likely stressed. The cage is not really set up for him as it is now.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? We highly suspect hes a guy and ive had him for about a week now Look at the heels,if there’s a tarsal spur…
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Often, i always check up on him and make sure theres enough hydration and food, i always make sure to check if hes hungry or not and i always make sure he gets his vitamins
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Well right now we feed him "forkyllinger" and some worms that are good for him, sorry i dont know the name in danish Although crickets are a good feeder…easy to get, gutload, feed and keep…the wider the variety of insects you can use the better. Roaches, grasshoppers, silkworms can be part of the regular feeding …and once in a while, superworms, tomato hornworms (not off your tomato plants), waxworms can be good treats to add to the diet. Since none of the insects we offer are ones they will get where they came from, the need to be dusted with the appropriate powders. Phos free calcium should be dusted on every feeding but 2 a month…on those two feedings a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A and with D3 in it should be used. All powders should be dusted on them lightly…no “ghost” insects! Insects should be well fed because we want them to be nutritious and healthy. For crickets, roaches and hoppers, a wide variety of greens and veggies should be used…dandelion greens, collards, kale, endive, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, etc.a tiny tiny bit of fruit such as pear, apples, berries can be used as well.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?we dont have feeders installed Yet and we give him komodo dusting powder i think? vitamins, all have a labeled day on them for what day he needs a specific vitamin, we give it to him by turning a worm in it I talked about the vitamins a bit above….vitamin D3 and prEformed vitamin A can build up in the system and cause health issues because they are fat soluble…so we want to be careful not to overdo them…hence using them only twice a month is recommended. D3 from sunlight or the UVB lights we use on the cages should not build up as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will. PrOformed sources of vitamin A will not build up in the system either.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I see him drinking yes, we have a mist device we plan to use at somepoint but for now i spray water in there with a spray bottle and make sure to hit all the leaves, i plan on using the nister soon
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? We havent tested for parasites yet and his droppings seem fine from what ove seen
The urates should be white or very slightly orange to indicate good hydration. Very orange indicates dehydration….super white can indicate over hydration.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He has been healthy and fine every other day and hes starting to get used to me i dont habe that much info

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? We use a screen cage and its huge compared to his size and really tall too, i dont know the exact dimensions since im bad at math
Demensions please. What’s the substrate you’re using? You need to make sure that substrates are not something that they can ingest and become impacted from ingesting accidentally or with some species, on purpose.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We give him heating and uv alot, i turn off the heating when he goes away from it or takes some cover UVB light should be the Arcadia 6.0 or he ReptiSun 5.0 long linear tube light. Folded over or twisted type bulbs are not suitable.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temps seem fine and the basking spot is on some sticks and the ground, he loves resting and basking under the lamp, and the tempatyre at night is good too Temperatures please. No lights inside the cage…chameleon might get burned. Even when the basking light is on the top of the cage, you need to test it to make sure it’s not going to burn your chameleon.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? They are fine theres a good humidity from what ive seen More information please.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Im using live plants yes and we plan to put more in the cage soon, they are jungle plants native ti where he comes from Good. Fake plants are not a good option.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It lifted off the floor by a table and its a little far from a radiator which is at normal room temp
Location - Where are you geographically located? Im in denmark!

His pacing, he ate fine but he continued pacing

Hopefully others will chime in and add to this information.

Last edited:
Hey there welcome to the forum. The husbandry info you provided really does not provide enough detail for me to help. We would need detailed info such as exactly how many feeders and what they are. What the temps and humidity levels are. What are the exact supplements and what is the frequency you use them. Giving us the exact cage dimensions. Specifics on the type of UVB fixture and bulb strength along with exactly what wattage your heat fixture is.

But that fixture needs to come out of the cage.. High thermal burn risk. Needs to sit on top of the screen top of the cage. All lighting needs to be situated like this.

The cham is more than likely stressed. The cage is not really set up for him as it is now.
Alright thanks ill do my best!

Back
Top Bottom