Bulging eye S.O.S

Lininger

Please Help, my veiled chams eye is bulging

When i woke up today there was nothing particularly different abt my veiled chameleon. He had been sick for a week now without energy, his eyes were sunked in, his scales somewhere were black, he had his eyes closed for days. We have been to the vet 5 times to get shots for my chameleon which included nutriens Vitamin B ect.. he started opening his eyes yesterday and i was very happy to see that he was "getting better". We force feed him but most of the times he pukes out all of his food making him 15 grams at 4 months. But today his eye started bulging out, the right one from his view and its bulging out more and more. We are going to see the vet tomorrow but until then what should i do?? Please help, hes my first chameleon and i dont want to loose him.

Attachments

• IMG-b8e8d256ce6f7b9eb5bc52d9fa37cb49-V.jpg
    IMG-b8e8d256ce6f7b9eb5bc52d9fa37cb49-V.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 16840819172343648540218716626007.jpg
    16840819172343648540218716626007.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 16840819435388571723899336602579.jpg
    16840819435388571723899336602579.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 16840819435388571723899336602579.jpg
    16840819435388571723899336602579.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that your chameleon is having problems.

If you answer the questions in the following thread as specifically as possible we can go over your husbandry.

Does your chameleon seem to rest his belly on the branch when he’s walking.

Welcome to the forum!

If you answer the questions in the following thread as specifically as possible we can go over your husbandry.

Tbh he doesn't really walk he just sleeps and now his face is black😕

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen him climb or even walk for a week now, we just put him back after feeding him and he stays there

Has the eye reduced back down to normal size now?

Can you take pics of your entire enclosure including the lights on top. Also pics of the supplements you are using.

Then if you fill out this form by copy then pasting it into your reply and fill it out with detail for us. This will help us to help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Did you take him to the vet’s after the decline started? What’s the basking temperature in the cages?
How old is your chameleon? Are you sure it’s a male?
what specific UVB light are you using? Brand? Long linear or spiral, etc?

Has the eye reduced back down to normal size now?:- No sadly it looks like its bigger too

Can you take pics of your entire enclosure including the lights on top. Also pics of the supplements you are using.

Then if you fill out this form by copy then pasting it into your reply and fill it out with detail for us. This will help us to help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your:-male veiled chameleon 4 months old

How long has it been in your care?:- a month
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?:-2 times a day to feed him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?:- Somtimes we get protein from our vet and we feed him that, we feed him half of the tube at a time, or if we dont get food from the vet we give him crickets abt 1cm long but he just keeps it in his mouth most of the time. We give him water too the same way.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?:-We use "Repti Calcium" and "Reptivite" both from zoo med.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: we usually force him to dring and he drinks 0.3ml 2 times a day like that, and we put drops into his mouth so he drinks like that too. We mist his enclousire 3 times a day in the morning at noon and at night, and the chameleon doesnt drink from the leaves or anyting in the terrarium.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?:- darker green colour sometimes lighter when we first took him to the vet he was almost grey. After shedding there were black colours on his head and it started spreading. He has been tested and he doesnt have any (as i know).
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.:- When we got him ge had appetite went hunting was ok then when he started getting sick he didnt move, he gaped a lot, he was very unwell, he lost appetite all of a sudden, and i even found him once at the bottom of his cage on the soil( he didnt fall i saw him climb down) we went to get antibiaticum shots and after that he was ok nut now he is getting worse.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?:- Glass cage, 40x 40x 80x
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: -Dual on/off switches,twin done lamp, we leave them on for 12 hours.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?:- theres 25,26 C° in th terrarium at the top and a bit lower at the bottom at 20C°. At night it is 23C° the terrarium keeps in the warmth pretty well, we measefu them by a clock thingy that measures the warmth and the hunidity in the terrarium( i dont know the brand of that im sorry).
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?:- it isn as humid in there as it was since we started giving him water by hands. I spray his terrarium with water that isnt cold but isnt warm either. I measure it the same as the warmth.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?:- I use one live plant a fiqus (sorry if i didnt write it right).
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: it is located infront of a big window and a small window on its left, abt in the midle of the room, it isnt located under any airfans or anything really. Its about 2m from the ground its on furniture.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?:-Europe
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.:he has been sick for a week we think that its bacteria or an infection symptomes: gaping, closed eyes, right eye bulging, half of the head is black, has no energy, no appetite, pukes up almost all of his food, cant hunt( when he still had appetite and we showed him the cricket he saw it and tried to make a move but just couldt open his mouth to ise his tounge. He has sunken eyes but now the right one is bulging bad.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 20230515_065702.jpg
    20230515_065702.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230515_065707.jpg
    20230515_065707.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230515_065717.jpg
    20230515_065717.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-1a0efd47d00a7fe18c78ba6e54644d0a-V.jpg
    IMG-1a0efd47d00a7fe18c78ba6e54644d0a-V.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-4f0c4f1d83894602ffa2441aa1ff7338-V.jpg
    IMG-4f0c4f1d83894602ffa2441aa1ff7338-V.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-ff47345f3caebb60b170dc853886a0c3-V.jpg
    IMG-ff47345f3caebb60b170dc853886a0c3-V.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 53
Did you take him to the vet’s after the decline started?-Since the bulging no, but we are taking him today but i doubt they can do anything.
What’s the basking temperature in the cages? -25C°
How old is your chameleon? Are you sure it’s a male?-4 months im not sure but i think its a male and so does everyone.
what specific UVB light are you using? Brand? Long linear or spiral, etc?Piral, dual on/off switches, Dome lamp fixture

Sorry! What vet did you talk to (area)?
There must have been something else going on. We can learn from this event if it happens to someone else. (y)
Just curious-- was he able to eat with the one eye? It seems the infection could be causing a lot of pressure issues (neurological).

Thanks!

So very sorry for your loss... Please let us know if you plan on getting another one. There are husbandry aspects that should be corrected with the enclosure and lighting before you do so. If you are going to I can go through everything so you know what needs to be corrected and what you need to get.

So very sorry for your loss... Please let us know if you plan on getting another one. There are husbandry aspects that should be corrected with the enclosure and lighting before you do so. If you are going to I can go through everything so you know what needs to be corrected and what you need to get.
It's fine i ha dit coming for a week now i had myself mentally prepared.. ty for caring tho:), but i dont think i cen have another pet, but ty really

Back
Top Bottom