Help gravid female

So my local petco has been keeping two panthers together in spite of the fact they were old enough to breed but the female is no where near old enough or big enough for what is considered safe , in my concern I decided to get everything ready to purchase her, I’ve read a lot on lay bins the unfortunate outcomes of being egg bound, The reason for this post is ANY advice you can give me to help this little girl will be GREATLY appreciated

well you will need a minimum 12x12 tub filled with at least 12 inches of playsand, a lot of keepers make the lay bin a permanent part of the enclosure. you also need to give her a lot of privacy I recommend buying a cheap wifi baby monitor and setting it up in her enclosure then covering it by hanging stuff on the walls of her cage or something like that. only opening it to feed and clean. good luck and keep us posted also can you fill out the help form so we can make sure your care is in tip top shape please? thanks in advance!(y):)

Yes I’m sorry, I’m very new to the site but have kept a male for going on 8 years now :) , however I’m very well aware the care and expense that goes into this , I already have a room heated to 75 and am currently incubating with several different stages of caging as well as my own crickets, and have an associates in veterinary science just to assure you their husbandry is something I take very seriously

Answering the questions in the form and posting pics of her viv will help us give you talor made advice for your specific situation vs us just repeating to you the same generic guidelines you’ve been reading...

Just got her today it said she doesn’t eat until she lays , after the picture I took out the crickets, but should I leave some their in case, or will they just disturb her process, also for washing the play sand is dawn ok to wash with ?

Attachments

• A3FB9A50-B8C6-4F0A-92CA-20D769810550.jpeg
    A3FB9A50-B8C6-4F0A-92CA-20D769810550.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 059D08FF-458E-4583-B82D-181C6C4540B4.jpeg
    059D08FF-458E-4583-B82D-181C6C4540B4.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Just got her today it said she doesn’t eat until she lays , after the picture I took out the crickets, but should I leave some their in case, or will they just disturb her process, also for washing the play sand is dawn ok to wash with ?
Don’t use soap when washing the play sand! Washing the play sand means putting sand in either a bucket or fine thread pillow case and running water through it until it runs clear (swirl the sand in the bucket and let it settle with the hose in it). Do it at least 3 times

Could you fill out this form with the most detail possible, with pictures of your enclosure, as well, please?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
I would leave a few crickets in there, contained in a feeder cup or something. After she lays, give her extra calcium and hydration and let her relax. Make sure the cage is covered to where she can’t see you when she lays

Updated she is supposed to be around 6 months they told me , I’m using the reptibreeze medium screen cage, I have the zoo med humidity gauges and thermometer to keep her basking spot at 85-95 during the day my light combo is a 100 watt ceramic heater a 65 watt day blue and 5.0 uvb and at night I shut it off and my room maintains 75, she has a lay bin in the cage 14x14x14 with a live pothos plant , once every two weeks I dust the crickets with herpivite and reptical, her urates have been white up until today I noticed a tinge of Orange , (concerning dehydration) she also has a constant drip, but she doesn’t seem to drink much when I mist her, I monitor the humidity gauges on all the cages to maintain a consistent tropical condition , I got her from petco just a week ago and she had successfully mated a couple days before

This is her enclosure also I don’t handle her at all and I have a monitor in the room so as not to disturb her if she is laying I will see before I go in the room

Attachments

• 89CD62F8-CF35-47D2-AF6A-678405D2AD85.jpeg
    89CD62F8-CF35-47D2-AF6A-678405D2AD85.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 544B7275-028C-4D45-9879-E4AAD088659B.jpeg
    544B7275-028C-4D45-9879-E4AAD088659B.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 18BD5655-6D11-4696-8537-DCD6B8F4D78C.jpeg
    18BD5655-6D11-4696-8537-DCD6B8F4D78C.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 149
  • D3A7CCE9-9493-498E-8A14-A46AA476B39E.jpeg
    D3A7CCE9-9493-498E-8A14-A46AA476B39E.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 106
Updated she is supposed to be around 6 months they told me , I’m using the reptibreeze medium screen cage, I have the zoo med humidity gauges and thermometer to keep her basking spot at 85-95 during the day my light combo is a 100 watt ceramic heater a 65 watt day blue and 5.0 uvb and at night I shut it off and my room maintains 75, she has a lay bin in the cage 14x14x14 with a live pothos plant , once every two weeks I dust the crickets with herpivite and reptical, her urates have been white up until today I noticed a tinge of Orange , (concerning dehydration) she also has a constant drip, but she doesn’t seem to drink much when I mist her, I monitor the humidity gauges on all the cages to maintain a consistent tropical condition , I got her from petco just a week ago and she had successfully mated a couple days before
Please fill out the form with as much detail as possible. She needs a minimum sized cage of 18” by 18” by 36” tall, but preferably 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall or bigger. Are the gauges analogue or digital? Get rid of the blue basking bulb and get a regular white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store (cheaper and lasts longer than a white light reptile basking bulb). Get rid of the ceramic heat emitter, chams need a temp drop at night. Get rid of the compact coil uvb and get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb fixture and bulb (Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med 5.0). Basking should be 85*F. She needs Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding and Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 every two weeks. Or use an all in one supplement every feeding, like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor-gutload Feeders the night before with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall. How often do you mist and for how long? Why would you buy a pregnant female for your first cham? @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

Here’s the form, please fill out every question!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Obviously you haven’t read most of this post one I have two males one going on 8 years two I assure you i work in a vets office and have a degree my setup
Is optimum

Back
Top Bottom