Help gravid female

I've tried helping in this thread & privately. It's quite clear that you want to argue & not use the resources provided. I wish you well & good luck.

I don't think that we are trying to discourage Petco entirely, Petco can be a great animal supply store, we are just trying to discourage the sale of live animals in Petco especially sensitive animals like chameleons

Please fill out the form with as much detail as possible. She needs a minimum sized cage of 18” by 18” by 36” tall, but preferably 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall or bigger. Are the gauges analogue or digital? Get rid of the blue basking bulb and get a regular white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store (cheaper and lasts longer than a white light reptile basking bulb). Get rid of the ceramic heat emitter, chams need a temp drop at night. Get rid of the compact coil uvb and get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb fixture and bulb (Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med 5.0). Basking should be 85*F. She needs Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding and Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 every two weeks. Or use an all in one supplement every feeding, like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor-gutload Feeders the night before with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall. How often do you mist and for how long? Why would you buy a pregnant female for your first cham? @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

She also needs way more branches, vines, and plant cover everywhere throughout her cage

I understand @ERKleRose brought up some amazing points along with the other members of the forum, I hope you understand that we are not trying to attack you but we are trying to do what is best for your chameleon. this forum is all based on opinion and what each member knows if best for chameleons, if you want dead facts check out the care sheets under resources maybe read a book or two? good luck with your cham and I hope you take our advice into account too

I’m not trying to argue any of the advice I’m trying to argue your process of disseminating information , and all that aside why the need to say oh you shouldn’t care for that animal because now petcos inclined to do it again, in all likelihood if petco didn’t adopt her out they would’ve brought her to where I work , and it could’ve been too late for her , I did what I felt was right but I wasn’t asking about whether you felt it was right I merely updated a picture following advice just to get criticism? How is that for the betterment of these animals

And for the record I wasn’t asking you to get published in a medical journal but it didn’t take any pre requisite to post on here (obviously I’m sure some of you wish otherwise) , and if this is truly a cause that your passionate about why not post an article of your collective experiences as panther breeders AS A COMMUNITY, there’s just too much information out there and the female life span is all over the place, but to say I’m doing my part by not buying them, I’m doing my part by telling you that you shouldnt do what you feel is right, isn’t for the betterment in my opinion, but I don’t see how you can say you care so much and then say it’s too much to add your own experience and knowledge, I had the common school of thought 85 good , and unfortunately have had an animal that has lived through the ups and downs of my husbandry , but I really wasn’t trying to have an internet debate , just show my chameleon

I get it and she is gorgeous and I don't want to debate with you, I think all the members are just trying to make your husbandry the best it can be

Thank you , and yes I realize the fact i didn’t articulate what I was trying to say very well at points not to give an autobiography but I was airborne for 5 years (have recently underwent surgery) and have been dealing with the effects of that and the medication but truly was just trying to do what I felt was in my power to do, I know it’s hypocritical and I can’t do it for every one but I just felt I could in this place and am sorry if it offended people

Thank you for telling us all we need to know about you. We are done with you. I recommend you read the care sheets and jannb’s Blog on lay bins for veilds, the info is applicable to panthers as well.

Again I’ve read them I was asking at the very least for people with more knowledge than me to establish an easy to understand thread, if you have 4 people 12 panthers 6 using the lets say “properly weaned method” I apologize if it had an actual name, explain your results and controls vs 6 panthers you’ve raised an ordinary breeding environment , to help people understand , not just say this is indefinite fact figure it out , I didn’t come here to be the smartest guy in the room I was hoping you guys would be

also for those of you if your animal does ever get sick and your exhausted, and just trying to do what you feel is right, I hope the technician doesn’t exacerbate your problems by being rude I hope they’ll do the power they have for the animal in front of them , and really what I was trying to get at is if you really want to make a positive change, but the ONLY outlet you have is to be rude to strangers , maybe rethink your strategy I didn’t come here for ANY of that and when asking for help it shouldn’t get twisted into that period

Last edited:
So you basically want us to start an online scientific study on an online forum. With a bunch of people from all over the world with many different environmental conditions.

Each person has to setup there cages different to ensure proper conditions for there specific chameleon.

There is no cut and paste answer for what is going to work best for your chameleon.

All we can do is give you advice collected from many people who have been breeding for 20+ years.

Again optimal care and health depends on the individual animal.

I mean I get what you are looking for but let’s be realistic we are keepers who dont have time to do control studies across a broad range of environments.

I get that , what about one with just your experience of a female or two bred vs non-bred, how long you’ve kept them going, a little bit about conditions, just a snowball
In the right direction ?

That's what you have here in this forum with the information in the resources, as well as the other resources I've pointed you to. I'm not sure what else you could want. I'm sorry it isn't exactly in the format you desire. I suggest you do your own research.

I get it I’ve read it really I understand , the “too much information female lifespans are everywhere” is the first thing that shows up on google for me when I started, so if there’s so much passion here to say we’ve known this, why not take a little bit of it to help others understand , help narrow down that too much information, maybe helping the lifespan of the animals that were so passionate about

Back
Top Bottom