Heating chameleons in screen cages

jojackson

Hi folks,
in several posts recently, ive been explaining the difficulties of heating screen cages in cool climates and at night. Typical setups having a singular heat source above the cage, means rising heat from the light/bulb is lost and a vertical thermal gradient is therefore difficult to acheive.
I've recently been considering discussing possible alternatives/extras to help overcome this issue.
One idea that comes to mind are Radient Heat Panels, which now are manufactured with inbuilt heat fuses, thermostats and are even water resistant.
Id like to get your thoughts on the idea of experimenting with their use Bottom of screen cage, prefrably outside where a cham on the floor cannot contact it as an alternative to both night time heating (ceramics), since heat rises, and for help in maintaining warmth in the cage (as heat rises through) for folk in colder climates.
What are your thoughts?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant-heat_panel-faq.html
http://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-basics-40-watt-radiant-heat_panel.html
panel.jpg

They work great for my green tree pythons. If they truly are water proof sounds like it would work. I would mount it on the outside though keep him or her from pooping on it and keeps the crickets or insect off of it and your potted plants would probably dry out real quick sitting on it.

are you suggesting to use this below the tank? im not sure i thought that i read something about chams not haveing heat sensors or whatnot in their feet and such, with is why heat sources from below are not great for them, ie heat rocks, pad ect.

not sure tho

It says it's safe for water, but it might make drainage more difficult too. Maybe if it was mounted low on the side of a large enclosure. I like the idea of it, though. Maybe if I would try it after everyone else has worked out all the bugs.

are you suggesting to use this below the tank? im not sure i thought that i read something about chams not haveing heat sensors or whatnot in their feet and such, with is why heat sources from below are not great for them, ie heat rocks, pad ect.

not sure tho

You could be right about the heat sensor on there feet but these things don't get that hot. I mean if you touch it it's warm maybe even hot but not burning hot like a bulb or heat rock.

Yes below the cage, thats true (sort of) hoj, but im talking about below the cage ,outside, to provide ambient warmth, not for basking (this would useless).
Apparently they are water resistant and very easy to clean, but then there would be not much in the way of cham turds on it since its (theoretically) under the screen cage.
They come in a variety of sizes, so with a little reorganisation, plants need not sit on top. could be placed on the side, low, outside (heat still rises)

Good point about drainage mommy (do you have a first name? :)) thats something that would need to be addressed but might, with a little ingenuity, be overcome? Nessesity is the mother of invention ,no??

Its not a terrible alternative, for night only ambient heat. Especially if you only had one cage. It wouldnt be efficient though, since you'd essentially be heating the room with it (all the heat would very quickly escape).

I prefer to just keep the whole room at a tolerable temperature, using an efficient oil-filled rad, and use cages that arent all screen (thus retaining heat better /releasing it more slowly). But I have 10 cages in one small bedroom, so I've got different economies than others might.

Well yeah it would, but the idea being its escaping upward through the cage rather than upward above the cage. Not sure what they might cost to run overnight.
In your case Sandra heating the room itself is obviously a better solution. *shrugs*

Yeah we have heat mats/cords/tape, but they're for contact heating, they dont radiate heat.
It was just a suggestion for people in colder northerly climates as an alternative night heating method really, I dont need a new heat source myself though, its plenty warm here, but thanks! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom