Hawaii Department of Agriculture

TinyDiamond

For Hawaii residents that have Chameleons I emailed HDOA and asked what insects are allowed to be imported in the Hawaiian Islands. Here is the response:

Hello, my name is Chris Kishimoto and I work for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s Plant Quarantine Branch. The Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the import of all plants, plant material, and non-domestic animals into Hawaii, including insects.

Thanks for coming to us with your questions.

Currently, the only insects that can be imported into Hawaii by the general public are mealworms (scientific name: Tenebrio molitor) and vinegar flies (scientific name: Drosophila melanogaster). Both of these insects also require a permit issued by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture, to be allowed for importation. Processing fees for an import permit are $20.00 for a single use permit or $100.00 for a multiple use permit. Permits are valid for 1 year starting from their date of issuance.

No other insects are allowed to be shipped to Hawaii by the general public at this time.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me anytime.

Thank you and have a nice day.

I did ask about local bugs but have not gotten a response yet. I will keep people updated.

Wow! Quick response! I would think that somebody there must have a colony of native roaches, like the Surinam I mentioned in the other post. Maybe keep an eye on Craig’s list or if you have an exotic pet store (other than the chain stores like Petco), ask the reptile people there.

I did ask about local bugs but have not gotten a response yet. I will keep people updated.
If I may, what questions did you ask about local bugs?

At least it’s easy enough to get the permit.
Yes, but $100/year to get mealworms? I would think one person could—or would—have imported some under a one time permit, and begun raising them after that. I wonder (thinking outloud) about commerce between islands, and if they consider all the islands individually or collectively... :unsure:

I agree with MissSkittles about asking reptile specialty stores, and I'd extend that to any herpetological societies or clubs, vendors at reptile shows (if there are any reptile shows in HI—IDK 🤷‍♂️), and perhaps have a chat with the reptile keeper at the Honolulu Zoo.

I see there is (or was) a Hawaii Pet Magazine. It looks like it's probably dog/cat/bird oriented, but may have classifieds worth taking a peek at(?) 🤷‍♂️ (I'm spitballin'/brainstorming at this point).

I see that there used to be (now permanently closed) a pet store called Stacey's Pets
Silk worms may be ordered here (when not in stock) for textile artists. The trade compliments beekeepers in Hawaii because both worms and bees love mulberry bushes. Hence, get your plants together first!

That's another thought—people who raise chickens & other insectivores.

Also looks like there may be a few leads here: HAWAII insect feeders ;)

Back
Top Bottom