look at this if you have wonderful veiled chameleon that you love!!!!!!

AlexB

LOOK AT THIS IT HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(should be a blog................. i wish hey guys this is a great care sheet if you ever need one on your veiled chameleon=======it has everything you need to be a great chameleon owner!!

Information on Veiled Chameleon Husbandry:

* Housing

o The ideal cage

* Constructed with plastic-coated, wire mesh with wood or metal framing

* The wire mesh should be ½" x ½ " or ½" x 1"

* The large mesh provides good ventilation and protection yet a visible barrier

o The cage bottom should not contain any substrate

* The chameleon may accidentally miss a prey item and ingest a small amount of the substrate, possibly causing digestive problems such as an impaction

* For aesthetics, the cage bottom may be covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting

o The chameleon's natural environment should be attempted to be re-created

* Fill with several plants or small trees

* Provide support with natural branches or wood dowels for the larger chameleons

* The overall cage design should provide a natural flow to allow easy access to water, food, and basking sites

* Lighting

o A fluorescent light can be used as overall lighting for the cage

o Full-spectrum, daylight type that also emits some degree of UV-A and UV-B radiation.

o A basking light can be used as a lighting source

o If used as the sole light source, it must be of the newer mercury vapor style light bulbs that emit UV-A and UV-B (i.e., UV Heat, Dragon light, etc.)

o The best source of light is the sun

o Chameleons need access to unfiltered sunlight for at least several hours a week (weather permitting)

* Diet

o A basic nutritious diet may consist of:

* Crickets (Acheta domesticus)

* Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor)

* Superworms (Zoophobias morio)

* Waxworms (Galleria mellonella)

o Continue dusting the insects in calcium carbonate

o Make sure the source of your insects provides them with a well balanced meal because the gut contents of the insects are key in maintaining a healthy diet for the chameleons

* Humidity:

o Veiled chameleons only need about 50% humidity – this can usually be accomplished by misting the plants in the terrarium twice daily

o It is best to invest in a hygrometer to make sure the humidity is in the appropriate range

* Temperature:

o Basking temperatures should be roughly 85˚F

o The remainder of the enclosure should be roughly 70 to 75˚F

o Veiled chameleons thrives better when there is a 10˚ drop in temperature

everything you need to be a great owner

I applaud the attempt but this isn't what I'd call the most thorough care sheet out there. What types of supplements should you use? Just calcium? What brands of fluorescent lights produce the right UVB? Does any fluorescent bulb output UVB lighting, or does the 2.0, 5.0, 10.0 matter? How much water should a chameleon get? These are all things that need to be filled in for this to be useful for someone who doesn't know anything about chameleons.

I will say that the resources page on this forum is almost done and it is going to be the best resource for keepers, new or old. We have very thorough information on every topic regarding the care of most chameleons.

I will say that the resources page on this forum is almost done and it is going to be the best resource for keepers, new or old. We have very thorough information on every topic regarding the care of most chameleons.

And I can hardly wait!! :D

Back
Top Bottom