A depressing, yet serious read about the future of reptiles

I don't think it's that people don't care, but in general I think a lot of people are just constantly overwhelmed with life. There is:
Daily life to plan, taking care of the kids, the house, work stress, the distant family issues,the disease of the month donation, the extra for big disaster fund,
the starving countries, and the most impersonal one: the environment.

We haven't set up our lives in a way in which the average Joe can get involved in environmental issues, because we have let it sit at the bottom of the list. but there really isn't anyone to blame. We are poor care takers as a species, but as individuals we try, but there is just too much that needs our attention.
:(

Oops.......I don't know how that happened but the link is not the one I meant for it to be......I will in future try not to put so many songs in posts (apparently it's "spam" or....... nobody likes it? ....lol....).

But for now... I originally intended this song.......

..sad but true - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6iwP9Ux3A

That article was certainly distressing. It is very disheartening that many do not understand that the tiniest of creatures can serve as primary ecological health indicators in certain ecosystems; many of such species are not warm and fuzzy like the koala or as awe inspiring as the tiger. I myself have a degree in natural science, natural resources and am currently working on my BS in environmental science with an emphasis in ecological restoration. At one of my jobs, I work for an environmental consulting firm where we monitor the impacts of water diversions on salmonid species (steelhead,chinook, and coho salmon). Steelhead and both coho and chinook salmon are a sort if "keystone" species when it comes to determing the ecological well being of watersheds in our area. Their survival and ability to thrive is determined by water quality, temp, and levels of oxygen in the tributaries they spawn in. In recent years agricultural run off has created an influx of algea blooms which deplete O2 levels in both the Eel River and the tributaries that feed it. This is from both the wine and pot growers. Additionally, much of the water from blue line creeks and tributaries are being diverted before they have a chance to replenish the mainstem of the Eel river watersystem (which also supplies a substantial amount of water to the Russian River as well). Such diversions deplete water levels, which in turn deplete the amount of riffles present on these water ways, which in turn deplete O2 levels, warming water temps which then lead to more alfea growth and further depletion of O2 levels. Additionally the diminshed flows are unable to support the movement of boulders and gravel needed for spawning sites. The flow is so low that only fine particulates can be moved via these waterways, silting in habitats that not only affect salmonid species but also red legged frogs and foothill yellow legged frogs- two other species we are monitoring. I know this may seem like a rant but I am just trying to demonstrate that something as small as water temps or lack of adequate CFS water flow has substantial impacts on native populations. Invasive species such as the pike minnow (another species we are monitoring) out competes our native species for resources thus has creating a serious threat to many of our native aquatic inhabitants. These problems of course are man made. Due to this the wild steelhead populations are being replaced with hatchery fish and a once lucrative salmon fishing industry has been nearly eliminated in our area. While in my area there are lots who care about our watersheds and waterways, many also do not understand why we need to "monitor some frogs and fish" or why environmental regulations exist (obviously to protect our natural resources!) This is just one of my jobs...the other deals with nonnative, invasive insects through the Department of Agriculture. Sorry to go on & on...I guess it's the lack if knowledge that keeps many from understanding the complex interactions that occur in nature. Once the balance is disrupted, the consequences seem to have a domino effect. While nature is incredibly resilient, nature simply "balancing out" negative impacts created by mankinds actions is, in my opinion, a very dismissive way to view things. While the earth does find ways to persevere, it will come at a cost that not only effects current species populations, but our own species as well.

Back
Top Bottom