Man arrested on charges of purchasing 500 illegal exotic roaches online

and?.....
so does the exponential breeding rate of about a billion insect species native or otherwise,whats your point?
How many bugs do you suppose make it to foreign shores in cargo holds, boats,containers, human luggage (unintentionally) etc etc?
for that matter, how many insect species make their own way between states in/on cars and trucks, imported food?

The real question is which illegal species do you draw the line at? I think what Florida is trying to do is send a loud and clear message that any species on that list is not welcome in their state. Even though the roaches may seem benign to us, we all see the damage the snakes are doing, I don't blame them.

Bottom line is this guy intended to break the law when he forged the papers. He ignored the availability of all the other feeders available. It's his own stupidity.

So, just wondering, what damage are the snakes doing?

I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I saying non-native pythons running around in florida are a good thing (although I do think it is funny how excited in a positive way many of us are to find chameleons living wild in socal or hawaii or florida) I have only heard of fears that they might feed on certain rare animals, but no reports that they actually have.

I think what Florida is trying to do is send a loud and clear message that any species on that list is not welcome in their state.

Thats fair enough but perhaps the penalty is not, especially where the offender doesn't know its illegal. Its all good and well saying 'then they should know the law', but i'll bet there are dozens if not hundreds of similarly obscure laws you dont have a clue about, until you find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

Bottom line is this guy intended to break the law when he forged the papers. He ignored the availability of all the other feeders available. It's his own stupidity.

No argument with that! :)

There is no doubt they would have some impact on the ecosystem, but a few folk here are suggesting, without any thing excepting perhaps a vivid imagination driven by hype to back it up, that they would be 'devastating', wreak havoc etc.
A grand leap of faith from those who know nothing about them except that are illegal and that lizards like them. I suggest then, on the same basis, any impact would be minimal, and indeed as flux pointed out, a drop in the ocean, and they may aswell list every other non native species of anything around the world. Im betting this is not a new thing, who was looking for these cockroaches before that law came in? maybe they were there years ago already when there was no law against it?
The horse bolted years ago, but quick, shut the gate! :) Only in America!

So, just wondering, what damage are the snakes doing?....

sSince the 2 prominent species in question (retics, burmese) both prey on mammals and birds of considerable size, as adults, smaller prey as youngsters, I'd suggest they compete (to some extent) with those preyed on specie's natural predators for food. They may also, being opportunistic feeders, prey on vulnerable young of said species and thus have an impact on the ecologies dynamics.
They are obviously eating something, which in turn eats something else, and so on, so you have an exponential impact on the local food chain.
Less predators preying on this critter, means more of this critter, which means less of what this critter eats, more of what that critter eats........an imbalance which may see one species explode and another decline, from a given habitat, in the long run changes the dynamics of that ecosystem.
Though invasive species adapt to a niche and nature 'smoothes itself out' in the long run, things are never the less changed.
(if they weren't already) Then people look and say 'oh its terrible, we'd better 'fix' things', so with good intentions in their lunch pail, off they go and remove the invasive species, which now has become part of the local food chain, and mess things up all over again.
By all means, prevent more change if it's practical, but once the 'damage' is done, it's done. Further meddling wont 'fix' it. Its like
spilling a drop ink on a nice clean page then wiping frantically to clean it, it just makes a mess.

Last edited:
Funny thing is you always hear about the Snakes ... but what about the hundreds of iguanas that are living wild in south florida? You don't hear any one yelling about them. So its ok for one non-native but not for another ... just makes me laugh.

I think that comes down to the cost of pushing that particular sh%t uphill, which is what they are doing with iggys. They do pay folk to catch and freeze them to death so they wont crap in folks pools or eat their flowers.
Less pythons than iguanas, cheaper to deal with. More hype (big snakes) scarier to ignorant voters, more support for appearing to make progress, more votes.

I think that comes down to the cost of pushing that particular sh%t uphill, which is what they are doing with iggys. They do pay folk to catch and freeze them to death so they wont crap in folks pools or eat their flowers.
Less pythons than iguanas, cheaper to deal with. More hype (big snakes) scarier to ignorant voters, more support for appearing to make progress, more votes.

I agree your right on point.

The python article I linked to points out that there are literally thousands of non-native species thriving in the same habitat as the pythons.

As they will left to their own devices. Like I said, the horse bolted years ago. :)
Some natives may be under real threat though, those (if any) in isolated populations and small number and reliant on very specific habitat for example.
Some species are uniquely dependent on a specific food source , which if
plundered by an invasive species will not survive, or ones who's breeding habits or strategy is likewise effected by invaders, or where a small number of young are produced infrequently and thus vulnerable to predation outside the norm.
These need protection, likewise the habitat.

Getting tired, this will be the last post of the night, its 430 am here lol. :)

Thankyou NWD, I try hard to keep my post understandable, and if possible light hearted yet informative, if we can laugh along the way, all the better, a day without a good laugh is a day wasted. :)
I try not to take life too seriously, not much point since nobody gets out alive anyway! :D

he's going to jail for forging importing documents.

the roaches are a tiny infraction to the case. he'll get time served for them, I'll bet.

Harry

The real invasive species are river speed bumps, and I mean those darn manatees!! This was posted as merely a joke!! But they are a pain!!

Whats he going to jail for Harry? :p :D
We get it mate, enlighten us though, whats the penalty only for importing/possessing the roaches?
Imo any penalty, unless its deliberate and premeditated is overboard. :)

I think Harry said time served is probably the punishment. Anyway, someone mentioned a horse earlier. That brings up another issue, wild horses weren't always wild in the US. They escaped when we settled here are are the basis of mustangs. FYI Mustangs are protected and adopted out.

yeah yeah we were done talking about that a few pages ago.

:D

Back
Top Bottom