Harlequin Beetles!!!

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Okay so the time has Finnaly come. I have Harlequin Flower Beetles (Flower Scarabs) (Gymnetis thula) on the Way!!!

I am super excited, and going to use this thread, as a intro on them, as well as an ongoing Care Blog/Resource. I welcome anyone to contribute any and all info and experiences with this gorgeous species.

Care Info:
Some basic info that I have been given, and a Roundabout Care Guide for this species.

(Will edit on Laptop in a second)

My Vivarium set up for them. Is a Zilla 18x18x20 which will feature a 1inch drainage layer and 4-6 inches of substrate.

Rough fitting a few pieces of drift wood.
IMG_20190725_122504.jpg

More pics to come over the next few days. When I get their enclosure completed! And Stocked.

Okay so the time has Finnaly come. I have Harlequin Flower Beetles (Flower Scarabs) (Gymnetis thula) on the Way!!!

I am super excited, and going to use this thread, as a intro on them, as well as an ongoing Care Blog/Resource. I welcome anyone to contribute any and all info and experiences with this gorgeous species.

Care Info:
Some basic info that I have been given, and a Roundabout Care Guide for this species.

My Vivarium set up for them. Is a Zilla 18x18x20 which will feature a 1inch drainage layer and 4-6 inches of substrate.

Rough fitting a few pieces of drift wood. View attachment 240873

More pics to come over the next few days. When I get their enclosure completed! And Stocked.
I’ve been going back and forth for awhile now if I wanted to buy one of those beetles. Do post lots of pic of it when you get it. I love bugs

Care Info:

Rough fitting a few pieces of drift wood. View attachment 240873

Your bug enclosure is bigger than some people's cham enclosures :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been going back and forth for awhile now if I wanted to buy one of those beetles. Do post lots of pic of it when you get it. I love bugs

I don't think the question is if you want them, but rather if you can afford them hahaha! Expensive little devil's.

Not the bugs themselves, which they are pretty expensive too. But their substrate is special, and hard to make, and then I had to have a show off Viv for them that was expesensive. I think I'm at about 300 for starting the colony.

And that's just living on the hope I get a female and a male. I have been watching relentlessly a few different sellers. And finnaly Bugs in Cyber space got some but only 4 :( I bought all 4, but now I have to hope to get at least 1 pair.

Your bug enclosure is bigger than some people's cham enclosures :ROFLMAO:

Hmm that's unfortunate lol.

I have another one of these 18x18x20 Zillas on the way, and a 18x18x12 to finish my rack. My snail's were going to go into a tank, then I was going to give them the 18x18x12 but now I think I am going to do the 18x18x24 for them, and put something else in the 18x18x12, what I don't know yet. I wanted to do the Mantids, but IDk they need alot of food.

I don't think the question is if you want them, but rather if you can afford them hahaha! Expensive little devil's.

Not the bugs themselves, which they are pretty expensive too. But their substrate is special, and hard to make, and then I had to have a show off Viv for them that was expesensive. I think I'm at about 300 for starting the colony.

And that's just living on the hope I get a female and a male. I have been watching relentlessly a few different sellers. And finnaly Bugs in Cyber space got some but only 4 :( I bought all 4, but now I have to hope to get at least 1 pair.
Yes that’s the debate if I want to drop that much on them I keep landing on no so I just stare at photos.

Yes that’s the debate if I want to drop that much on them I keep landing on no so I just stare at photos.

Well you could keep them in an aquarium, so that curbs alot of cost. I just wanted to have a Viv, as they are semi aboreal, and if they have a big enough Viv they will do thekr FUI. (Flying under the influence)

I'm not sure if it's the fermented wood they eat, or the rotten fruit, but they fly like they are drunk. Fly into walls, swerve while flying and stuff. Terrible flyers but I read they don't do it much so that's good.

I love it, this Viv is drying silicon. I decided against the big driftwood, and used the smaller piece as the back accent. I am putting the pipe in for the drainage layer (have to go get egg crates and stuff tonight) and low and behold, there's fed ex with 2 more Vivariums......

The universe is saying No breaks.....

I am happy to be moving all my bugs into the pretty rack and stuff, but man this is alot of work. I still have yet to take the rack back down and install the new heat tape and LEDs. And now I have to find a stand for the snail viv to hide in the corner behind my speaker. As I am giving them the 18x18x24 I had around.

So after a grusemome and scary shipping delay over the weekend, where they were stuck in Pheonix in a heatwave, they arrived safely today.

Here they are, super dehydrated munching on some much needed Jello.
IMG_20190729_133258.jpg

I put them into their new home, though there is still more plants to come and some Moss going to be added, they didn't seem to mind. They explored for a min and then burrowed, to rest and cool down.

IMG_20190729_151756.jpg

I still want to add at minium, a Lemon Button Fern, and a Ficus pumila covering the walls. I need to try to keep plants on the sides and back, but make them fill in the center area well. I might do some epiphytes on the branches as well. And miss everywhere. I want it to be beautiful, but I have to be careful as I still need some soil access to be able to get Nymphs out later. I might redo this setup and put the plants in pots, they don't need the special soil, and it will make it easier to dig. I will hide the pots of course, and maybe put screen around the plants to keep them out.

So after a grusemome and scary shipping delay over the weekend, where they were stuck in Pheonix in a heatwave, they arrived safely today.

Here they are, super dehydrated munching on some much needed Jello.
View attachment 241336

I put them into their new home, though there is still more plants to come and some Moss going to be added, they didn't seem to mind. They explored for a min and then burrowed, to rest and cool down.

View attachment 241337

I still want to add at minium, a Lemon Button Fern, and a Ficus pumila covering the walls. I need to try to keep plants on the sides and back, but make them fill in the center area well. I might do some epiphytes on the branches as well. And miss everywhere. I want it to be beautiful, but I have to be careful as I still need some soil access to be able to get Nymphs out later. I might redo this setup and put the plants in pots, they don't need the special soil, and it will make it easier to dig. I will hide the pots of course, and maybe put screen around the plants to keep them out.
How big are they?

Are you breeding them as feeders or are these just super cool insect pets? Expensive?

The goal is both!

I'm not sure if a Cham can handle eating the beetle, or if they would like it. I think beetles put out nasty tasting stuff, that's bitter. But maybe I will give it a shot. They are sold as beetles and larvae as feeders.

Larvae is the true feeder, they are somewhat gutloadable, very high in moisture, though fairly high in fat. Sandra classed them as Enrichment feeders (well pachnoda larvae, but they are the same thing, this is a Flower Beetle, but she put them under the same)

Expensive and hard to find! I have been looking for a longggg time lol for them. They get them in stock at a few different places, rarely and when they do they are gone fast. That's why I only got 4, that's all they had, and I have been checking 2 times a week for months lol. Beetles 15 a pop, larvae 8, if you can find them in stock. Though if my breeding takes off, I will likely sell larvae for half that for those interested in getting a colony going :).

I am not sure why they are so hard to find, breeders say they are very prolific. I guess, it's just how long it takes from larvae to beetle and then new larvae, IDK.

The added cost, is the substrate though. They are sort of demanding, though not that much compared to other beetles. They need a rotting wood substrate, as that is what the Grubs eat. You can buy this (expensive) or make it. Basically you want a substrate, composed of rotting wood and leaves (mostly leaves for this species) and leaf litter on top.

What I did, is mix the methods. I have been told use 1/3 eco earth, 1/3 leaf litter and 1/3 wood. I have also been told you can use organic potting soil/compost with a ton of leaf litter and some wood. And there is buyable substrate. Other beetles require more wood, then leaf so it's more justified there, theirs needs to be formented ect, I am told these don't not.

So what I did, was buy a kit off bugs in cyber space, 22 dollars I believe. Which wasn't nearly enough for my Viv. So I mixed that, with substrate I made. Mine was ground leaf litter a little over half (oak), then 3 parts eco earth, 1 part Sphag, and 1 part Oak bark from a dead decaying tree. I made that into a slurry in the blender, too break the sphag and bark into dust.

I am not sure how any of this soil will work. But the other breeder I was waiting to buy from, said he uses 4 dollar potting soil with a ton of leaf little ground mixed in, and leaf litter on top. He said it works great for him.

The larvae will also eat, apples left on the substrate, though sparingly.

The second thing is the beetles food is demanding. I made a recipe, on another thread, that they are eating, I will copy it here in a bit. They will not just eat whatever you give them like roaches, their diet consists of fruits and pollen, they will only eat very sugary foods. Though I did sneak in some splirinua and bee pollen in my blend and they were munching it down.

The Jelly is pretty easy to make, (premade beetle jelly is expensive) they will take fresh Bannana, Apples and Oranges though.

So what I am saying is, that's probably why they are rare lol. They are neat, and decent treats, but very high maintenance compared to Roaches, Crickets and Supers. Plus their cost, I am in about 300, for 4 beetles unsexed, so just for a chance at a colony, though most of that is supplies that I can carry over to another chance if needed.

Though I went all out, fancy Viv mixing high quality substrate and leaf litter, ect. A 10 gallon tank is more than fine, with some 4 dollar grubs, you could get out alot cheaper.

The goal is both!

I'm not sure if a Cham can handle eating the beetle, or if they would like it. I think beetles put out nasty tasting stuff, that's bitter. But maybe I will give it a shot. They are sold as beetles and larvae as feeders.

Larvae is the true feeder, they are somewhat gutloadable, very high in moisture, though fairly high in fat. Sandra classed them as Enrichment feeders (well pachnoda larvae, but they are the same thing, this is a Flower Beetle, but she put them under the same)

Expensive and hard to find! I have been looking for a longggg time lol for them. They get them in stock at a few different places, rarely and when they do they are gone fast. That's why I only got 4, that's all they had, and I have been checking 2 times a week for months lol. Beetles 15 a pop, larvae 8, if you can find them in stock. Though if my breeding takes off, I will likely sell larvae for half that for those interested in getting a colony going :).

I am not sure why they are so hard to find, breeders say they are very prolific. I guess, it's just how long it takes from larvae to beetle and then new larvae, IDK.

The added cost, is the substrate though. They are sort of demanding, though not that much compared to other beetles. They need a rotting wood substrate, as that is what the Grubs eat. You can buy this (expensive) or make it. Basically you want a substrate, composed of rotting wood and leaves (mostly leaves for this species) and leaf litter on top.

What I did, is mix the methods. I have been told use 1/3 eco earth, 1/3 leaf litter and 1/3 wood. I have also been told you can use organic potting soil/compost with a ton of leaf litter and some wood. And there is buyable substrate. Other beetles require more wood, then leaf so it's more justified there, theirs needs to be formented ect, I am told these don't not.

So what I did, was buy a kit off bugs in cyber space, 22 dollars I believe. Which wasn't nearly enough for my Viv. So I mixed that, with substrate I made. Mine was ground leaf litter a little over half (oak), then 3 parts eco earth, 1 part Sphag, and 1 part Oak bark from a dead decaying tree. I made that into a slurry in the blender, too break the sphag and bark into dust.

I am not sure how any of this soil will work. But the other breeder I was waiting to buy from, said he uses 4 dollar potting soil with a ton of leaf little ground mixed in, and leaf litter on top. He said it works great for him.

The larvae will also eat, apples left on the substrate, though sparingly.

The second thing is the beetles food is demanding. I made a recipe, on another thread, that they are eating, I will copy it here in a bit. They will not just eat whatever you give them like roaches, their diet consists of fruits and pollen, they will only eat very sugary foods. Though I did sneak in some splirinua and bee pollen in my blend and they were munching it down.

The Jelly is pretty easy to make, (premade beetle jelly is expensive) they will take fresh Bannana, Apples and Oranges though.

So what I am saying is, that's probably why they are rare lol. They are neat, and decent treats, but very high maintenance compared to Roaches, Crickets and Supers. Plus their cost, I am in about 300, for 4 beetles unsexed, so just for a chance at a colony, though most of that is supplies that I can carry over to another chance if needed.
Fascinating! Thanks for all the details. These sound right up my alley, please keep us posted on how they do, hopefully you have both males and females and they breed for you. How long do they live for?

Oh forgot to add. They are strange ones.

While handling to move around from their paper towel that was dry cup (delay in shipping, I was worried!) To a temp deli cup with substrate then into their Viv, I had to handle them.

I was told they would play dead, from one person and that they will let you hold them by another. Truth is it's mixed bag. One played dead, and another griped on and starting walking on my hands. Content to hang out. So it seems like Chams, they each have their own personality.

They have a damn Kung Fu grip. They are hard to peel from whatever they don't want to come off of, even your finger. They have sort of spiney legs, but mostly they just hold on tight. It's actually amazing, how tight they grip your finger for such a small thing.

There backs, I think have some fur or fuzz. You cant really feel it, but they feel soft, like a blanket not like a beetle, and they look soft, and when they are sprayed with water it sort of repels off them. It's very strange.

They change colors, I guess their is multiple morphs, as 2 were in one cup and are red/orange and the other 2 yellow/green, I though they were only Yellow/Green, so I was surprised to see the Red/Orange variant, but have seen others have the same concern. Were told, it just happens, some are orange some are green.

Their color change has to do with humidity, in high humidity they are orange/green in low they are Red/Yellow.

Fascinating! Thanks for all the details. These sound right up my alley, please keep us posted on how they do, hopefully you have both males and females and they breed for you. How long do they live for?

I was adding more lol. I need to make a blog post on them hahaha.

Anyway, 8 months if kept humid, 5-6 if not. They can handle both, but live longer when kept humid. They were dry when they arrived, after being exposed to humidity they began to change, over a 15 min or so period they were solid Green/Orange, a Stark contrast between the Blood Red/Yellow of being dry. I didn't get pics of the full on change, after I placed them in their forever home they bolted into the substrate. I'll snap pics when they grace me with their presence again. I hear they are active, and like to climb around and such, so shouldn't be long. They probably just needed to cool down, soak, and take a nice nap lol.

So you will easily know if they are humid enough or not, Quickly.

From what I been told on Sexing, though don't have firm confirmation this applies to this species. The 2 I checked, before being told it should work for them, seem female. I was told by Peter at Bugs in Cyber Space, that Females, are usually already Gravid when shipped and can have a few clutches from mating. So if the sexing applies, I have at least 2 female, and will have a clutch hopefully. I got told that was how you sex these (which is true of most Scarabs,) after they bolted into the Viv.

Oh forgot to add. They are strange ones.

While handling to move around from their paper towel that was dry cup (delay in shipping, I was worried!) To a temp deli cup with substrate then into their Viv, I had to handle them.

I was told they would play dead, from one person and that they will let you hold them by another. Truth is it's mixed bag. One played dead, and another griped on and starting walking on my hands. Content to hang out. So it seems like Chams, they each have their own personality.

They have a damn Kung Fu grip. They are hard to peel from whatever they don't want to come off of, even your finger. They have sort of spiney legs, but mostly they just hold on tight. It's actually amazing, how tight they grip your finger for such a small thing.

There backs, I think have some fur or fuzz. You cant really feel it, but they feel soft, like a blanket not like a beetle, and they look soft, and when they are sprayed with water it sort of repels off them. It's very strange.

They change colors, I guess their is multiple morphs, as 2 were in one cup and are red/orange and the other 2 yellow/green, I though they were only Yellow/Green, so I was surprised to see the Red/Orange variant, but have seen others have the same concern. Were told, it just happens, some are orange some are green.

Their color change has to do with humidity, in high humidity they are orange/green in low they are Red/Yellow.
That's crazy, fuzzy beetles? Nature is so awesome. I need more insects like a hole in the head but I've been thinking of beetles because they're just so cool looking and awkward.

That's crazy, fuzzy beetles? Nature is so awesome. I need more insects like a hole in the head but I've been thinking of beetles because they're just so cool looking and awkward.

They are,

So one came out for a Photo shoot. She was on the front venting, chilling. (Assuming the sexing too is right it's a she).

I put it on a branch, it chilled for some photos then started sticking it's 2 front legs in the air, like it was throwing it's arms up lol, then tried to fly, fell (they don't fly well) and is now crawling on the screen top.

These are going to be fun lol. Took some reference to size pics with the closest thing I had y'all have surely seen.

IMG_20190729_192522.jpg

IMG_20190729_192614.jpg

And photo OP!!

IMG_20190729_192858.jpg

IMG_20190729_192905.jpg

After getting close to him with the phone, this is when it started throwing hands, lol.

Beetles do seem bad at flying, it's funny! I was camping and there were these big cool beetles flying around and we were able to easily grab them right out of the air.

Great photos. Do you know how long they live?

Beetles do seem bad at flying, it's funny! I was camping and there were these big cool beetles flying around and we were able to easily grab them right out of the air.

Great photos. Do you know how long they live?

Ya I told ya, look at the post before that one. 5-8 months as beetles, though. Higher humidity longer life.

Back
Top Bottom