Harlequin Beetles!!!

WoW. They are fairly common in my pasture.... So, I guess, perhaps should I catch some, I can share later this year.... ?

Yes you should. I meant expensive and hard to find in the hobby. Surely they are easy to find in the wild.

The issue is there, they have a small range, in Texas, where I gather you live? And not really anywhere else. (I assumed you live in Texas from your other posts).

There has been statements of Sightings elsewhere, but never a documented case, with a photo for correct ID.

(I assumed you live in Texas from your other posts).
There has been statements of Sightings elsewhere, but never a documented case, with a photo for correct ID.
Ah!
Then, allow me to give a documented case:
Photo sent to an entomologist for confirmation.
Location: North Central Johnson County, Texas 20170425_200002.jpg
Date: April 2019
This beetle was on a Bois-d'arc tree with numerous butterflies and a breeding pair of click bugs.

Ah!
Then, allow me to give a documented case:
Photo sent to an entomologist for confirmation.
Location: North Central Johnson County, TexasView attachment 260090
Date: April 2019
This beetle was on a Bois-d'arc tree with numerous butterflies and a breeding pair of click bugs.

Thats a harlequin alright. Your in the Area, some of Texas, NM, and here in AZ has them. They are a south west exclusive Pretty much, with some cases in Florida touted.

There is your wild feeders, Click bugs, and Harlequin like beetles are wild cuisine taken in large amounts by chameleons.

So got kind of an Emerge, I am not sure it was/is ready to emerge.

It's capsule was broken, and I made an artificial one for it. As I think I said. So I have some updates.

I thought I took pics (and I should have) of the Pupae developing, if got darker, from the middle out, more and more everyday.

Today, he had shed his pupa skin, and it was holding on a wing that was it. I pulled it from his wing for him. And left him for now, in his chamber.

IMG_20200321_081940.jpg

He's a green and brown, so not done with his process yet I don't think.

None of the other beetles have emerged from their balls yet.

I wonder if they have to climb a plant and hang for their wings to correctly fill out, like butterflies do. Not sure it matters in our use for them, and considering the small areas we plan to keep them in.

I wonder if they have to climb a plant and hang for their wings to correctly fill out, like butterflies do. Not sure it matters in our use for them, and considering the small areas we plan to keep them in.

Nope, I broke another shell, that I found before the one that got broken, he was further done, and better done in his shell his wings are in, shell is harder, colors more there was starting to break his own shell. The dirt shell does everything for them.

I think my makeshift shell, wasn't the best for the other guy, or he needed more time. I fed him to my cham, as his shell was on the softer side, and I wanted to see if my guy would even like these. He did, he ate it took a lot of chewing but he seemingly got it down fine, isn't acting weird after eating it or anything.

However again, the shell was on the softer side, as it was not done yet.

I'm not going to feed anymore from this generation most likely until the end of their lifespan, or near it.

Back
Top Bottom