Hardest post ever...

Your talking about a reptil as if it were a human :eek:. It's a bad thing, I've also lost chameleons, but it's not the most important thing in the world:eek:

My first thought when I saw this was, "Does this guy have any friends?"

Does "Emotional Support" carry any weight with you? Even though it is not the "biggest issue in the world" does not mean that it will not cause someone, or many someones, to become saddened.

What was it that caused you to even type that?

Eisentrauti should try showing some compassion. This thread has had me in tears more than once today, and I am not ashamed to admit that! I really do hope that Lombardi is found.

Last edited:
and starvation in "Africa" (which is pretty general statement, Africa is a continent not a country, the ENTIRE continent is not starving). This is a CHAMELEON forums, I am shocked you are surprised the people care about CHAMELEONS on the CHAMELEONSFORUMS.

First of all it's the way people caring here about their chameleons - that isn't normal.
And if you believe it or not, it know that Africa is a continent and not a country...:rolleyes:
Congratulation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPoLauVX94
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml

Joe, after some research on crow behavior, I found that they will drop prey and or items they can't consume with ease in the street. Don’t want to say it, but street/cars...breaking food apart...etc, you can get where I'm going with that one..:eek: That may sound far fetched but its true. Crows are actually very smart and have adapted to modern civilization very well. I'm just saying don't limit your search to the trees in the surrounding area. Check the front yard, and surrounding area. Good luck Joe.

-Jay

My first thought when I saw this was, "Does this guy have any friends?"

Yes and thats even one of the reasons why I post in this thread. While reading some of the contributions I believe that many people here have just their chameleons as friends, at least they treat them like humans

First of all it's the way people caring here about their chameleons - that isn't normal.
And if you believe it or not, it know that Africa is a continent and not a country...:rolleyes:
Congratulation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPoLauVX94
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml

I don't know what's more ridiculous, you linking an article about a generalization about Americans from FOUR years ago, or the fact you actually think it applies to an entire country.

There is nothing unnatural going on, sure I am not bawling my eyes out here. But if someone loses a pet, you would think they'd be upset and would do their best to find it. But I guess he should just not look, or something? I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. Stop being a jerk.

He should search him, I would do the same ! I just don't understand why some people behave like it's the end of the world, that's everything

To the offtopic: Why do you think that I didn't know that Africa is a country ? And the article is still up to date or do you claim that the numbers change a lot ?

if i were local i would help search for your lost chameleon. i read one reply that said search at night. i don't think thats a bad idea. he'll still need his sleep. but the streets and grass may also be a good place to look. i know i lost my guy in my apartment once he treked across the whole thing; living room, dining room, down the hall way to the bathroom where he hung on the back side of my garbage can. i was only gone 3 hours! best of luck you find him a little bruised but un-hurt.

To search at night is really the best idea, but not just because the chameleon is sleeping. They normally take the outest places on the branches to sleep and they reflect the light very well. So this is probably the best way to find it before a predator has a nice snack

Hello, just as a friendly reminder:
  1. Members must show respect for others at all times. This is crucial to maintaining a friendly environment. There are no exceptions.

I do not think several posts above mine is a warrant enough to do some action.
but, I would love to nip this in the bud before it goes out of control.

I see Common Sense Vs Compassion is at play here.
Both has valid points.
Some people have preference of one over the other and please be aware that none can claim one is better than the other.
Please stick to the main point of socalison's post and give him the respect he deserve.

The poor guy just lost his beloved pet.
and It is his right to mourn over the incidents regardless of anyone's opinion. After all, it is his pet.
and I knew for a fact that losing one's pet can be a devastating incident.

Thanks

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Chamgirl.

Eisen, that was just rude and uncalled for, your attitude is usually sour, but that was seriously a low blow, and pretty much one of the more ridiculous things I've read.

In debate we call that a slippery slope. Really, I have no idea how you made the inferential leap, that spending his free time looking for his lost chameleon would somehow lead to starvation in Africa. GTFO with that, seriously.

Perhaps Eisentrouti could have been a little more subtle, but never the less, 9 pages in I have to say I understand what hes saying, sorry.
While I sympathise with the loss of a pet, I did read through this lot and earlier posts (now gone) were way over the top, one in particular (no offence to the poster who ever it was) would have made ©Hallmark sick! Full of shmaltz so thick you'd need a trowel,
gushing with every cliche known to man, talk of angels and large sunset images!!!

C'mon, get real, at the end of the day it is a bloody lizard, no matter how fond a pet,
as opposed to a child or loved one for example. Id expect and be a contributer to such emotional outpourings if he had lost a child in any circumstances (Im a parent), but lets not over do it! Even the carebears are throwing up!

I wish you the best , hope you are lucky enough to find your lost pet, I do understand that greif over a lost pet is real (my 20 year old dog died before xmas), but dont jump on eisentrouti because he see's things the same way and isnt as skillful with expressing his veiw. OK

:)

Yes Chamaeleo Calyptratus... Veiled Chameleon, Just a lizard... But a lizard that I have raised from 12 grams to almost 200, spent hours upon hours of my life, and hundreds of dollars on just this little chameleon to make sure I am doing everything necessary for this cham to live a happy comfortable life in my possession. And watching him thrive in my possession and learn to trust me, has added to my attachment. So I guess if you look at it... While he is just a lizard... He is actually a lot more than that to me. If you can't understand that(which I know most on this forum can), then you should have been hugged more as a child. Maybe I am a naive animal freak...but I love that lizard... Which makes him a loved one in my book.

BUT ANYWAY!!!!

LOMBARDI IS BACK!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I AM ECSTATIC!!!!

SLOWFOOT!!! I owe it all to you!!!

Please keep looking for him - don't give up!

I'm betting that if he got a good bite in, a crow would drop him. Chams are also very responsive to, and good at escaping, bird predators. It's possible he used the classic cham 'drop to the ground and run like heck' move. He could still be nearby.

When I lived in SoCal, I caught two large male veileds that were just running loose, so he could be okay out there for a long time. Have you considered borrowing someone's female veiled to use as 'bait'? Set up a female in a screen cage in areas that look likely - doesn't matter if she's receptive or not. A friend of mine who lost a male panther used this technique and recovered his cham.

Just suggestions. I'm very sorry for your loss :(

I had never even thought of this... But when I read your post when I was at home for lunch today I thought that was a great Idea... Lombardi LOVES the ladies. So I took his lady Sookie out in a cage that was visible from most parts of the area... And let her stay in there while I went back to work for the last half of the day. When I got home I went right to the cage... And sure enough... Lombardi was hanging on the side of the cage with his colors flaring. He is FINE! No visible marks or scratches! He did seem quite shaken up and actually very aggressive with me for the first time since I owned him when I brought him in. I am thinking the crow tried to land on the tree to grab him, knocking the tree over, and giving Lombardi time to duck into the bushes real quick.... Thank Goodness!!!

I have to sincerely thank everyone who posted with such kind words... I don't know I would have ever found him had it not been for the people on this forum offering me advice and condolences, but most of all...telling me not to give up. I am so happy right now...

I will stop before someone tells me there are better things in the world to be happy about.

Thanks Again Guys!!!

Last edited:
Joe, That's great news! I was thinking that I bet he saw the crow coming with those great eyeballs of his and took evasive action. But couldn't stay away from the ladies!

I am so unbelievably happy for you.

He may be a chameleon, but it's obvious how much you really care about his well being. Tough guy, I wonder what he was up to during his absence?

Back
Top Bottom