Hardest post ever...

Good points about keeping hope up everyone. I was thinking about it last night, too. If Lombardi got a chance to bite, and veileds usually do, I don't think a crow would've wanted anything else to do with him afterwards. Wishing you luck.

I'm so very, very sorry to hear about your loss; I've really enjoyed seeing the pictures of Lombardi and watching all the chams from that clutch grow. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose one. I'll admit I've left Thaxter outside for a moment while I've gone in for something; I certainly won't again. I'm so glad you've got the eggs.

Read this two days ago and was very upset, but i just thought about it and i went to this thread and saw some people took the words out of my mouth. Crows aren't very sly! idk how a cham wouldnt see it and either hide in the fake tree or lunge and demolish the crow. I hope some how he is ok and finds his way home, with a black trophy in his mouth!

Hey Joe,

So sorry to hear about what happened to Lombardi. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that he's still out there somewhere.

Oh and it's not silly to miss him that much. Some chameleons really are that awesome. :)

Take care,
Suzanne

I was wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about this since it was posted. Are there any organizations like a vol fire company or animal rescue group that could do a thermal imaging sweep with a camera on the tops of the trees around where this happened in the early evening? I know this may seem a bit absurd but if it is at all possible that would be a tool in looking for him.

Please keep looking for him - don't give up!

I'm betting that if he got a good bite in, a crow would drop him. Chams are also very responsive to, and good at escaping, bird predators. It's possible he used the classic cham 'drop to the ground and run like heck' move. He could still be nearby.

When I lived in SoCal, I caught two large male veileds that were just running loose, so he could be okay out there for a long time. Have you considered borrowing someone's female veiled to use as 'bait'? Set up a female in a screen cage in areas that look likely - doesn't matter if she's receptive or not. A friend of mine who lost a male panther used this technique and recovered his cham.

Just suggestions. I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Please keep looking for him - don't give up!

I'm betting that if he got a good bite in, a crow would drop him. Chams are also very responsive to, and good at escaping, bird predators. It's possible he used the classic cham 'drop to the ground and run like heck' move. He could still be nearby.

When I lived in SoCal, I caught two large male veileds that were just running loose, so he could be okay out there for a long time. Have you considered borrowing someone's female veiled to use as 'bait'? Set up a female in a screen cage in areas that look likely - doesn't matter if she's receptive or not. A friend of mine who lost a male panther used this technique and recovered his cham.

Just suggestions. I'm very sorry for your loss :(

i feel very sorry for you, do you think you will get another?

The more I think about it and read all these wonderful responses, I am beggining to think he is still out there. I don't think I will ever give up on looking for him. My neck is starting to hurt from staring up into the trees so much. Last night when I went out with the flashlight I started getting that feeling... Like "He has to be out here somewhere." I just had a gut instinct like he was around close just watching. There are a lot of high, thick trees right around my house, that he would LOVE to be kicking it in... Only scary part is... Aside from crows... I have a family of about 20 squirells that live in these trees surrounding my property. I am not giving up... I am posting up signs tonight, and going to give a good search in the neighbors yards. I will let you know how it goes. I may try to getting another someday... But at this moment I don't think I could bring myself to try to replace him.

I sure hope he is just out there taking a nature walk. What are the temps like in your area at night lately? I know here it would be too darn cold for the poor guy. At least he has got some good size to him which hopefully would make him easier to spot. Have my fingers crossed he comes home safe!

If Lombardi is anything like his Dad you can't mistake that sleeping glow-get you a posse and some strong flashights.

We are talking here about a Chamaeleo calyptratus right ? When I read some posts here I have my doubts. In Africa thousends of people die every day because of starvation...

We are talking here about a Chamaeleo calyptratus right ? When I read some posts here I have my doubts. In Africa thousends of people die every day because of starvation...
If that is all you can say then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.
Also you seem the last person fit for taking on a chameleon with that attitude.

As to the poor soul who has lost his chameleon, I feel tearful reading this. I hope to god Lombardi is out there somewhere. Just bear in mind he may be hurt and not able to travel far. I too wouldn't give up searching for him, to be honest I don't think I would be able to sleep at night until I had done this. If nothing else this thread will have saved many chameleons, I will think again when I take my chameleon out this summer in the garden. I will remember this thread. Thank you for the warning, fingers crossed for Lombardi X

Your talking about a reptil as if it were a human :eek:. It's a bad thing, I've also lost chameleons, but it's not the most important thing in the world:eek:

If that is all you can say then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.
Also you seem the last person fit for taking on a chameleon with that attitude.

As to the poor soul who has lost his chameleon, I feel tearful reading this. I hope to god Lombardi is out there somewhere. Just bear in mind he may be hurt and not able to travel far. I too wouldn't give up searching for him, to be honest I don't think I would be able to sleep at night until I had done this. If nothing else this thread will have saved many chameleons, I will think again when I take my chameleon out this summer in the garden. I will remember this thread. Thank you for the warning, fingers crossed for Lombardi X

Gotta agree with Chamgirl.

Eisen, that was just rude and uncalled for, your attitude is usually sour, but that was seriously a low blow, and pretty much one of the more ridiculous things I've read.

In debate we call that a slippery slope. Really, I have no idea how you made the inferential leap, that spending his free time looking for his lost chameleon would somehow lead to starvation in Africa. GTFO with that, seriously.

Instead of posting on this forum you could be donating money to a cause, or volunteering your time if you are so concerned with how other people are allocating their time, and starvation in "Africa" (which is pretty general statement, Africa is a continent not a country, the ENTIRE continent is not starving). This is a CHAMELEON forums, I am shocked you are surprised the people care about CHAMELEONS on the CHAMELEONSFORUMS.

To socali, sorry your thread was turned into a stupid argument because of some strange forum nationalism. I hope you find Lombardi soon, and if you need man power, I am local to you and can offer my help as well as my GFs.

Back
Top Bottom