Had to euthanize my buddy tonight... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Provoking Javsto will only make him reply more to this thread.

Its a shame what happened to the chameleon. Simple mistakes and situations like this that can be avoided kill them quite often. Sometimes they are not thought about until its too late or a situation like this (roomie bringing the animal back into the room) happens. Its a shame but it happens. For those unfortunate enough to have it happen to that come on here and explain their situation helps us all remember to be extra cautious.

Sorry, Ling, for the unfortunate situation.

Ever hear this before? I can be a smart ass, but it's better than being a dumb ass.

And my reply is if the shoe fits wear it!!!
Or you could be the better person and go barefoot. :rolleyes:

Let's just all be friends now mkay?

Or you could be the better person and go barefoot. :rolleyes:

Let's just all be friends now mkay?

O we kewl:) I just hate the lack of compassion. Heck we have all made mistakes with our reptiles at 1 point in time. Heck about 7 weeks ago I chopped our new baby milk snake in half right in front of my 11yr old daughter. I felt like crap,but I learned not to use reptiurms with opening front doors. I know I woulda felt worse then I did if I tried to share with others what not to do and got bashed by something I had never thought of b4 happening(snake bolted out of the side as I shut the door):(

But what I'm saying is that even though you do all those thing, accidents happen and there is no way anybody can account for every danger. If we could there wouldn't be children in the news about every day. He tried to provent this, and wasn't looking for people to give him sympathy or critize him. He was just sharing his story so others can learn with him.

im sorry but i dont think i read the same thing you did. tell me how he tried to prevent it after the fact? im sure this is a lesson to be learned by all who read it but where do you read that he tried to prevent it? prevention is something you do before anything bad can happen, imo. not after spmething already occurs and you had time to ponder what you could have done better so it doesnt happen again.

An exclamation of surprise and/or disbeleif. IN this case that you wont just let it go. Crikey mate, your an angry mob all by yourself , bad day?

All you had to say in the first place. Maybe you should find a bar and knock a few back?

You are forever known as Sledgehammer now!

all in all i was trying to figure out what you were trying to tell me which might be common knowledge down under but not where I am from. As far as letting it go Im just answering the post directed at me and expressing my opinion. Plus I dont drink on a regular basis, mainly special occasions and i think ill name my pet Sledge in your honor. But I wont be putting any shrimps on my barbie cause i hate shellfish. make it a nice elk burger instead and ill put one on for you too and a guiness or fosters so you dont feel to far from home.

Where the heck did that paragraph of a sentence about boyfriends, alcohol and zombie video games come from? I mean, if you're going to be a sledgehammer (which you should stop doing in the first place) at least stay on topic and don't start rambling on about things the OP never mentioned doing/things that have nothing to do with the issue.

I mean, my dog could never jump up onto the barstools in the kitchen and get on the counter... until the day that he could, and got up there, and ate his weight in chocolate (he's fine now). Sounds like the OP wasn't even aware the rat had been put back in the room, but even if she had, we can't always predict things that haven't happened. Now, I make sure the dog can't get to chocolate. I'm sure from now on she'll make sure her chameleons can't crawl on the rat cage.

Lingling, I'm very sorry for your loss. You did the right thing in euthanizing him.

read the whole thread instead of jumping in from the middle next time and maybe you'll get a better understanding of what I was trying to say or point out.

But I wont be putting any shrimps on my barbie cause i hate shellfish. make it a nice elk burger instead and ill put one on for you too and a guiness or fosters so you dont feel to far from home.

Are you a crack baby or something? What the heck does that have to do with anything? And the boyfriends and zombies too. A little trouble focusing, ehh? Maybe you should read the thread from the beginning.

I want to say how very sorry I am to hear that this happened. Though this is a very sad and terrible accident, it does provide a learning opportunity for those currently free ranging and those that are considering it.

Lingling take this as an opportunity to learn. I do hope you continue your chameleon endeavors.

I am glad you brought this to the attention of the free-ranging community that accidents can and will happen and that it is perhaps not for beginners and should NOT be recommended to just anyone. That is what I am getting from this conversation that has been going back and forth anyway.

I must agree with this statement. Free ranging is not for beginners and not for everyone. I do free range and I do believe in it, but it isn't the ideal setup for every keeper or chameleon. The safety and health of the animal should always be the priority. As long as I am home (which is 90% of the time) I have them out, free ranging. BUT when I leave, I do place them back in cages. For their safety. Maybe that is not a true free range, but I prefer to err on the side of caution than take chances.

Lingling, again, I am very sorry for your loss. Accidents happen, most are preventable and hopefully your experience will help to prevent this from happening to someone else.

sorry for your loss!! But i think we all are gettin off topic I know javsto prob could have worded his opinion better but hes saying that neglegance shouldnt be rewarded with sympathy. Now I think ling did eveything she could except tell her sis not to put that rat back in the room which im sure they both regret. So lets not bash one another lets use this accident as a reminder on how to prevent one of our own!!

finally someone who is able to understand what im trying to say instead of just picking and choosing. Is it sad what the final outcome was, yes. Could it have been prevented, of course. Will it happen again, maybe but only if you dont learn what has happened or could happen again. Are there lessons here as a group or individuals that we as a whole can pass on to others with less or no experience in these matters, I hope so. Is the Cult of personallity the only good song that black heavy metal group ever put out, sort of if you like their music. I personally like Am I evil from metallica but I feel that most of you would end up branding me with it if you had the chance. Are the New Jersey Devils the only good thing to come out of the garden state other than the Soprano's? most definatly, but thats what happens when you live in New Yorks shadow.

It's nice to have people who understand the hurt of losing a reptile... it's no easier than losing a dog or other mammal. Thanks for the kindness. Most other people who heard about it thought it was "funny" how he died... why on earth would that be funny. Laughter of that kind was not what I needed, but you all have done a better job of lightening my mood a little more gently.

truthfully ling, I do not in anyway think that this is funny or a laughing matter. I dont understand who you know personnally that can crack a smile after what you told them like you told us.

Is the Cult of personallity the only good song that black heavy metal group ever put out, sort of if you like their music. I personally like Am I evil from metallica but I feel that most of you would end up branding me with it if you had the chance. Are the New Jersey Devils the only good thing to come out of the garden state other than the Soprano's? most definatly, but thats what happens when you live in New Yorks shadow.

I will consider that a yes to the crack baby question.

I must agree with this statement. Free ranging is not for beginners and not for everyone. I do free range and I do believe in it, but it isn't the ideal setup for every keeper or chameleon. The safety and health of the animal should always be the priority. As long as I am home (which is 90% of the time) I have them out, free ranging. BUT when I leave, I do place them back in cages. For their safety. Maybe that is not a true free range, but I prefer to err on the side of caution than take chances.
I am glad you take that precaution. Sorry to derail (as if it hasn't gone that far already) but do you know if the movement in and out of cages causes any stress? I've considered doing something similar but decided against it for fear of changing the environment too much and stressing my little guy out.

Now that you've both made unnecessary comments, can you two "call it even?"

Let's grow up now. Have we really gone so low to call names when we are angry? :(

I think i missed the crack baby question? Aside from all this "hate" of one another can I ask what it is you are studying? just to put aside or lower the heat on this thread...

Thank you ling ling for posting what is really a cautionary tale for all of us. A while ago, I posted about my stupidity in allowing a ceramic heater to almost start a fire by my cham's cage (hence, his name: Smokey). I did not need and would not have appreciated posts telling me that I was stupid, careless or mistaken to allow that to happen--I already knew that. I just wanted others to learn from my mistake.

As far as Mr. (now on ignore) is concerned, I feel for his friends and family, since he: (1) has no emotional intelligence, (2) argues in such a way that he will always defend everything he says and cannot accept other points of view, (3) is a champion of the obvious, (4) is so incredibly judgmental, and (5) has an obvious superiority and cruelty streak. To say the things he did, when any emotionally equipped person would know how much you are hurting and how guilty you feel for allowing it to happen (even though we can't anticipate and remove all risks), was just unconscionable.

My sympathies for your loss. Hope you ace your exam.

I am glad you take that precaution. Sorry to derail (as if it hasn't gone that far already) but do you know if the movement in and out of cages causes any stress? I've considered doing something similar but decided against it for fear of changing the environment too much and stressing my little guy out.

Now that you've both made unnecessary comments, can you two "call it even?"

Let's grow up now. Have we really gone so low to call names when we are angry? :(

I would air on the side of caution because there are many threads with innocent questions and the higher ups just end by telling you to go find another thread about your original query instead of just answering it in the first place.

Thank you ling ling for posting what is really a cautionary tale for all of us. A while ago, I posted about my stupidity in allowing a ceramic heater to almost start a fire by my cham's cage (hence, his name: Smokey). I did not need and would not have appreciated posts telling me that I was stupid, careless or mistaken to allow that to happen--I already knew that. I just wanted others to learn from my mistake.

As far as Mr. (now on ignore) is concerned, I feel for his friends and family, since he: (1) has no emotional intelligence, (2) argues in such a way that he will always defend everything he says and cannot accept other points of view, (3) is a champion of the obvious, (4) is so incredibly judgmental, and (5) has an obvious superiority and cruelty streak. To say the things he did, when any emotionally equipped person would know how much you are hurting and how guilty you feel for allowing it to happen (even though we can't anticipate and remove all risks), was just unconscionable.

My sympathies for your loss. Hope you ace your exam.

*cough cough* sugar coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom