Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Candice

My female veild just ate a gulf fritillary caterpillar while out basking. I've read that they are poisonous if ingested. Is this something she can survive or should I be concerned?

My female veild just ate a gulf fritillary caterpillar while out basking. I've read that they are poisonous if ingested. Is this something she can survive or should I be concerned?
Everything in moderation. I don't think it will hurt her. Just maybe a tummy ache.

Well that's a relief. She didn't seem to be feeling any ill affects after about an hour. In fact she seemed quite content. I did contact my vet to see if there was anything I should do. She said it would only cause minor irritation, and to give her plenty of juicy bugs and water to drink to help flush it out of her system. She also gave me the number for animal poison control just in case things went south.

I guess no more basking on he trellis next to the passion flower vine for her! :)

Not a great spot! That's the host plant for fritillarys! You will often bring them home from the nursery with eggs on them and soon see tons of small orange babies.;)

Yeah, the one in the front yard has been chewed down to sticks. The one that "volunteered" in the garden doesn't have as many, but I will definitely be on the look out for them. Fortunately there are lots of other safe basking spots in the garden. I just hope she doesn't go for any other poisonous bugs out there, since she'll eat anything and everything in sight!

That sounds like a great idea! I may also try getting some nematodes since they attack any larvae they come into contact with. I'm wondering though if she can eat the little green caterpillars that keep munching on my salad patch.

Back
Top Bottom