Rethinking Staple Foods

SauceGandhi

Avid Member
There is a staple feeder chart that I have some questions about.

img_0151-jpeg.337969

But first, let's compare it to what chameleons are eating in the wild.

1683578569899.png

This is a chart from the most comprehensive diet study that I could find. It's important to remember that there are locality differences, but from my review of the literature, this is very representative besides caterpillars/butterflies and beetles being in higher numbers in some areas/seasons. The best part about this study is the specific breakdown of the food items. Let's take a look at the important ones, in no particular order:

1. Orthoptera - Acrididae (grasshoppers)
2. Heteroptera - Pentatomidae (stinkbugs)
3. Diptera - Muscidae (house flies)
4. Hymenoptera - Apidae (honey/bumble bees)
5/6. Lepidoptera/Coleoptera - not a much data for these here; various caterpillars/butterflies based on availability. The beetles seem to often be weevils which are somewhat represented here (Curculionidae), but more so I'm pulling from other studies.

It shouldn't really be surprising that chameleons overwhelmingly eat diurnal/arboreal herbivores and pollinators. If you've ever tried feeding any of these, you'll know the intense feeding response they get. Something they all have in common is that you can literally toss them in the cage without worrying about them burrowing/hiding and then coming out at night to chew on your sleeping pet. No need for a feeder cup/run/etc., because these are the natural foods that rise to the top and also share the same wake/sleep cycle.

There is a stark difference between the staple diet in the wild and what we have declared staples as a community. We only have 3 out of the 6 even represented our chart (grasshoppers [listed here as locusts], flies, caterpillars), not to mention it additionally has a bunch of other stuff listed as staples. Let's take roaches, for example. When did the community decide that these were a good staple? A nocturnal and often burrowing omnivore. Most chameleons don't even like them and can easily go on a hunger strike because they are so unappetizing. I get that they're really easy to breed, but are there any other benefits? Roach companies like to make wild health benefit claims with zero evidence. On the contrary, roaches often seem to be the problem when uric acid/gout issues arise. This is merely one example. There are other weird things like superworms and hornworms being considered treats, when I have never seen an actual outcome-based reason why they would be worse than roaches or a couple of those other "staples", although this part is not that important here.

Just to be clear, I'm not against feeding the other insects listed on our chart. We all make compromises, like sticking our pets in a cage that we wish was much bigger at least. Ease of breeding and acquisition are important because we all have lives and don't have time to figure out how to breed the freaking stink bug 😆 . However, listening to Bill Strand recently talking about how we should be leaning towards what is natural unless there is evidence to prove the contrary, inspired me to dig into this. Should we have a higher tier on our chart, for the real staples, if we want to represent the best evidence-based husbandry?

Hi there... This one was created a few years ago. The options used on it were taken from the most common available feeders from suppliers.
Staple meaning variety in feeders not choosing just one option.

You are one of the few people I know of that even breeds grasshoppers for sale. In my 5 years in the hobby I have never seen anyone else offer them. In turn there is limited understanding within the hobby for those that have not had the opportunity to purchase them on how to actually care for them. While other feeders there is quite a bit of info on how to house and how to gutload.

The image is also intended as a guide for new keepers just learning about what to offer. So therefore what is readily available to them to purchase.

If you have feedback on improving the image please let me know. As I said it was designed a few years ago and if it needs an update we can always look into doing that. :)

Hi there... This one was created a few years ago. The options used on it were taken from the most common available feeders from suppliers.

You are one of the few people I know of that even breeds grasshoppers for sale. In my 5 years in the hobby I have never seen anyone else offer them. In turn there is limited understanding within the hobby for those that have not had the opportunity to purchase them on how to actually care for them. While other feeders there is quite a bit of info on how to house and how to gutload.

The image is also intended as a guide for new keepers just learning about what to offer. So therefore what is readily available to them to purchase.

If you have feedback on improving the image please let me know. As I said it was designed a few years ago and if it needs an update we can always look into doing that. :)

I offer two species of Schistocerca locust for sale from time to time when available. I sell Schistocerca "how to" care sheets about those two species as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I offer two species of Schistocerca locust for sale from time to time when available. I sell Schistocerca "how to" care sheets about those two species as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I had no idea that you too offer this... I do believe grasshopper availability and knowledge that is shared is lacking in our hobby. Seems more advanced keepers are the ones that know about it and since they are not easily obtained to purchase new keepers do not get the information.

I had no idea that you too offer this... I do believe grasshopper availability and knowledge that is shared is lacking in our hobby. Seems more advanced keepers are the ones that know about it and since they are not easily obtained to purchase new keepers do not get the information.

I started Dean with grasshoppers by selling him one of my Schistocerca care sheets. Dean and Kai has since taken breeding grasshopper to another level.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

img_0151-jpeg.337969

View attachment 338107

This is a chart from the most comprehensive diet study that I could find. It's important to remember that there are locality differences, but from my review of the literature, this is very representative besides caterpillars/butterflies and beetles being in higher numbers in some areas/seasons. The best part about this study is the specific breakdown of the food items. Let's take a look at the important ones, in no particular order:

5/6. Lepidoptera/Coleoptera - not a much data for these here; various caterpillars/butterflies based on availability. The beetles seem to often be weevils which are somewhat represented here (Curculionidae), but more so I'm pulling from other studies.

It shouldn't really be surprising that chameleons overwhelmingly eat diurnal/arboreal herbivores and pollinators. If you've ever tried feeding any of these, you'll know the intense feeding response they get. Something they all have in common is that you can literally toss them in the cage without worrying about them burrowing/hiding and then coming out at night to chew on your sleeping pet. No need for a feeder cup/run/etc., because these are the natural foods that rise to the top and also share the same wake/sleep cycle.

There is a stark difference between the staple diet in the wild and what we have declared staples as a community. We only have 3 out of the 6 even represented our chart (grasshoppers [listed here as locusts], flies, caterpillars), not to mention it additionally has a bunch of other stuff listed as staples. Let's take roaches, for example. When did the community decide that these were a good staple? A nocturnal and often burrowing omnivore. Most chameleons don't even like them and can easily go on a hunger strike because they are so unappetizing. I get that they're really easy to breed, but are there any other benefits? Roach companies like to make wild health benefit claims with zero evidence. On the contrary, roaches often seem to be the problem when uric acid/gout issues arise. This is merely one example. There are other weird things like superworms and hornworms being considered treats, when I have never seen an actual outcome-based reason why they would be worse than roaches or a couple of those other "staples", although this part is not that important here.

Just to be clear, I'm not against feeding the other insects listed on our chart. We all make compromises, like sticking our pets in a cage that we wish was much bigger at least. Ease of breeding and acquisition are important because we all have lives and don't have time to figure out how to breed the freaking stink bug 😆 . However, listening to Bill Strand recently talking about how we should be leaning towards what is natural unless there is evidence to prove the contrary, inspired me to dig into this. Should we have a higher tier on our chart, for the real staples, if we want to represent the best evidence-based husbandry?
No

img_0151-jpeg.337969

View attachment 338107

No doubt that chams prefer flying prey. I think many of us with multiple animals try to provide this. But it's hard to deal with a container of 100 housefies with a single pet! That said anyone can let some bsfl pupate and they are relished. As for the other bugs 🐛 it is the variety that is important. But I think is fine to feed hormworms for 2 weeks, then crickets for 2 etc if that is easier relative to using up the bugs. This happens naturally in the wild as bugs come in waves based on their prefered plant's bloom or foliage cycle.
And even though diet is very important, I think there are other items that don't get enough attention such as lighting and humidity that maybe cause more problems.

Nice point/ s I believe petr necas also summarised what insects the chams are actually eating in the wild , some unfortunately would not be realistic to keep in a domestic home , honey bee, wasp , hornets , etc , and I agree with your point about feeding nocturnal insects to a diurnal reptile

I agree, availability for purchase is an important factor. I would probably leave crickets in the staples primarily because of this, even though chameleons don't eat them in the wild. While not in the same family, they are at least related to grasshoppers on the order-level and share characteristics.

The ones that stand out to me the most for a suggested demotion to "treats" are mantids, phasmids, roaches, and snails, because they are barely or not at all represented in chameleon diets even on the order-level, which is a massive difference in type of animal. In their place we could add stinkbugs and bees, which are admittedly not commercially available, but in my opinion should be represented so that those who have access them can utilize them. Stinkbugs, in particular, are an agricultural pest, so perhaps there are gardeners around who will be happy to get rid of them organically 😆 .

Edit: I forgot the dang weevils.

My humble suggestions in summary -

Move to "treats": Mantids, Roaches, Stickbugs, Snails

Replace with: Stinkbugs, Bees, Weevils, Caterpillars

Last edited:
I agree, availability for purchase is an important factor. I would probably leave crickets in the staples primarily because of this, even though chameleons don't eat them in the wild. While not in the same family, they are at least related to grasshoppers on the order-level and share characteristics.

Katydid's are actually/essentially tree House Circkets. I think feeding Crickets is okay as they would be similar to feeding Katydids. I am not recalling/finding the nutritional information that compares Katydid's to House crickets. I am going to look more later.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Katydid's are actually/essentially tree House Circkets. I think feeding Crickets is okay as they would be similar to feeding Katydids. I am not recalling/finding the nutritional information that compares Katydid's to House crickets. I am going to look more later.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
While I do breed katydids and the chameleons like them, I actually have not been able to find scientific evidence that chameleons regularly eat them in the wild. This confused me at first, because katydids are always in the trees, but it must be because they are active at night, similar to phasmids.

Not sure if there's any information on katydids because they aren't as agriculturally significant, but here's Schistocerca grasshoppers vs crickets (marked in red and blue, respectively):
1682745020794-png.337672

What stands out is the massive difference in protein, almost certainly resulting from the muscles needed for powerful jumps and flight.

The information I have seen stated that Crickets and Bush Crickets (Katydids) are more predatory than grasshoppers. That probably accounts for some of the higher Fat values and show some similarities nutritionally amoung Katydids and Crickets. Some of the studies may be calling Katydids "Crickets" as they are locally know as "Bush Crickets".

https://www.phipps.conservatory.org/blog/detail/biopgh-blog-katydids-crickets-or-grasshoppers

https://www.britannica.com/animal/long-horned-grasshopper

I am going to look for more nutritional information about Katydids later.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The ones that stand out to me the most for a suggested demotion to "treats" are mantids, phasmids, roaches, and snails, because they are barely or not at all represented in chameleon diets even on the order-level, which is a massive difference in type of animal. In their place we could add stinkbugs and bees, which are admittedly not commercially available, but in my opinion should be represented so that those who have access them can utilize them. Stinkbugs, in particular, are an agricultural pest, so perhaps there are gardeners around who will be happy to get rid of them organically 😆 .

Edit: I forgot the dang weevils.

My humble suggestions in summary -

Move to "treats": Mantids, Roaches, Stickbugs, Snails

Replace with: Stinkbugs, Bees, Weevils, Caterpillars
And you also mentioned about the word locust. Should this actually be replaced with grasshopper?

Do you see anything else that stands out needing an update?

I will add this to my to do list and talk it over with @Brad about doing an update on the feeder image.

And you also mentioned about the word locust. Should this actually be replaced with grasshopper?

Do you see anything else that stands out needing an update?

I will add this to my to do list and talk it over with @Brad about doing an update on the feeder image.
Yes, good point. Locust is merely a type of grasshopper that can swarm. Out of thousands of grasshopper species, only a dozen or so are locusts, scattered across different genus. It's really just a behavioral term.

Maybe also update "moths of all kinds" to "moths/butterflies"

and also a general note for collecting from the wild, to not feed colorful insects unless you are familiar with the species and know that it's non-toxic.

This link is to some nutritional information about Katydids I found. I found some other Katydid nutritional documents. However I haven't found any good nutritional PDF documents yet.

https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Katydids/721620143

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Uhhh there's no way this is correct lol. This is just some random person's entry. Those numbers are insane 😆

I recommend limiting your search to google scholar for these things (y)

Uhhh there's no way this is correct lol. This is just some random person's entry. Those numbers are insane 😆

I recommend limiting your search to google scholar for these things (y)
That link was the only document that had any Katydid Nutritional Charts with comparable numbers. I think they are for human consumption reading not scientific reading purposes or PDF. The document did not have ash ratio's/percentages.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That link was the only document that had any Katydid Nutritional Charts with comparable numbers. I think they are for human consumption reading not scientific reading purposes or PDF. The document did not have ash ratio's/percentages.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
The numbers are not even plausible regardless of if it's for human consumption. That's five times less protein than literal peanuts. I'm not sure this is possible for any insect tbh. 2g protein to 11g fat... how would it even move, much less fly in the air 😆

For reference, the fatty blobs known as waxworms have a protein:fat ratio of about 2:3

The numbers are not even plausible regardless of if it's for human consumption. That's five times less protein than literal peanuts. I'm not sure this is possible for any insect tbh. 2g protein to 11g fat... how would it even move, much less fly in the air 😆

For reference, the fatty blobs known as waxworms have a protein:fat ratio of about 2:3

They are not in the same format. As I stated they have not got the ash ratio or percentages found in scientific documents. I found some good Katydid articles. However none with a good scientific chart yet.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

They are not in the same format. As I stated they have not got the ash ratio or percentages found in scientific documents. I found some good Katydid articles. However none with a good scientific chart yet.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
There's nothing wrong with the format. Yes, it's tailored for human consumption, but it's simple to interpret. Here's crickets, for example, in the same format.
Cricket-Powder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom