Rethinking Staple Foods

Interesting, looks like we came to the same conclusion regarding roaches, mantids and phasmids; they are not eaten much, if at all, most likely due to nocturnal activity. What stands out the most in that survey is the abundance of arachnids, compared to the studies from continental Africa/EU. It's a pretty broad category, but if its mostly spiders, that makes sense if we think about general biogeography, in that islands with recently disturbed habitats lead to blooms in spider populations.

Also, here's the nutrition information for the greater anglewing katydid @Motherlode Chameleon - 77.8% protein, 9% fat

1684543277686.png

This species is federally deregulated by USDA, for all continental US, which makes it a good candidate for a feeder. I'm currently working on reducing the hatch time on their eggs, but it's a long process at the moment, so I only have them available seasonally until this is optimized.

Katydid look to be worthy of keeping and breeding. From the protein to fat comparisons on the previous posted tables.
Protein to Fat
Microcentrum rhombifolium (77.8) (9.0)
Schistocerca gregaria (76) (12.97)
Gryllus bimaculatus (58.32) (11.88)

The protein to fat comparision look to be the best with Katydid's (Microcentrum rhombifolium).

Nice research about finding nutrition information about Katydids. I had not found any worthy scientific tables with nutrional information about Katydid yet.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I get loads of hornets here, Asian one is currently decimating the bees, so tell me if a hornet wasp etc got in with your chameleon in an outdoor enclosure you wont be worried? It would eat it no problem?
Hallo
I am in the same situation as you. I worry about my chameleon that lives in an outdoor enclosure made of wood and wire mesh. I don't know if he would be able to defend himself against a wasp or a hornet that would enter his enclosure. I heard about a wasp nest control that is supposed to repel these insects without harming the animals. Has anyone tried this product? Is it effective and safe for chameleons?

Thank you for giving me your opinion.

J'ai plein de frelons ici, celui d'Asie est en train de décimer les abeilles, alors dites-moi si une guêpe frelon, etc. est entrée avec votre caméléon dans un enclos extérieur, vous ne serez pas inquiet ? Il le mangerait sans problème ?
Bonjour,

Je m'appelle Isaac et j'ai intégré le forum il ya quelque mois dans le but de demander des conseils sur des solutions à apporter dans le cas d'invasion de guepe comme le mien. Un ami m'a conseillé d'utiliser ce produit hornet-treatment (https://fr.stophornet.com/products/hornet-treatment )qui s'est révélé efficace pour lui et je voudrais connaître l'avis de certaines personnes qui ont eu le même problème, ou l'avis des experts.

Merci de votre compréhension.

Translation of post #45…
My name is Isaac and I joined the forum a few months ago with the aim of asking for advice on solutions to be provided in the case of a wasp invasion like mine. A friend advised me to use this hornet-treatment (https://fr.stophornet.com/products/hornet-treatment) product which has proven to be effective for him and I would like to know the opinion of some people who have had the same problem, or the opinion of experts.

Thank you for your understanding
Hopefully you’ll get some input now.

Back
Top Bottom