Greenhouses

Great Palace for Chameleons
Congrats

It is one of or if not the best way to recreate a tropical rainforest outside the tropics.

Looks great Jeremy! Got any Phelsuma running around in it for natural insect control?

Carl

Chameleons work the best.

Long before I joined these forums I had a Phelsuma grandis that escaped that lived in the greenhouse when it was primarily just a giant free range. I had bamboo poles connecting areas of free ranges to other areas. I happened to look inside one of these poles one day and found about 5 Phelsuma grandis eggs. They ended up hatching and for a winter I had 6 Phelsuma grandis free ranging inside the greenhouse with one of my Panther Chameleons.

I can't wait to do something like this in a few years.

Greenhouses are neat.

Last edited:
I just got done installing lamps inside the greenhouse. I had been rotating everyone from inside the greenhouse to my aquarium room for UVB requirements except for my Parsonii. As during the summer when the greenhouse is extremely humid and wet I was reluctant to install extra electrical equipment. The lamps are a sight to be hold at night, here is how they look:D. On the technical side I'm going with the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 for the lights for extra UVB. Due to some new recruits I just have to put in some blinds this weekend and the greenhouse is done for now.

so3e.jpg

2dhr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeremy,

What would you say was your driving purpose for the greenhouse? Space? Temperature? Natural Environment? Humidity?

I ask this because I have often considered putting a large greenhouse in my backyard (multiple acres) and moving the animals in there.

My concerns are this however. Lack of UVB unless I use a UV transparent acrylic which really drives up cost. Temperatures. Although it would be great for me in winter (max lows of 35 degrees), summers would be brutal at 95+ and I cant use a swamp cooler due to high humidity.

So, if I look at my 'Chameleon Room', temps are controlled, Humidity is perfect, and clearly lighting needs are provided artificially.

I love the idea of having them outside year round, and I do get them out for weeks/months at a time when weather permits, I am just trying to understand why a greenhouse would be beneficial unless it resolves issues specific to the climate in which you live.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy,

What would you say was your driving purpose for the greenhouse? Space? Temperature? Natural Environment? Humidity?

I ask this because I have often considered putting a large greenhouse in my backyard (multiple acres) and moving the animals in there.

My concerns are this however. Lack of UVB unless I use a UV transparent acrylic which really drives up cost. Temperatures. Although it would be great for me in winter (max lows of 35 degrees), summers would be brutal at 95+ and I cant use a swamp cooler due to high humidity.

So, if I look at my 'Chameleon Room', temps are controlled, Humidity is perfect, and clearly lighting needs are provided artificially.

I love the idea of having them outside year round, and I do get them out for weeks/months at a time when weather permits, I am just trying to understand why a greenhouse would be beneficial unless it resolves issues specific to the climate in which you live.

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

Space, Temperature, Natural Environment, Humidity, and along with just moving the chameleons outside of main living areas of the house are the main purpose for keeping my chameleon inside of a greenhouse. I would say after all my experience and research I have found it to be the best way to recreate a tropical environment outside of the tropics. They can be difficult at times and expensive however if you are a devote chameleon keeper they are worth it. I have considered a second greenhouse for chameleons and some extra jobs I'm doing since I have got an agriculture degree.

However, if you have not got good UVB exposure for your chameleons that is a huge issue that has got to be taken care of. If I had to have it done again or for a second greenhouse, I would acquire a greenhouse with a skin that allows UVB rays to penetrate through.

I would plan on matching the greenhouse conditions to the kind of chameleons you plan on keeping. I would say if your in an area where you have got high humidity and a greenhouse cannot drop the humidity to the ranges you require. You should plan on working with another chameleon species or make other arrangements.

Jeremy A. Rich

I got the opportunity for some pictures with the Halide on after I closed the shop for the evening. Here is how the lamps look for those of you who are aspiring to greenhouses with lamps one day.

ytp5.jpg

4g5q.jpg

As well along with one of the bonus's of keeping enclosures in a greenhouse is the growth of this great moss. This happens in areas that receive enough direct light and moisture.

u5pk.jpg

gmx2.jpg

Here's a picture of Rhino AKA "Bruce Banner" as he is such a hulk and is the biggest chameleon my brother has ever seen.

sn02.jpg

Here's some pictures of some of the chameleons in the greenhouse.

My Calumma parsonii parsonii.

mhhj.jpg

My Trioceros pfefferi

znxw.jpg

q4om.jpg

My Trioceros deremensis

s1xj.jpg

nu3s.jpg

Trioceros jacksonii merumontanus.

39j7.jpg

kkol.jpg

An announcement the greenhouse is officially filled with chameleons for the first time in a long time. As of now I have got species from the genera Calumma and Trioceros living in the greenhouse. I have got the aquarium room terrariums to fill. However after all these years of being away with a busy schedule and not being around, due to attending UC Davis and Internships, to take care of my chameleons it has not been appropriate for me to buy as many chameleons or breed many chameleons prefer. It is great to once again have the greenhouse filled.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I still have got to modify the metal halide in the greenhouse. As of now as seen on my Avatar I am using the metal Halide as a shop light and not using it for applications as a source for UVB for my chameleons yet!!!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

These are some photo's of my greenhouse, enclosures and chameleons from today.
My greenhouse.
aq8J9y.jpg

Some of my chameleon enclosures.
NjmmrP.jpg

GLLx14.jpg

1N6tmv.jpg

You have a look at "Charles" my male Trioceros deremensis.
y2HR2W.jpg

Some of my chameleons.
My female Furcfer willsii.
z0MNYJ.jpg

My female Calumma parsonii parsonii "Trudy".
7zFSw3.jpg

My female Trioceros werneri.
6TZCB4.jpg

These are some of the greenhouses that were near my apartment when I attended classes for my Bachelors Degree at UC Davis. Just some of a plethora of greenhouses that the University owns.

LUfXJ3.jpg

JSgizj.jpg

Nf85Oc.jpg

Last edited:
These are some photos of Backwater Reptiles chameleons from earlier that day.

A Male Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii
w4wm6k.jpg

A Male Calumma brevicornis
6sxtSM.jpg

A Female Calumma malthe
lMVWNp.jpg

A Male Furcifer oustaleti
ayr4M4.jpg

Sam thanks for letting me visit your facility.

Last edited:
These are some more of Backwaters Reptiles chameleons. Again Sam thanks for letting me visit your facility.

A Male Kinyongia xenorhina.
EoHIjM.jpg

A Male Trioceros cristatus
wTzWw2.jpg

A Male Trioceros johnstonii
Yf7lP7.jpg

Last edited:
I finally made good on an old promise to my self and got a pair of young tropical tortoises for the greenhouse. The idea is that when they are older they can control the weeds and other non toxic foliage growth in the greenhouse. I am looking forward to the day when they are old enough for that task.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Hey Jeremy
I've seen your greenhouse posts for a couple years and you inspired me. So this summer I took a cheap harbor freight smaller greenhouse and modified it.
My problem here was it gets too hot or too cold.

Solution, I insulated the walls and half the roof. The other half of the roof has poop out windows for perfect days. Most of the year they get natural sunlight and UVB lighting for the rest. The temps stay around 80-90 during the day regardless of the weather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 299
These are some older pics when it was still in progress. Just haven't taken any fresh 1s.

But thanks for the inspiration. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 264
The other half of the roof has poop out windows for perfect days.

Make sure to clean those 'poop out windows'. Never seen anyone do fecal checks like that before. :D
Greenhouses should be a prerequisite for keeping chameleons. In my opinion, the only true and humane way. In all fairness, I myself am forced to use cages due to living in a townhouse. Makes me feel guilty sometimes. I do take advantage of my skylights and had french doors installed in the back room. I can swing them out to let in sun when the weather permits. I converted my shed once for herps, but am afraid of theft. It's a no win situation. Looks GREAT Jeremy. A true responsible chameleon keeper.

Back
Top Bottom