Greenhouse Free Range

jabushey

wlAc7B3.jpg

Here is my new Jackson's ( on far right edge of photo, settling in for the night)

He has been exploring the greenhouse for a couple of weeks now. We have a separate basking lamp and UV CFL a couple of feet from the makeshift feeding cups.

This is an intermediate orchid greenhouse, 70 to 80% humidity, 68F in days and 58F at night in the winter here in Minnesota. Also sharing the space are some Anoles and two Grey tree frogs. No conflicts but it is hard to tell who ate what. Feeding wax worms, big meal worms, super worms by hand but they seem too big for him and crickets. He prefers worms to crickets, but I keep trying.

Things seem to be going OK, it's my first chameleon.

Suggestions welcome!

John

I only wish I had this much space for my cham. Awesome set up. Truly great but do you have anything to keep them from touching the heat lamp, uv bulb, any electrical outlets, ect. After hearing about a chameleon here on the forums who licked his u heat lamp I made sure to chameleon proof my free range. Also try and keep those cactuses out of reach. You can never be to careful with these guys they can get into trouble pretty quickly.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-proofing-free-range-101304/

Best of Luck!

Good points. Thanks.

The lights are mounted from the ceiling beams. The Anoles can get at them and enjoy the warmth above the LED lights for the orchids. The Cham would have to climb glass or epoxied cedar to get to them. There are no outlets on the benches, but there are on a table on the far side. What is the danger of outlets?

The cacti are fairly isolated on the far end of the bench. I haven't seen him range that far. He seems to prefer the epiphytic cacti ( no thorns). I've only seen him down on the bench once, in the first couple of days.

Awesome no worries then. Just wanted to make sure you had the whole place cham proofed :). And exposure to cable (which they love to climb on), exposed electrical outlets and surge protectors they can risk being electrocuted. But it seems as though you've got your freerange pretty well set up!

I am so envious of how much space you have for your cham and other animals. They must be so happy!

Keep the pictures coming I would love to see more.

If you don't mind me asking what is your misting setup like?

Thanks! I think he is OK. The frogs and Anoles get everywhere, but they can climb walls and ceilings!

Heating is warm water radiators running under the fiberglass benches.

Humidity is 8 spray nozzles under the benches 4 times a day, 5 minutes each time. They spray down on the floor, which is lava rock over soil so a french drain...

The right side of the greenhouse has another irrigation zone, with spray nozzles pointing up and horizontally over his the favorite areas and down on the cork mounted orchids in the middle of the photo. You can see the black/blue irrigation lines running up to the spray heads. 4 times a day for 2 minutes each. Hand sprayer occasionally too.

Where you asking questions about chameleons inside of greenhouses this summer? If that was you its great to see your doing something with your greenhouse in the way of chameleons.

I was looking at this thinking that it didn't seem all that big then I noticed the Jackson on the right and realized by his size the scale of it lol.
Would be awesome to have space like this.
Have you got any more pics?

I was looking at this thinking that it didn't seem all that big then I noticed the Jackson on the right and realized by his size the scale of it lol.
Would be awesome to have space like this.
Have you got any more pics?

I have stated in the past that a greenhouse is the best way to recreate the tropics outside of the tropics:D.

Yes, that was me. My son's got the jackson's for me this Christmas from FLCham and he arrived a couple of weeks ago.

The greenhouse is 9x14 feet, so plenty of room for him to explore. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to find him. I'd like to try a panther but I thnk he would eat my orchids, frogs and anoles.

It's is a great place to sit and enjoy a sunny winter day here. Tomorrow the high temp will be about 8°F !!!

Yes, that was me. My son's got the jackson's for me this Christmas from FLCham and he arrived a couple of weeks ago.

The greenhouse is 9x14 feet, so plenty of room for him to explore. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to find him. I'd like to try a panther but I thnk he would eat my orchids, frogs and anoles.

It's is a great place to sit and enjoy a sunny winter day here. Tomorrow the high temp will be about 8°F !!!

If you become interested in more species I would recommend Trioceros quadricornis and deremensis, Kinyongia matschiei and multituberculata which are availalbe plus other kinds of Jacksons chameleons. They all should work and thrive with the conditions for a T.j.xantholophus. There are many other species that would work however up front I recommend those first.

Back
Top Bottom