Grasshoppers selling

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is mostly a question for @SauceGandhi but generally anyone who sells their grasshoppers in the US is welcome. Whith differentialis species i imagine from the way they are laying for me right now even with diapause i will have more than i can feed off with my invert eaters. Does shipping them over state lines require special certification? I know its legal but that doesn't mean certification isn't required. TIA

I don't know the answer but I would like help breeding grasshoppers for feeding. I'm almost certain you need some type of cert to send grasshoppers across state lines.

Ive had some great success with breeding the differentialis. They aren't super picky with the foods i have offered. I offer lettuces, mustards, kale, clover, and pea sprouts. What are you struggling with? Might be able to help before sauceghandi gets here

Everything! Where/How do I start. I need to know how to get started. How do I get breeders? I order hoppers from SauceGhandi. After 30 days, I find babies in the bin. I feed greens and use a heat lamp for the feeders. I just received a new order today. I plan to try to id a few males/females am move them to a bin more suitable for breeding. I have coco fiber and leaf litter as floor cover with sticks to perch. I might add a small leafy plant.

you are pretty much doing what you are supposed to. I would order a full extra set of hoppers and use them as your breeders. I am currently using around 20 individuals. It sounds like the babies went through diapause on their own. The ova they hatch from won't hatch super fast 30 days is a little faster than normal probably due to the heat lamp.

I just received my grasshopper order. They are all babies! I mean baby babies. Sooo cute! A few of them are less than 1/4" long. They are eating dandelion greens and apples.

Melanoplus differentialis is legal to ship across states. All other species of grasshoppers other than the three listed on the USDA site require permits to ship across states.

I sell grasshoppers species from the genus Schistocerca once and a while when I have got extra's. I sell the Schistocerca hoppers instate (California) though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Melanoplus differentialis is legal to ship across states. All other species of grasshoppers other than the three listed on the USDA site require permits to ship across states.

I sell grasshoppers species from the genus Schistocerca once and a while when I have got extra's. I sell the Schistocerca hoppers instate (California) though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
That's nice to know. I won't be able to house enough of these to keep the extra i don't feed off or use for breeding. Thanks Jeremy!

Sorry for the late response; not sure what happened to my notifications. Nothing to worry about with permits for differential grasshoppers across states. I had to get a permit from my own state, but I think only California and Florida require permits for that.

I’m on the east coast (upstate ny) and I’m currently breeding red legged grasshoppers. I caught about 100 nymphs in the spring and they are now breeding and laying eggs. Next step is getting the eggs to hatch. This east coast variety is smaller than other regional varieties because they have a short breeding window before winter freeze so they mature quicker. They get about 1.5 long so they are on the smaller side, about half the size of a differential. Would be great for smaller chameleon species.

Back
Top Bottom