Collecting Grasshoppers

SauceGandhi

Avid Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking to add more species and localities of grasshoppers to my colonies. There's a lot out there, so let me know if you can help out with whatever you can find in your area, especially large species. My primary target is getting more localities of the Differential Grasshopper (Melanoplus differentialis), the largest USDA legal species. They are found in all continental US states. I can pay or we can do a trade or whatever works :)

20200301_230420.jpg 20210121_210849.jpg

Can we ship these? I never looked into it because people always told me locusts cannot be shipped interstate in USA.

Bringing this back for another round since they're in season right now. Especially interested in the Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona populations. I can give exact locations for abundant populations nearest to wherever anyone is, instructions on how to catch them, etc.

Bringing this back for another round since they're in season right now. Especially interested in the Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona populations. I can give exact locations for abundant populations nearest to wherever anyone is, instructions on how to catch them, etc.
I can help you. I'm in the DFW area.

Here's one of them. I haven't paid enough attention to see if they all are the same kind but this one occurs in the powerline cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    953.7 KB · Views: 41
Too bad I’m in Upstate New York. Our local hoppers need a cold diapause. I’ve caught many red legged and they are breeding like crazy. What would you recommend for the diapause temp and length? I wonder if 4 weeks at 32F would be low and long enough. Not sure if they will require a hard freeze.

Too bad I’m in Upstate New York. Our local hoppers need a cold diapause. I’ve caught many red legged and they are breeding like crazy. What would you recommend for the diapause temp and length? I wonder if 4 weeks at 32F would be low and long enough. Not sure if they will require a hard freeze.
No idea, I've worked with plenty of diapause species, but none that came from an area that freezes. You'll have to test it out.

The pictures do not show the true size! Some are definitely 3inches long!!!! These are grasshoppers on steroids and they definitely had roid rage. Whew! I was challenged. I don't like creep crawlers, including flying things. Is this thing even a insect? Gotta look it up. Whew!

Haha wow fantastic! Yes, that's the correct one and they are huge. Because they will be so loud from the strong jumping in the shipping box, even in the bag with lots of paper towel, you may want to write "LIVE HARMLESS INSECTS" on the side of the box when shipping, so the postal workers are not spooked.

Anyway, I will reserve a group of grasshoppers to grow out and send you next week as larges (they are still only medium size now).

Edit: just realized this was all posted in the forum thread instead of direct message. Let's finish this there @ChamelaChameleon :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom