Endoparasites of pet reptiles

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
I just did a show where I interviewed Dr. Rachel Siu, the author of the study "Endoparasites of pet reptiles and amphibians from exotic pet shows in Texas, United States". She took fecal samples from 243 healthy looking reptiles being sold at reptile shows (including chameleons) and published her findings as to how many parasites she found. Now, it wasn't surprisong that the chameleons had parasites because they could all be wild caught. The species tested were Brookesia minima (!?), Chamaeleo calyptratus, Trioceros hoehnelii, Trioceros jacksonii, Chamaeleo senegalensis, Furcifer lateralis, and Furcifer pardalis. She did not collect data on whether they were captive bred or not, but I think only pardalis and calyptratus were possible captive breds. But, of course, they could have been wild caught Panthers from Madagascar or veileds from Florida. But only one of the seven panther chameleons was parasite free and only one of the 8 veiled chameleons was parasite free. All the other chameleons had parasites except the single Jackson's Chameleon tested. 23 chameleons in all were tested and 20 had worms and/or coccidia. Now this isn't terribly surprising. because we know chameleons and parasites often come together if they come from the wild.

The most surprising thing to me personally was the crested geckos. 57% of the 90 samples were positive for parasites! There are no wild caught crested geckos floating around. They are, as far as I know, 100% captive hatched because New Caledonia doesn't allow them to be exported. So this means there is a healthy transfer of parasites between species.

This affects us in the chameleon world because we do not have a good answer to how many North American or European parasites can infect our chameleons. And this has a direct affect on what we do when we take items from the wild and put them in with our chameleons. So anything that relates to this I watch with extreme interest. I have never experienced a branch from the wild resulting in a parasite infection in one of my chameleons, but I am acutely aware that a branch from my Southern California trees having no parasites transmissible to chameleons does not mean it is the same for a branch in Florida or Spain. Something I always have to keep in mind when speaking with people from around the world.

Of course, I think it would be obvious that the biggest transfer of parasites in captive situations is us keepers. Parasites are designed to stick to things and travel and so our hands are key conduits between cages.

So, I think this is a great place to have a conversation about parasites and how we can take greater care not to spread them ourselves.

You can take a look at the study itself. Dr Rachel made it accessible for free in her Link.tree account here: https://linktr.ee/exotic.pet.vet
Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 7.59.08 PM.png

Dr. Rachel (Ellerd) Siu is well known on the various social medias as @exotic.pet.vet and shares what she does for work as an exotic pet vet. She has an excellent Instagram (or TikTok under the same name).
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.13.12 PM.png

You can then watch the interview I had with her in the latest episode of The Youtube Chameleon Hour here

After the Chameleon Hour I was joined by Sean McNeeley( @mczoo ) for an interactive discussion about what it means to us as keepers so you are welcome to watch what we have already discussed. We were even joined by Jonathan Hill ( @Dridrop12 ) for the last part as he discussed what happened when he found coccidia in his breeding collection. Which was exceptional because he had yet to include a wild caught into his breeding project at all! It is an excellent watch.

So, this is a lot to process, but it is a subject that is of high importance to us as chameleon keepers. Do you have any thoughts, questions, or experiences to add to the discussion?

Last edited:
I'd love to know what parasite the crested geckos were carrying. I can't read her paper in the link it's too blurry. Roundworm larvae can be transferred in utero through the placenta in mammals. For instance puppies are born with roundworm larva in their system that develop as they do to be come adult egg laying worms. It isn't hard to imagine that this could occur in egg laying species if the larva migrated into or even onto the egg during development. In the second instance entering the mouth as they hatch. You discussed how hookworm larvae like to migrate. They could be entering the eggs after they are laid in the cage. Either denario would make it very difficult to eliminate them from one generation to the next.

Sorry if all this is redundant, I haven't read the study and haven't got to the pod cast yet. I'm looking forward to it.

I'd love to know what parasite the crested geckos were carrying
Crested geckos are listed as having had Pharyngodonidae, Strongylids, and emeria. I know those are pretty high level, but that is what I read from the study.
She did share how one keeper housed his crested gecko in with a wild caught uroplatus gecko so we humans apparently aren't making it difficult for the parasites to jump to captive collections.

I have a heavy case of the heebe Jeebes after listening to this podcast. I always was my hands after handling my Cham out of fear of transferring anything. But the way you highlighted the fact that it's on the handle, etc. Makes me want to go scrub everything down right now😵‍💫.

After going to a reptile expo this past September, I can see how one chameleon that is infected can spread to all after that chameleon defecates. There was about 50 juveniles in 1 enclosure and there was free range-feeding going on.

I have a question. The discussion did touch base on parasites transference through the eggs but what about chameleons who birth live young. Can a mother Jackson's chameleon infect her babies in utero?

My takeaway from this is if I have multiple chameleons and they are housed separately, the probability of parasites being transferred from one to the others with depend mostly on my sanitation practices. Also, the importance of quarantine while doing fecals.

I have a heavy case of the heebe Jeebes after listening to this podcast. I always was my hands after handling my Cham out of fear of transferring anything. But the way you highlighted the fact that it's on the handle, etc. Makes me want to go scrub everything down right now😵‍💫.

After going to a reptile expo this past September, I can see how one chameleon that is infected can spread to all after that chameleon defecates. There was about 50 juveniles in 1 enclosure and there was free range-feeding going on.

I have a question. The discussion did touch base on parasites transference through the eggs but what about chameleons who birth live young. Can a mother Jackson's chameleon infect her babies in utero?

My takeaway from this is if I have multiple chameleons and they are housed separately, the probability of parasites being transferred from one to the others with depend mostly on my sanitation practices. Also, the importance of quarantine while doing fecals.
Yes, these kinds of discussions have me going down the rabbit hole evaluating each and every thing I do and touch. Just thinking about the dog hair analogy and looking at all the places where dog hair just appears (like on my computer keyboard at this exact moment) made it real for me everytime I saw a dog hair where it wasn't expected! Of course, Jason Townsend bringing up fecal dust didn't help matters at all!

Just thinking about how parasites would have a field day being transported across the state or even country when all the vendors went home is sobering.

I do not know about parasites transferring from mother Jackson's to baby jackson's, but I would actually be surprised if we didn't find that happening.

And I lean on doing regular fecals of the chameleons in my collection to keep a handle on the parasites loads. I try hard to keep the order of doing things hygienic, but I also see how hard it is when I am concentrating on it 100%. I am sure I am missing some steps when my brain is busy working out some wording for my next podcast. So, having that safety check is important for me. (I am trying to set up the camera to the microscope so I can bring everyone along with me while I do it.)

They will spread if they are in the same room. Even a small spider moving from one cage to the next or a small fly will move things around. Sanitation is key but it will just reduce the chance of contagion, not eliminate it.

I'd love to know what parasite the crested geckos were carrying. I can't read her paper in the link it's too blurry. Roundworm larvae can be transferred in utero through the placenta in mammals. For instance puppies are born with roundworm larva in their system that develop as they do to be come adult egg laying worms. It isn't hard to imagine that this could occur in egg laying species if the larva migrated into or even onto the egg during development. In the second instance entering the mouth as they hatch. You discussed how hookworm larvae like to migrate. They could be entering the eggs after they are laid in the cage. Either denario would make it very difficult to eliminate them from one generation to the next.

Sorry if all this is redundant, I haven't read the study and haven't got to the pod cast yet. I'm looking forward to it.
Here's the real link. The paper which discusses the Uroplatus ascarid attacking Crested Geckos is here.

Given that the ascaridae were killing 50% of the Crested Geckos, I assume that was a one-off thing with high mortality. It would be interesting to know if they could persist in a CB population or if that is a dead-end host for them.

They will spread if they are in the same room. Even a small spider moving from one cage to the next or a small fly will move things around. Sanitation is key but it will just reduce the chance of contagion, not eliminate it.
The fact that one little fruit fly (or similar) moving one cage to the next, can infect every cage it touches if carrying parasites sure is disheartening. Good to know that is another possibility of transmission to watch out for if and when I bring another animal home.

Now, imagine being a breeder lol ;)
I’m going through this currently. After years and years of keeping and breeding it finally got me. I have an entire clutch of 20 babies that contracted Coccidia.

I noticed some runny poops just before I was supposed to send the first baby out to it’s new home and made the call to delay shipment. I’m very glad I did so because after doing some fecals I found out they had parasites.

This has been a brutal experience lol. I’ve spent countless hours cleaning, treating and doing fecals. One thing I’ve learned is this is a long process. In spite of the crazy cleaning protocols being used I’ve found that multiple treatment rounds are needed. Although I’m starting to see some negative fecals some chameleons are still testing positive.

I’m not sure how they got Coccidia but I have some theories. One thing that probably spread it to all the babies was the use of one scrub pad being used to clean all baby cage bottoms. I keep my baby cages cleaner than I expect most chameleon breeders do but it still spread before I realized I had a problem.

The good news is that I haven’t lost any babies even though some were quite small. Also, if I can get through this it will make me a better keeper with all that I’m learning.

^^I'm so sorry I know how much work this can be. I admire your "that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger" attitude. You may end up knowing more about coccidia treatment then anyone. Were the parents wild caught? Any chance the female had coccidia and left it on the eggs at laying?

I'm a strong believer in using paper towels on cages (sorry trees) and disposing of them between uses. Daily I use paper towels cut into 6 pieces to pick up individual poops. For a weekly or deeper scrubbing you obviously have to use more.

^^I'm so sorry I know how much work this can be. I admire your "that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger" attitude. You may end up knowing more about coccidia treatment then anyone. Were the parents wild caught? Any chance the female had coccidia and left it on the eggs at laying?

I'm a strong believer in using paper towels on cages (sorry trees) and disposing of them between uses. Daily I use paper towels cut into 6 pieces to pick up individual poops. For a weekly or deeper scrubbing you obviously have to use more.
Thanks! I don’t give up easily. If I did I would’ve quit long ago. 🙂

The adults are long term captive WC’s. These parasites were not passed down. I’ve had many clutches from WC females and never had parasite issues. This actually popped up at about the 3 month mark from hatching.

If I can eradicate the coccidia I will gladly share what I’ve done. I took cleaning to a whole other level lol. I’m at the end of the 3rd treatment with some of them. I do about 5 fecals a day. I’ve had a few with two consecutive clean fecals so far which is encouraging.

Thanks! I don’t give up easily. If I did I would’ve quit long ago. 🙂

The adults are long term captive WC’s. These parasites were not passed down. I’ve had many clutches from WC females and never had parasite issues. This actually popped up at about the 3 month mark from hatching.

If I can eradicate the coccidia I will gladly share what I’ve done. I took cleaning to a whole other level lol. I’m at the end of the 3rd treatment with some of them. I do about 5 fecals a day. I’ve had a few with two consecutive clean fecals so far which is encouraging.
I'm battling it to, what meds did you use, I started my guy an albon and it seemed to do more harm waiting for my ponazuril in the mail now

I just did a show where I interviewed Dr. Rachel Siu, the author of the study "Endoparasites of pet reptiles and amphibians from exotic pet shows in Texas, United States". She took fecal samples from 243 healthy looking reptiles being sold at reptile shows (including chameleons) and published her findings as to how many parasites she found. Now, it wasn't surprisong that the chameleons had parasites because they could all be wild caught. The species tested were Brookesia minima (!?), Chamaeleo calyptratus, Trioceros hoehnelii, Trioceros jacksonii, Chamaeleo senegalensis, Furcifer lateralis, and Furcifer pardalis. She did not collect data on whether they were captive bred or not, but I think only pardalis and calyptratus were possible captive breds. But, of course, they could have been wild caught Panthers from Madagascar or veileds from Florida. But only one of the seven panther chameleons was parasite free and only one of the 8 veiled chameleons was parasite free. All the other chameleons had parasites except the single Jackson's Chameleon tested. 23 chameleons in all were tested and 20 had worms and/or coccidia. Now this isn't terribly surprising. because we know chameleons and parasites often come together if they come from the wild.

The most surprising thing to me personally was the crested geckos. 57% of the 90 samples were positive for parasites! There are no wild caught crested geckos floating around. They are, as far as I know, 100% captive hatched because New Caledonia doesn't allow them to be exported. So this means there is a healthy transfer of parasites between species.

This affects us in the chameleon world because we do not have a good answer to how many North American or European parasites can infect our chameleons. And this has a direct affect on what we do when we take items from the wild and put them in with our chameleons. So anything that relates to this I watch with extreme interest. I have never experienced a branch from the wild resulting in a parasite infection in one of my chameleons, but I am acutely aware that a branch from my Southern California trees having no parasites transmissible to chameleons does not mean it is the same for a branch in Florida or Spain. Something I always have to keep in mind when speaking with people from around the world.

Of course, I think it would be obvious that the biggest transfer of parasites in captive situations is us keepers. Parasites are designed to stick to things and travel and so our hands are key conduits between cages.

So, I think this is a great place to have a conversation about parasites and how we can take greater care not to spread them ourselves.

You can take a look at the study itself. Dr Rachel made it accessible for free in her Link.tree account here: https://linktr.ee/exotic.pet.vet
View attachment 330348

Dr. Rachel (Ellerd) Siu is well known on the various social medias as @exotic.pet.vet and shares what she does for work as an exotic pet vet. She has an excellent Instagram (or TikTok under the same name).
View attachment 330349

You can then watch the interview I had with her in the latest episode of The Youtube Chameleon Hour here

After the Chameleon Hour I was joined by Sean McNeeley( @mczoo ) for an interactive discussion about what it means to us as keepers so you are welcome to watch what we have already discussed. We were even joined by Jonathan Hill ( @Dridrop12 ) for the last part as he discussed what happened when he found coccidia in his breeding collection. Which was exceptional because he had yet to include a wild caught into his breeding project at all! It is an excellent watch.

So, this is a lot to process, but it is a subject that is of high importance to us as chameleon keepers. Do you have any thoughts, questions, or experiences to add to the discussion?

I have always questioned what parasites or diseases that live feeders tranmit to our chameleons. With online shipped to your door supplies, who really knows where or what conditions they are bred, born, and raised in. most of us go to great lengths and spend a fortune creating a proper home for our chameleons. I have.recieved purchases with over half of the crickets dead in enough fecas to choke a cow. What else are these little critters bringing to the party?

Back
Top Bottom