What other animals have you/do you keep?

Vasa parrot

Bingo
0817211340a~2.jpg

This has probably been brought up a million times, but it never gets old. I like when we can get to know other members through everyone showing/telling us what kind of critters they keep, or have kept in the past? Anything you guys plan on in the future?

I have had A LOT, but am only several years into keeping chameleons on my own. Currently, I just have 2 cats, YL parsons, 2 kids( boys 14 months and 2 months...), 1 wife, and then a lot of inverts including almost 30 cockroaches some being rare and more sensitive species, phasmids, isopods, katydids, grasshoppers, and flower beetles.

Once space, time, and money allows(hopefully within a year) I plan to get a kenyan blood jacksons xanth and a black and white argentinean tegu. Of course the list doesn't stop there, but those are my next.

Would really like to do a high tech, planted, paludarium display with vampire crabs one day. I'd also like to safely master a sump filtered water feature in a cham enclosure!

Animals, especially unique and out of the ordinary animals, have been my passion and focus since about the time I could crawl.

Would love to hear what anyone here has to add.
You have passion and I have obsession LOL,

Currently just the two chams, 1 Bengal cat, 12 hermit crabs, 10 waxy monkey frogs, 34 year old African Grey, halfmoon conure, meyers, Lilac crowned Amazon, ivory billed aricari.

But in the past? Short-tailed opossum, turtles/torts (sulcata, red-eared sliders, cooters, Asian Box, Eastern box), bobcat, cats/dogs of course, alligator lizards, reed frogs, Pacman frogs and others, possums, various native snakes, Meller's/Jackson's chams, fish from huge Pacu to breeding paradise gouramis, toads, leaf tailed gecko, birds I can remember: honeycreepers, Duvenbode/blue streaked lories, diamond doves, parrot/gouldian/owl/star/strawberry/whydah/cordon bleu/green singer/society and tons of other finches, canaries, blue-throated/severe/yellow collar macaw, senegal/redbellied, blue-headed pionus, Barbet, Yellow nape/blue-fronted/orange wing/DYH amazons, peachfaced/black mask, Fischer's etc. lovebirds, Alexandrine, rabbits, Swainson's toucan, collared aricaris and of course childhood stuff such as hamsters.

Needless to say I have spent half my life cleaning up poo. But each one of them was treasured and taken care of to the very best of my ability. No kids by choice, and one SO who has "cut me off" LOL.

Currently just the two chams, 1 Bengal cat, 12 hermit crabs, 10 waxy monkey frogs, 34 year old African Grey, halfmoon conure, meyers, Lilac crowned Amazon, ivory billed aricari.

But in the past? Short-tailed opossum, turtles/torts (sulcata, red-eared sliders, cooters, Asian Box, Eastern box), bobcat, cats/dogs of course, alligator lizards, reed frogs, Pacman frogs and others, possums, various native snakes, Meller's/Jackson's chams, fish from huge Pacu to breeding paradise gouramis, toads, leaf tailed gecko, birds I can remember: honeycreepers, Duvenbode/blue streaked lories, diamond doves, parrot/gouldian/owl/star/strawberry/whydah/cordon bleu/green singer/society and tons of other finches, canaries, blue-throated/severe/yellow collar macaw, senegal/redbellied, blue-headed pionus, Barbet, Yellow nape/blue-fronted/orange wing/DYH amazons, peachfaced/black mask, Fischer's etc. lovebirds, Alexandrine, rabbits, Swainson's toucan, collared aricaris and of course childhood stuff such as hamsters.

Needless to say I have spent half my life cleaning up poo. But each one of them was treasured and taken care of to the very best of my ability. No kids by choice, and one SO who has "cut me off" LOL.
Whoa that’s my dram you have that many 😂

Lol you got me beat! I'm an obsessive person too(not by choice that my house isn't filled with critters 😬). I tend to get more carried away with enclosures and making them like a piece of art than I do with tons of animals. not that I wouldn't have loads of animals given the space... but I can get stuck for hours going over the tiniest details in an enclosure. And nothing ever seems good enough.

Lol you got me beat! I'm an obsessive person too(not by choice that my house isn't filled with critters 😬). I tend to get more carried away with enclosures and making them like a piece of art than I do with tons of animals. not that I wouldn't have loads of animals given the space... but I can get stuck for hours going over the tiniest details in an enclosure. And nothing ever seems good enough.
Me too, re enclosures. The problem with having a living animal AND living plants is you have to tweak something every day; move or trim a plant, replace what has been dug up etc. Last week I had to use fine jewelry stainless steel wire to attach a butterwort that Eliot kept knocking out of the pot. The plant immediately was relieved and put up a bloom. And then constantly obsessing whether the animal is hydrated, proper lighting, etc. But nothing is more rewarding!

And as I always say...if it was easy everyone would do it!

Those vasa parrots are some strange birds...

Yes they are, aside from being active hunters and scavengers, they are nocturnal on moonlit nights, bury their eggs, along with rotating them like normal birds, change color, and proficient tool users, even using tools only humans have been known to use.

Back
Top Bottom