Graphic - Please help...

This is what I will do if this is my cham,the problem I see here is the back leg so in order for the wound to be completely heal without any further more damage is....you will have to isolate the back leg by temporary wrapping the feet with some sort of the cotton ball and bandage etc to give a chance for that front leg wound to heal properly.
Regarding about the wound ,I would use hydrogen peroxide to clean it once then topical cream along with antibiotics prescribed by ur vet,hope this will help ur cham to get that open wound a chance to heal properly,
once the wound is completely heal , then u can unwrap the back leg cotton bandage but if the cham still grabbing that front leg U will need to put the wrapping cottonball back until further action to be taken .
Alright, I will try this! Anything I have tried to put on him to cover that wound, such as even horse tape to where it sticks to nothing but itself, he acts as if his leg is paralyzed and just drags it around... so I was either thinking I hurt him, or he cannot move his limb because the tape was on there too thick. So I took it off and tried wrapping it differently and tight and then not tight and he just kept being silly and not moving his leg. As soon as I took it off, he was fine though and he ran away from me... I feel like if he had a cotton ball on his leg, he would definitely be the stubborn boy he is and do this too. However, when I do try it, where exactly on his back leg would I put the cotton ball and what would I wrap it with so it doesn't fall off?

Don't give up until you've exhausted all options. I do agree with getting a second opinion if this continues after trying several different things. You may be able to continue to make his life normal even though it may turn out neurological. With the correct set up and hydration and foods he may show less severe symptoms and just need kind of a handicap thing.
I will do the best I can, given I want him to have the best life possible. After putting those plants in there, with so many other things to grab onto, I woke up to him at the bottom of the cage, because he grabbed himself again this morning. I will just have to really baby proof his cage the best I can after cleaning his wounds up.

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to see your little guy's wounds. I have not read all the post but he needs a vet. I would put Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on them and wrap them with non-stick gauze and the 2 sided gauze tape.

I kinda
Alright, I will try this! Anything I have tried to put on him to cover that wound, such as even horse tape to where it sticks to nothing but itself, he acts as if his leg is paralyzed and just drags it around... so I was either thinking I hurt him, or he cannot move his limb because the tape was on there too thick. So I took it off and tried wrapping it differently and tight and then not tight and he just kept being silly and not moving his leg. As soon as I took it off, he was fine though and he ran away from me... I feel like if he had a cotton ball on his leg, he would definitely be the stubborn boy he is and do this too. However, when I do try it, where exactly on his back leg would I put the cotton ball and what would I wrap it with so it doesn't fall off?
This is LITERALLY the SAME that happened with my chameleon. He keeps not moving his leg, they I put something on it, then I take it off, and they he just randomly starts walking:LOL:.

However, when I do try it, where exactly on his back leg would I put the cotton ball and what would I wrap it with so it doesn't fall off?
Of course on his back feet will be the drama cause on this poor sweet little veiled,that sharpie nails are the suspect tearing into those tender flesh in order to heal that wound without any further damage,the necessary temporary bondage on his back feet will be the final order in effect for his itch n pain involving damage scratch ....would u agree ?let him wear a cotton shoe.
Something to wrap on the cotton ball without restricting or hurting his back feet that will depends on how skillfiul with ur hand to use the common surgical tapes to make it fit just right not too tight n not to loose ,if it comes off try again with ur patience and be persist.

Last edited:
Of course on his back feet will be the drama cause on this poor sweet little veiled,that sharpie nails are the suspect tearing into those tender flesh in order to heal that wound without any further damage,the necessary temporary bondage on his back feet will be the final order in effect for his itch n pain involving damage scratch ....would u agree ?let him wear a cotton shoe.
Something to wrap on the cotton ball without restricting or hurting his back feet that will depends on how skillfiul with ur hand to use the common surgical tapes to make it fit just right not too tight n not to loose ,if it comes off try again with ur patience and be persist.
Writing on this is like using a awkward sign language,maybe this will connect better for me n u.
subsub_tape_cotton_balls.jpg.cf.jpg
microporous.png.cf.png
th.jpg

+
1096253.jpg.cf.jpg

I have been tagged to participate. All I want to add is that you have already received incredible and serious feedback that will be complex, challenging and expensive to apply to your care of this chameleon! If you follow the advice received the chameleon should be ok! I am sending you my best wishes and hope your dedication and hard work pays off with a healthy happy chameleon!

Didn't your chameleon have shattered, broken and mangled legs? Probably from some kind of MBD?
His leg was messed up but it went back to normal after it healed. He had MBD in the past because before I bought him, because his leg was messed up when I saw him. Pet store didn't notice. May have been something else.
But I do have a reputation because of that.

His leg was messed up but it went back to normal after it healed. He had MBD in the past because before I bought him, because his leg was messed up when I saw him. Pet store didn't notice. May have been something else.
But I do have a reputation because of that.

The last thing I want to do is tell someone to stop posting on the forums, but PLEASE stop posting in health forums or serious threads. You will continue to get rough treatment from members who know the history of your participation here and the ultimate demise of your chameleon. This has little to do with age but rather bad advise and your self diagnosis and justification for your chameleon's health issues. I am very familiar with your history, and have tried to limit my comments, but you continue to add bad advise or make it seem like you did nothing wrong. I am going to start issuing warnings when needed and will ask you to refrain from commenting on health threads (as many have done) because you are becoming a distraction to the OP's thread. Please understand that you are taking away from the point of the original thread and this is distracting and not helpfull. I continue to get requests to stop you from posting, but am asking you to please only post in threads you are knowledgeable in.

How's the chameleon doing? Any improvements?
He seems to be doing a lot better than we was before. He has not grabbed himself that I know of because he has bushy plants to kind of chill on. As soon as I put his plants in his viv, he started drinking and continues to drink! I have not really seen him eat anything. His crickets stay at the top of his cage, in open areas that he can see, but he does not go after them. He eats very little, but seems to be doing okay other than that. I'm thinking about getting a feeder cup and putting some insects in those to see if he'll try something else and eating in a different way! As for his wounds, they are looking better since he has not grabbed himself!

Definitely get a feeder cup. I just use wax worms or superworm containers with drainage on the bottom and attached with jewelry wire. Sometimes I find it easier with disabled chameleons to use the shallow cups with no backboard. Just position it near a safe and favorite area for him and he should get it.

Definitely get a feeder cup. I just use wax worms or superworm containers with drainage on the bottom and attached with jewelry wire. Sometimes I find it easier with disabled chameleons to use the shallow cups with no backboard. Just position it near a safe and favorite area for him and he should get it.
Will do, I have had something in his viv similar to this,and he has done well with it when he actually decides to eat the worms for once and not waste them! Any ideas on keeping crickets in something so they cannot run or jump from him? He isn't as mobile as almost all chameleons, so he just likes to chill in his favorite spots a lot! I have read that some people cut a half gallon milk jug to an appropriate size so crickets cannot jump out, but yet so chams can still catch them in the jug. Does this sound familiar or do you have a better solution for containing crickets?

That does work, but for my disabled chams (which most aren't fed crickets for long) I just take of the crickets back jumping legs. Pinch them at the thigh and they should pop off.

Gosh, I really dislike crickets. I use a feeder cup for small/med dubia and BSFL. Horn worms you can stick on a branch close by. Since he's not super mobile, I wouldn't even bother with the crickets, personally. So happy to hear he has some improvement... probably a relief to you both :)

Glad he's not grabbing himself now. Hope all will continue to improve.

What have you been doing to treat the wounds? What do you put on them? What do you bandage them with?

Gosh, I really dislike crickets. I use a feeder cup for small/med dubia and BSFL. Horn worms you can stick on a branch close by. Since he's not super mobile, I wouldn't even bother with the crickets, personally. So happy to hear he has some improvement... probably a relief to you both :)

This is true, but since he's still growing and not eating a lot to begin with and having general issues anyways I would just do the feeders that he will eat and not try to force him to eat anything. (though if he takes to new feeders abuse that) But definitely mutilate the crickets to make them more safe

Back
Top Bottom