Graphic - Please help...

Nagyb

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Veiled, 5 months
  • Handling - Every day (you will understand why when you read the serious problem I am having)
  • Feeding - 10 crickets a day (barely touches them) that are gut-loaded with fresh kale and carrots, sometimes on occasion with appropriate fruits.
  • Supplements - I dust my feeders with Rep-Cal no D3 every feeding, and switch between Rep-Cal with D3 and a multivitamin every Friday (2 times a month for each)
  • Watering - Misted from 9am-6pm every hour for 45 seconds (Vet told me to do so)
  • Fecal Description - his fecal is very small, but looks healthy, and his urine is yellow (you will understand when you read the problem I am having)
  • History - Nothing was wrong with Apollo before I had bought him from Underground Reptiles.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Large Repti Breeze. 2ftx2ftx4ft
  • Lighting - His lights are on from 8am-8pm. I have a 150W basking light (because his enclosure is in my basement and it is cold down there and I live in Michigan) and there is a 50W-75W UVB/UVA light as well.
  • Temperature - His basking spot is around 85-90 degrees, the rest of his enclosure 70-75 degrees and during the night 62-70 degrees
  • Humidity - Humidity hits 70%-80% while the Mist King is on and stays at about 50%-60% any other time
  • Plants - No real plants (read my problem)
  • Placement - In the basement
  • Location - Michigan, U.S.A.
Current Problem: Will not eat a lot, back legs grabbing his front legs, open wounds...

So, I've been holding off to post anything for a while because I have done so much research almost every single day on the problem I am having and have been to the vet At LEAST 8-10 times in a matter of 2 months. To help some understand better, that is like once a week for a little over 2 months... Many of us have read forums and posts on here about chams grabbing their front legs with their back legs. Before going to the vet, I have read tons of posts on here about it and most of them have noted that it is a start of MBD, Vitamin A deficiency, Calcium deficiency, etc... I have done everything in my power to help Apollo, my 5 month old chameleon. He is an extremely picky eater, not to mention, I rarely ever actually see him eat anything. I dust his crickets and wax worms (when I actually do give him worms because he won't touch them anymore) with Rep-Cal no D3 every feeding, and every Friday of the week I switch between Rep-Cal with D3 and an Exo Terra multivitamin. I have tried crickets, meal worms, wax worms and horn worms but he was not eating the worms after a while and would not touch the hornworms at all. I have tried cup feeding and free ranging the crickets, but no luck either way. He will not drink or even notice the droplets coming off of the fake plants in his enclosure, so I have to literally take him out every single day, open his mouth and put a couple eye droppers full of water in his mouth... Now to the vet part and the really big kicker... This has been going on since basically the start of the year and it is literally breaking me apart. The vet had to guess it was a calcium deficiency, so we tried Calcium Glubionate for that, but it did not help... and then she said it may be his bones, so we did an X-Ray. The X-Rays came back and they were absolutely PERFECT she said. He has great bone density, no MBD AT ALL, no start of MBD, nothing to worry about with his bones. So she then put him on an inflammatory, thinking maybe it was his muscles that were inflamed from a calcium deficiency that may be in the way of his legs working properly?... that did not work. So, after all of this testing, and many trial and errors, she suggested that it may be neurological in his brain and maybe a parasite was somewhere inside of his head, blocking whatever part of his brain it is that tells him to move his back legs properly. So, we tried a medicine for that. And still nothing. The vet had said there was no other way to really tell if it was a neurological issue because they would need to draw blood, and because he's technically still a baby, he wouldn't have enough blood for that. I have done so much research for Apollo and spent so much money on his setup, to ensure everything is perfect for him, but I feel like I am failing him as a reptile mother and it is bringing me in tears, seeing him hurt himself over and over. I'm sorry for whomever is reading this, because this story is so long but I feel like it is important to know every bit of detail in this case... Also, his cage setup is a little different. I have a 2ftx2ftx4ft screened enclosure, but because he grabs his limbs and falls numerous times a day, I had to put a soft yoga mat/screen type thing in the middle of the enclosure so when he does fall, he will not get hurt and possibly break a bone (which, thank God, has not happened). So, if he did end up getting better throughout all of that stress of going to the vet and the constant processes of giving him medicine, then I was going to put a nice, huge, REAL plant in his Viv and take out the yoga mat that is setup in his enclosure. But he still grabs himself to the point where he has open wounds that he reopens every time he grabs himself, so I cannot trust him with an open 4ft tall enclosure when I am at work... He has plenty of branches in his enclosure, but every time I would tie leafy vines around his branches, he would trip over them and fall, hurting himself again. So, basically the vet had told me there was nothing she could do to help me and I was on my own with this. I have been trying to think of ways to get his wounds to heal, and this is what I have came up with. I have hockey stick tape which is very soft and bendable. I cut two small pieces off and put the sticky parts together and wrapped it around his arm(like a cast) so he could still bend and move around. One arm cast is doing good but the other arm is so wounded that it will not stay on because of the dead skin that is forming around the wound... I am at a loss on what to do anymore because I have tried almost everything and he is my precious baby. I am willing to try anything and everything to help him, and up for any ideas that may work if anyone could please help me. I do not want his wounds to get infected, so I don't even know how to or if I should even attempt to clean them because I know it'll hurt him even worse. Another thing to add, when I hold him, he does not walk or stand. He sits, just like a dog would. I am at work right now and my boyfriend did not send many pictures I can use to show what is happening exactly, but imagine a dog sitting. His back legs are perfectly straight out, while his front legs are bent like they should be. The pictures I am going to attach are not examples of what I mean. When I get home, I will post pictures of his enclosure and what I explained with that.

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 267
I'm not very sure why he is not eating, but the good thing is that your chameleon is show symptoms quickly, which most others don't. It could be MBD, or a parasite. I will update when I find out
a possibility why he won't eat, because something may be linked to that.

I'm not very sure why he is not eating, but the good thing is that your chameleon is show symptoms quickly, which most others don't. It could be MBD, or a parasite. I will update when I find out
Thank you for the reply, but like I said, my vet already opted out it being a parasite or it being MBD.

@Decadancin can this guy get a ban already?
He is causing confusion by replying to topics he doesn't know a single thing about and his wild guesses will likely cause more harm than good.
Newcomers don't know that this is a 12year old trying to be an adult by giving false information.

I'm very sorry for the situation you are in and I applaud you for the time, money and effort you've put into gettin this little guy back on track.

As I am toucjed by your story I will now try to summon one of our greatest minds: @ferretinmyshoes ...
Please take a minute of your valuable time and see if you can help.

Other great minds that may want to share their wisdom; @Andee @jajeanpierre @Nursemaia @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

and really, i normally don't tag people!

@Decadancin can this guy get a ban already?
He is causing confusion by replying to topics he doesn't know a single thing about and his wild guesses will likely cause more harm than good.
Newcomers don't know that this is a 12year old trying to be an adult by giving false information.
I'm 10 FYI. I help around, and you posted on another thread about my info being "false" I give out TRUE INFO from experience. Not just usual info off the first search result on Google. My chameleon actually pasted away after 2 years for unknown reasons. I had to nurse my chameleon back to health, which took long since that time I bought mine from Petco (one of the worst retailers). Your TRYING to get me banned by posting on multiple threads about me being a kid. That doesn't mean anything.

Thank you for the reply, but like I said, my vet already opted out it being a parasite or it being MBD.
Ok I have one question for right now. Have you checked chameleons mouth for anything unusual?
I will also recommend you to the caresheets here, if you haven't yet seen them. Go to Resources and you will see them.

I'm very sorry for the situation you are in and I applaud you for the time, money and effort you've put into gettin this little guy back on track.

As I am toucjed by your story I will now try to summon one of our greatest minds: @ferretinmyshoes ...
Please take a minute of your valuable time and see if you can help.

Other great minds that may want to share their wisdom; @Andee @jajeanpierre @Nursemaia @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

and really, i normally don't tag people!
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for your reply! I love him so dearly and would do anything to help him. I dedicate so much of my time everyday to figure out how to help him in different ways, but I feel so broken down that nothing is working anymore. I really hope someone has some helpful input or advice for my poor guy :(

Ok I have one question for right now. Have you checked chameleons mouth for anything unusual?
I will also recommend you to the caresheets here, if you haven't yet seen them. Go to Resources and you will see them.
Thanks but I've done ample amounts of research and have read many care sheets. I think this is a little more serious than a care sheet read. No offense.

God those are some nasty wounds. Some of the skin around it looks necrotic in a way (not sure so don't quote me) but if you don't have healthy tissue it will not heal and could easily slough off. I don't usually recommend this, quarter strength hydrogen peroxide (mix with water) for cleaning wounds because it can cause issues for healthy tissue, but if he has something similar to an infection in those wounds, like I would assume, I would take a small amount on a qtip and do a one application. I definitely would alter these instructions if @ferretinmyshoes tells you otherwise and if someone else in the other list of who has been tagged says not to I would definitely think again before doing it. But those are some nasty wounds and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tissue wasn't that healthy. Also keep the wounds moist with the wrappings, apply a polysporin with no pain reliever but antibiotic properties. In my opinion your temps are too high, it shouldn't be more for his age than 85 degrees as far as basking. The 45 second mistings are definitely not long enough for a good drink and hydration. So bump that up to at least 2 minutes every other misting and have one a day that is at least 7 minutes. Usually 7 minutes is best in the morning. I would look into making a catch net for him, instead of just relying on the yoga mat. Use both but the catch net would make things safer. I want to say his desire not to eat and generally weird neurological symptoms could easily be from dehydration. I have seen dehydration and starvation symptoms (even when caused by the animal themselves) cause neurological symptoms in a lot species (not even purely reptiles). I have gone through severe dehydration, trust me it's not fun. You may want to try giving him a super long mist, with his bandages off of course, to see if he drinks well. How did he get those wound specifically? Could they be burns? (not sure if you mentioned it and I just missed it)

I would see if your vet would prescribe silvadene cream for the wounds. I'd personally clean with regular saline because as Andee said hydrogen peroxide, even diluted can be damaging to healthy tissue. I'd then work on getting him hydration. Dehydration certainly can cause issues with lack of appetite and neurological symptoms. I'd also recommend carnivore care. I'm so sorry you're going through this but bless you for trying to help this guy.

God those are some nasty wounds. Some of the skin around it looks necrotic in a way (not sure so don't quote me) but if you don't have healthy tissue it will not heal and could easily slough off. I don't usually recommend this, quarter strength hydrogen peroxide (mix with water) for cleaning wounds because it can cause issues for healthy tissue, but if he has something similar to an infection in those wounds, like I would assume, I would take a small amount on a qtip and do a one application. I definitely would alter these instructions if @ferretinmyshoes tells you otherwise and if someone else in the other list of who has been tagged says not to I would definitely think again before doing it. But those are some nasty wounds and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tissue wasn't that healthy. Also keep the wounds moist with the wrappings, apply a polysporin with no pain reliever but antibiotic properties. In my opinion your temps are too high, it shouldn't be more for his age than 85 degrees as far as basking. The 45 second mistings are definitely not long enough for a good drink and hydration. So bump that up to at least 2 minutes every other misting and have one a day that is at least 7 minutes. Usually 7 minutes is best in the morning. I would look into making a catch net for him, instead of just relying on the yoga mat. Use both but the catch net would make things safer. I want to say his desire not to eat and generally weird neurological symptoms could easily be from dehydration. I have seen dehydration and starvation symptoms (even when caused by the animal themselves) cause neurological symptoms in a lot species (not even purely reptiles). I have gone through severe dehydration, trust me it's not fun. You may want to try giving him a super long mist, with his bandages off of course, to see if he drinks well. How did he get those wound specifically? Could they be burns? (not sure if you mentioned it and I just missed it)
The wounds are from his backs legs grabbing his front legs in the same exact spot every time. He just keeps trying to get out of his own death grip and his nails are so sharp that they sink into his skin. He never ends up letting himself go. The wounds are really bad because he does this so much every day, near the same spot each time, making the wound bigger and fresher. I have to check on him every 15-20 minutes or so to make sure he is not attached to himself, or else he will just be stuck on the yoga mat all day until I or my boyfriend come to his enclosure to untangle him. When we do untangle his legs, we really make sure to kind of wean his nails out of his skin, instead of just yanking his legs off, which would obviously make him bleed more :( I will definitely up the mistings for sure, and lower the temps. It's just every time I lower his temps, he always turns dark as if he is cold, until I up his temps back to where they are now. The vet told me to up his temps to make sure if he had any respiratory issues, it would help fix that problem? I believe that is what she had told me. And, as you said it may be the case, the skin around the wound IS actually necrotic. It is dried up and dead, that is why it looks somewhat blackish/brownish around the fresh wound. Will the hydrogen peroxide sting him? He's been through SO much and I just feel awful for him. I feel like he associates me with everything bad happening to him since it's been all within a couple of months. And if I do apply that polysporin, would I leave it as is or should I try my best to cover it up with the homemade bandage I tried to make for him?

I would see if your vet would prescribe silvadene cream for the wounds. I'd personally clean with regular saline because as Andee said hydrogen peroxide, even diluted can be damaging to healthy tissue. I'd then work on getting him hydration. Dehydration certainly can cause issues with lack of appetite and neurological symptoms. I'd also recommend carnivore care. I'm so sorry you're going through this but bless you for trying to help this guy.
I definitely have Carnivore Care! I believe I do, anyways. I have been force feeding it to him since the very time I had a vet visit. My question is, I just never know when to stop giving it to him because I can never tell exactly what it does for him and if it is even helping him at all. You know what I mean? :( And thank you for replying. Every animal deserves a good life and it is up to us to give it to them!! I just feel like there's not much else I can do. That is why I posted, because I really, truly need any helpful, profession advice and I greatly appreciate the help and replies I am getting :)

Firstly let me say you are obviously doing a great job with him, it must be very hard.
If I didn't see the close up of the wounds the pictures look basically healthy, he must be getting a reasonable amount of food. I agree that longer misting sessions would be much better to give him time to realise what is going on and take a decent drink. This might clear up the dehydration issue by itself. The temps are maybe a little high but obviously wouldn't be the cause of this.
As for the wounds what has your vet done for them so far? At least he has a strong grip.....It's clearly not mbd.
I am pretty sure the main problem is something neurological, just because everything else is ruled out or so unlikely. I would imagine it's going to be incurable, and just a case of trying to deal with the symptoms by treating his wounds and trying to prevent further injuries.
I am not qualified in any way though, so I just have to say well done for trying so hard and I hope it works out ok for you.

For carnivore care he should only have .5 ml/cc at one feeding an I think in the beginning he should only have 1cc/ml a day. if he does better you can increase it to 1.5. if he doesn't do better once he has food and water in him over I would say like... 3 days or so. I would be worried it has to do with poor genetics or a neurological issue that happened at birth. Which would never get better and he would likely have to be put down. How long have you had him and how long has he bee. Showing these symptoms... I personally would get rid of the exo-terra multivitamin too, they definitely aren't my preferred. If you are keeping his wounds moist definitely keep bandaging them when you apply the polysporin. It will help with healing. When you force feed make sure to do it right. If you haven't already make sure to check out my thread, medicating chameleons. I will linky directly in a sec. Hydrogen peroxide doesnt really sting but it does caus bubbling and weird sensations. Though I might go with @Nursemaia suggestion. I always prefer silvadene to be honest. It's just hard to get without vet consent. I always have back up tubes. It is an amazing cream.

I forgot to mention about the drinking.... I have tried several other things as well to see if he would drink, thinking maybe it was just the mistking being set off that it was scaring him? Which in all actuality, he attempts to run from it, but obviously he can't because of his leg situation, he cannot really move all that fast. I have tried a dripper and even hand misting from a spray bottle several times a day for 2-3 minutes, but no matter how wet he gets or no matter how many times he looks at the water, HE WILL NOT DRINK IT! :( I've thought, maybe he is scared because I used to always be in the same room as him? But nope, Even when he cannot see me and I can see him, he will not even attempt it. Another question I have, which may be easier to answer when I post pictures of my Viv later when I get home from work, is since I cannot put real plants in his enclosure because of the yoga mat being in the middle of it, how can I possibly get him to drink if he does not realize water is actually water dripping off of the fake leaves? By the time he settles down from the mistking stopping its watering cycle, the leaves will have soaked up all of the water already or it would have dripped all of the water off by then...

Firstly let me say you are obviously doing a great job with him, it must be very hard.
If I didn't see the close up of the wounds the pictures look basically healthy, he must be getting a reasonable amount of food. I agree that longer misting sessions would be much better to give him time to realise what is going on and take a decent drink. This might clear up the dehydration issue by itself. The temps are maybe a little high but obviously wouldn't be the cause of this.
As for the wounds what has your vet done for them so far? At least he has a strong grip.....It's clearly not mbd.
I am pretty sure the main problem is something neurological, just because everything else is ruled out or so unlikely. I would imagine it's going to be incurable, and just a case of trying to deal with the symptoms by treating his wounds and trying to prevent further injuries.
I am not qualified in any way though, so I just have to say well done for trying so hard and I hope it works out ok for you.
Yeah, I really just don't know anymore! I've been leaning more toward neurological, too. And my vet hasn't done anything for the wounds. The last time I had saw the vet was about 2 weeks ago. His arms were pretty bad at the time, but not as bad as you see now. I am definitely going to up my mistings and hope he knows what drinking is!

Back
Top Bottom