Graphic - Please help...

Gosh, I really dislike crickets. I use a feeder cup for small/med dubia and BSFL. Horn worms you can stick on a branch close by. Since he's not super mobile, I wouldn't even bother with the crickets, personally. So happy to hear he has some improvement... probably a relief to you both :)
Thank you for your kinds words, Opheliaeatsbugs! I have tried horn worms before, but he just lets them crawl on him or crawl around his viv. Will not even try to eat them even with as slow as they go! Sad I can't use dubias though :( My boyfriend's mom does not agree with having roaches in the house o_O:(

Sorry just getting around to seeing this thread. I used to be super active on the forums here.Just alot going on in my personal life. Been a member for 7 yrs now. I was wondering exactly what you are using for UVB? You said that it is a 75 watt uva/uvb bulb. Are you SURE it has UVB?. That is not the normal description for what most of use for UVB. Are you using a combo uva/uvb in addition to the basking bulb?? I do believe that grabbing of the legs is one of the first signs of MBD, and that is before the bones start curving or showing signs of breaks or fractures in an xray. As far as the wounds, here is a link for something I have used and other keepers from another group I belong to on FB that swear by it. If anything, it would be nice to get those wounds healed up. Here is the link
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vetericy...Dogs-Horses-Livestock-Small-Animals/16563039?

I've not been around for a while, but I had to jump in and say that you are doing an absolutely incredible job! I wish there were more chameleon parents like you in the world. I don't have anything to add as far as helping your baby, it seems like the incredible forum members have everything pretty well covered. I'm praying for your baby, but it is very clear that you are doing everything you can for him.

Thanks so much for catching that @carol5208 . I honestly would hope for it to be something as simple as developing MBD and just a light change. Honestly it is so much better than a possible neurological illness. Have you had a recent x-ray of Apollo? @Nagyb honestly, I know you said he checked out ok, but that was several months ago and it can develop slower sometimes. MBD is more treatable than a lot of issues I have seen, and I have had some great success with some rehabilitations and rescues with some severe cases. Might be worth looking at again.

As far as insects, have you tried any slower moving flies for him? I have noticed black soldier flies are super slow movers and the larvae are super high in natural calcium if he will eat them.

Thanks so much for catching that @carol5208 . I honestly would hope for it to be something as simple as developing MBD and just a light change. Honestly it is so much better than a possible neurological illness. Have you had a recent x-ray of Apollo? @Nagyb honestly, I know you said he checked out ok, but that was several months ago and it can develop slower sometimes. MBD is more treatable than a lot of issues I have seen, and I have had some great success with some rehabilitations and rescues with some severe cases. Might be worth looking at again.

As far as insects, have you tried any slower moving flies for him? I have noticed black soldier flies are super slow movers and the larvae are super high in natural calcium if he will eat them.
Hi Andee! I am going to try and get more active on here again! I mean maybe the lighting is a shot in the dark, but yes that would be nice if it were something that simple!!.

Sorry just getting around to seeing this thread. I used to be super active on the forums here.Just alot going on in my personal life. Been a member for 7 yrs now. I was wondering exactly what you are using for UVB? You said that it is a 75 watt uva/uvb bulb. Are you SURE it has UVB?. That is not the normal description for what most of use for UVB. Are you using a combo uva/uvb in addition to the basking bulb?? I do believe that grabbing of the legs is one of the first signs of MBD, and that is before the bones start curving or showing signs of breaks or fractures in an xray. As far as the wounds, here is a link for something I have used and other keepers from another group I belong to on FB that swear by it. If anything, it would be nice to get those wounds healed up. Here is the link
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vetericy...Dogs-Horses-Livestock-Small-Animals/16563039?
I have tried maybe 2-3 different UVB bulbs and then when the vet asked me about it, she eventually just told me to get a bulb that was both UVB AND UVA, and so I did. I do not remember the exact brand, but I know it is a popular one. Zilla/Reptisun/something along those lines! I believe I purchased it from Petsmart. And yes I did have a recent X-Ray and his bones and density were magnificent. I really believe it is something beyond my control, such as it being neurological. He has been doing much better lately though! However, I will be taking him to the vet again soon. His arm that has the big wound on it is swollen and I can't tell if he is really willing to use it or not since he stays completely still around me!

Yes I had his X-Ray very recently, bones and density were perfect and strong! And as for black soldier flies, do you know where I could get some - not too many? I have never heard of them and I live about 15 minutes away from Detroit in Michigan, so I don't know if I can get them here. As I have said, he is SO picky when it comes to eating, I don't want to necessarily buy like, a big 500 count if he won't touch them :LOL:

Ummm usually you can buy them at certain petcoa if you have one near you? They are sold as calciworms there don't keep them in the fridge if you want them to pupate.

You can also by them online in smaller numbers, calciworms and Phoenix worms are various names they are sold under. They are all the same type XD. Make sure when you get them to keep them just a bit moist. But otherwise they pupate when ready. When they pupate they may look dead. They turn black and kind of dry out. Just either put some in an open cup in his enclosure like that and wait, or just in a potted plant. They will appear soon enough. As flies they kind of look similar to black wasps. But they aren't dangerous and are super slow fliers. Is your boy doing better at all?

Ummm usually you can buy them at certain petcoa if you have one near you? They are sold as calciworms there don't keep them in the fridge if you want them to pupate.

You can also by them online in smaller numbers, calciworms and Phoenix worms are various names they are sold under. They are all the same type XD. Make sure when you get them to keep them just a bit moist. But otherwise they pupate when ready. When they pupate they may look dead. They turn black and kind of dry out. Just either put some in an open cup in his enclosure like that and wait, or just in a potted plant. They will appear soon enough. As flies they kind of look similar to black wasps. But they aren't dangerous and are super slow fliers. Is your boy doing better at all?
Okay I will definitely check next time I visit Petco or PetSmart. Thanks for the info! And I believe he is doing better. He has not grabbed himself since I've changed his viv around and not as many crickets in the cage as before, from what I have noticed :) Although, I'm not sure if you saw my reply to Carol5208, but he has a little swelling on his arm that is openly wounded, so I will be scheduling a vet visit ASAP. My poor little guy just cannot catch a break :( While I am there, I am going to see if they can actually give me a prescribed cream for his wound as well, to keep it a lot more moist. I truly appreciate all of your advice, popping in to ask about Apollo, and sticking with me through this, Andee! Your presence is truly helpful, as well as everyone else's. Thank you thank you!

Sounds like he has started an infection on that leg. Don't worry it should be able to be fixed likely easy, he might need to be on antibiotics for it after they clean it out. I mean he won't like it and all but hopefully if it is what I think they are relatively easy treatments. Just when giving meds like antibiotics or pain meds to chams makes sure they are super well hydrated during the process. I am glad his grabbing thing is better though.

Back
Top Bottom