Graphic - Please help...

I just saw these pictures. That is a very chameleon UNFRIENDLY cage. He needs small vines/branches for grabbing. Those big fake vines are impossible for him to wrap his feet around.

There can be all kinds of reasons besides neurological reasons for him to not be able to grip well including pain from gout which is usually caused by kidney failure. Or too high a protein diet. (Carnivore Care for three months?)

You really need a second opinion and you need to take in photos of the cage and an accurate detail of your husbandry.
Also, the vet did not instruct me otherwise with the Carnivore Care Mix. They told me the more I could get in system, the better...

To rehydrate him you can try to do the worm shower pointing the head at the wall and just let it mist him for about 30 minutes if you think that's possible he will sit in a plant

I don't think that the wounds being misted so often is giving them a chance to dry out and heal.
I don't think bandaging them will allow them to heal either but you have the additional problem of him grabbing the wounds and preventing them from healing too. He may not be eating partly because he is in pain. What I keep trying to figure out is how to stop him from grabbing himself until what's making him do it can be figured out.

To rehydrate him you can try to do the worm shower pointing the head at the wall and just let it mist him for about 30 minutes if you think that's possible he will sit in a plant

Michelle, didn't you read the original post? He has a MistKing. A shower is INFERIOR in a million ways to a MistKing. You are recommending an inferior method for hydration as well as recommending the OP stress the heck out of a very sick chameleon. Your suggestion makes no sense at all and will only do harm.
@Nagyb

Yes, you are right. As of right now, he has mobility issues, sores that will not heal and no appetite... I was running my mister the way my vet had told me. The mistking is very new to me and I was following some of the things I had read on here. That is my fault, I guess I read some wrong info! My vet did not change anything except for making the misting sessions longer each hour in my viv. What misting schedule would you suggest? I would really like to change that immediately. Also, should I just take out most of those vines and get a big plant in there and maybe a couple small ones and see if that helps him at all? One of my problems right now is I live in Michigan. I have checked Lowes and Home Depot, while none of their stores carry any chameleon safe plants in their nursery at this time because of the cold :( I have also noticed that even with the thinner, green, jungle-like vines in the pictures, he still grabs himself... That is why I intertwined them together to begin with, so he could grab the branches. Before, his back legs couldn't even find the branches so he finally found something to grab onto, that being his front legs and starting his sores.

My perfectly healthy chameleons grab themselves all the time.

How often are you misting? This is a veiled, right? He shouldn't need misting more than four times a day. If he does, my feeling is that he has some issues like kidney failure or something like that. I would think two long sessions of no more than 5 minutes a day, one in the morning and one at about 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. Add two shorter sessions of about a minute say at 11:00 and and hour before lights out, so four sessions totaling maybe 10 minutes. That should be a lot for a veiled. I'd give more than the minimum because he is ill, but no more than 15 minutes a day.

Get some fake reptile plants. Use a framework of lots of thin (pencil-sized and bigger) branches throughout the cage. Look in the nurseries for a sword fern or a big pothos. I cut a sword fern up into many clumps and plant each clump in a little pot and zip tie them to the branch frame work.

Also, I really think there must be some kind of systemic infection based on the swelling of his leg. See if the vet won't put him on antibiotics.

The old school of thought was that wounds should be dry to heal but now we know that a healthy wound is moist so I would recommend covering them with bandages and changing daily. Clean with saline and either use a polysporin like Andee recommended or get the vet to prescribe silvadene cream which I think would be the best. Do not clean with any isopropyl alcohol or a diluted isopropyl alcohol solution.

Nursemaia..you said the wound should be moist...but is it OK for the bandages/wounds to be wet from frequent mistings?

Yes, you are right. As of right now, he has mobility issues, sores that will not heal and no appetite... I was running my mister the way my vet had told me. The mistking is very new to me and I was following some of the things I had read on here. That is my fault, I guess I read some wrong info! My vet did not change anything except for making the misting sessions longer each hour in my viv. What misting schedule would you suggest? I would really like to change that immediately. Also, should I just take out most of those vines and get a big plant in there and maybe a couple small ones and see if that helps him at all? One of my problems right now is I live in Michigan. I have checked Lowes and Home Depot, while none of their stores carry any chameleon safe plants in their nursery at this time because of the cold :( I have also noticed that even with the thinner, green, jungle-like vines in the pictures, he still grabs himself... That is why I intertwined them together to begin with, so he could grab the branches. Before, his back legs couldn't even find the branches so he finally found something to grab onto, that being his front legs and starting his sores.

The misting sched should be such that the entire tank dries out between mistings, else you will get mildew etc. I dont know what the doc has for duration of misting, but that is the frequency.

As for climbing things. Lowes should have some really thick black Polypropylene Extruded Mesh poultry netting with 1/2-3/4" holes.

Here is a pic of the green stuff.

http://www.plasticmesh.net/plastic-mesh/ground-reinforcement-plastic-mesh.html

Nursemaia..you said the wound should be moist...but is it OK for the bandages/wounds to be wet from frequent mistings?

The bandage should not allow moisture from outside to get to the wound. The bandage serves 2-3 purposes; keep the wound moist, keep outside contaminants away, allow proper air flow to the wound. If the bandage gets wet and soaks to the wound, there is no point in having it on. On the other hand if you can coat the bandage with one of the various formulas mentioned in nursemaia's article, it wont let water in, but still let air out.

Change the dressing after the first misting of the day so then there's only 2 or 3 mistings where the dressing may become wet. OP is already having difficulty with this cham drinking so I don't think it's going to sit directly under the nozzle and get the dressing saturated. If the outer layer gets damp that's acceptable. Plus there's different types of wraps, tape, and bandages that repel water. I would recommend getting telfa which is nonstick and somewhat water resistant and securing with a bit of vet wrap. Not tight just snug enough to keep the bandages in place. Moist wounds promote granulation tissue and speed healing.

Okay all, thank you SO much for the help! I will definitely get those wounds clean and moist ASAP. My little guy is sleeping at the moment so when I get home from work tomorrow, I will work on this! I also changed my misting schedule to suggested! Also, I went out after work today and rechecked Lowes because they said they started to restock their nursery this month, so this is NO where near done, but it is all I could do with the time I had in the store. I added more foliage, now just have to get a smaller size plant stand, so he has more room and another plant, and I think he will be a lot happier :) I ran the MistKing after I set it all up and washed the plants and he INSTANTLY started drinking on his own! Oh man, that gave me such a relief. No more having to force him to drink and no more dehydrated baby! Still have a long ways to go but within the next couple of days, I will be changing a lot and I can already tell he'll really love it! As for grabbing himself, I can only hope giving him more things to grab on and hide in will help with him not doing it so much...

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 119
Don't give up until you've exhausted all options. I do agree with getting a second opinion if this continues after trying several different things. You may be able to continue to make his life normal even though it may turn out neurological. With the correct set up and hydration and foods he may show less severe symptoms and just need kind of a handicap thing.

This is what I will do if this is my cham,the problem I see here is the back leg so in order for the wound to be completely heal without any further more damage is....you will have to isolate the back leg by temporary wrapping the feet with some sort of the cotton ball and bandage etc to give a chance for that front leg wound to heal properly.
Regarding about the wound ,I would use hydrogen peroxide to clean it once then topical cream along with antibiotics prescribed by ur vet,hope this will help ur cham to get that open wound a chance to heal properly,
once the wound is completely heal , then u can unwrap the back leg cotton bandage but if the cham still grabbing that front leg U will need to put the wrapping cottonball back until further action to be taken .

Back
Top Bottom