Graphic Picture Warning: New cagemate

Are you so certain that this gecko hadn't eaten something pesticide laden just prior to being caught? There's a lot more to worry about with WC food than just parasites.

No pesticides or anything are used anywhere by my house. The only risk would be parasites. I am over this though. And I have already apologized twice for not putting the warning. I seriously did not think it was a big deal since pictures of chams eating their meals are posted daily.
And yes, if i had a cheap, abundant source of small chams and an animal that ate them in my care I would feed them to it. I have reef aquariums as well and guess what! I feed some of those marine animals other fish....We are mammals and you guys eat inhumanly slaughtered mammals too. Some of you would even eat my pet horse, whatever floats your boat. A horse doesn't deserve to live anymore than a cow when you look at it realistically.
These anoles are an INVASIVE species that has pretty much wiped out the native green anoles. Just like the lionfish in the keys.
Most of you are hypocrites , sitting on your high horses like you have some moral say on which lives are more important than others, as you eat your steaks. I am over it. Whatever. I will drop it now and make sure I do not "butt hurt" anymore "sensitive" people in the future.

If its any consolation, I read the title of the post and assumed it was a cham eating another cham, at least you put graphic warning, Im not sure what peole expected otherwise; were they hoping to see a mutilated chameleon? That sounds worse to me :/

What I mean is that it's prudent to hold on to WC food for a while first, to make sure they didn't eat something. Just because you don't use chemicals around your house doesn't mean that your neighbor doesn't have roach and ant traps everywhere, and that the little anole didn't come across one of those newly poisoned grubs on its way to your home. I only catch WC bugs but I hold onto them several days, gutloading them, before feeding them to anyone just to make sure. Because you really can't be sure otherwise, unless you really live really out in the middle of nowwhere.

Also, just putting this out there, fishing isn't any better for the world. Something like 80% of all fish are WC at unsustainable numbers, which means we're leaving nothing left to eat for sharks, seals, dolphins, other fish, etc.

What I mean is that it's prudent to hold on to WC food for a while first, to make sure they didn't eat something. Just because you don't use chemicals around your house doesn't mean that your neighbor doesn't have roach and ant traps everywhere, and that the little anole didn't come across one of those newly poisoned grubs on its way to your home. I only catch WC bugs but I hold onto them several days, gutloading them, before feeding them to anyone just to make sure. Because you really can't be sure otherwise, unless you really live really out in the middle of nowwhere.

Also, just putting this out there, fishing isn't any better for the world. Something like 80% of all fish are WC at unsustainable numbers, which means we're leaving nothing left to eat for sharks, seals, dolphins, other fish, etc.
Olimpia, quick question, does holding onto wc feeders for a bit and gut loading them prior to feeding, does this also help minimize the chances of parasites? Or is it just to neutralize any pesticide that might be in their system?

I was wondering the same thing...it went from a few people asking nicely for there to be a warning in the title to slaughtering cows and eating horses...is there a way to lock the thread?

Some of you would even eat my pet horse, whatever floats your boat. A horse doesn't deserve to live anymore than a cow when you look at it realistically.

I know it's off topic but seriously opposition to horse slaughter has made the last 5-6 years in zoos absolute hell. Just because it's a "pet" doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the food chain.

I don't think this is disturbing...and IT IS NATURE...i don't see the chameleon being force fed lizards...it just happens that a cage will be a much smaller place than a rainforest, I think that by observing animals behavior we learn, regardless if its a snake eating a panther chameleon(which does happen in Madagascar) or a chameleon eating a cricket. IMO just exercise more tact next time so you don't get a ton of panties in a bunch.

Neat idea for a malnourished chameleon. Might i ask what type of lizard that is he's eating???

Sometimes i think that the low end crested geckos are going to flood the market so much that they'll become a new feeder lizard.

I have for a long time entertained the idea of feeding vertebrates (small lizards/gecko's) to chameleons and have actually wrote an article about it. From my research for larger chameleons and especially documented for Furcifer oustaleti regularly in their natural habitat consume smaller vertebrates including lizards/gecko's. However as pointed out coming from a lizard loving community is probably one big reason why I do not look to them as a normal feeder. Other than that this thread has gone off topic.

To the OP: First of all your Cham looks good from what I can see. You seem to have made a good job from fattening him up for the past month (following your explanation him being neglected and thin).

I didn't really follow the thread due to the vast responses of other members (which is always the case in such threads).

So excuse if my answer repeats: in nature chameleons eat a huge variety of food which all contributes to a balanced diet. As pets they are far away from that variety. That is why we have designed food, supplementation and gut loading around a numbered variety of feeders. In nature they do eat other lizards as well as their kin but in an artificial environment with potted plants, artificial light and constant food supply, the situation is very different.

I would argue that everything - except space - is oversupplied to our pets. Only from that consideration I would not try to mimic nature and give anything that moves and fits the mouth to a pet chameleon. The excess amount of protein meets and excess amount of general food supply and therefor can be counterproductive.

If you really want to improve your Chams health, do a proper gut loading to insect feeders and provide good supplementation. Sandrachameleon has a great blog for that which most of us follow with great results.

it blows my mind that I went out for 2 hours and came back to see how this grew and it's just people whining and stating opinions that hold no water because this is online and people will do what they want if this girl was trying to get a rouse out of you all well guess what she did it lol. What a waste of intelligence on this post.

Im glad her cham ate that thing and she got a awesome shot like that that is a disturbing image and people need to be disturbed once in a while look at what it did i gave everyone something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I took my male Andapa to the park and walk the trail with him but i guess sitting home on a forum is more fun lol ahahahah PEOPLE IM BEGGING YOU TO END THIS STOP FEEDING INTO THIS NONE SENSE ENJOY YOUR LIVES AND YOUR CHAMS YOU AND THE CHAM ONLY LIVE ONCE

OH GOD! You gotta love it.:D
How about make pictures only "viewable" by clicking a link at the end of the post? That way people will know what they're going to see.
I bet people would still look anyway, BUT......they wouldn't be able to gripe, "OMG, I can't believe you MADE me look at that".
I think some people can be overly sensitive on some subjects and the banter gets ridiculous.
I don't make a fuss when a pic of a praying mantis is eaten. Heck, I even post pics of it. I raise them as a hobby, but I also use them as feeders when there's extra.
What would the thoughts be on a praying mantis eating a baby chameleon?:eek:

In nature chameleonkev...Hawks, lemurs, snakes eat chameleons. Do we complete the whole circle of life? Is that what were are aiming for, nature?

It drives me up the @!#%ing wall to hear this "Logic".

Agreed.. This isn't the wild, if it were most of us probably wouldn't have chameleons still. My best friend has a 6 foot ball python.. Should I just go over and let them duel it out? The logic is just plain stupid, you guys are thinking of reasons to contradict everything that other forum members are saying to get a rise out of it. I've been gone the past 5 hours and this thread is still going.. Can we all be an adult here and let it go.

Agreed.. This isn't the wild, if it were most of us probably wouldn't have chameleons still. My best friend has a 6 foot ball python.. Should I just go over and let them duel it out? The logic is just plain stupid, you guys are thinking of reasons to contradict everything that other forum members are saying to get a rise out of it. I've been gone the past 5 hours and this thread is still going.. Can we all be an adult here and let it go.

Guess not.:D

Back
Top Bottom