Help! Baby panther chameleon seems sick

I was to the vet today.
Cedric is only 2g although he should be 3-5g at this age.
His gum was pale and she said he most likely has very few red blood cells. This seems like something to be confirmed with bloodwork. Not that bloodwork on a 2gm Cham is easy, or necessarily advisable.

Give him 0,005ml Zolcal (liquid calcium and d3 supplement) 1 time every day.
Heighten the temperature on his basking spot to 31-32 celsius degrees. Again, that is getting pretty warm, but I guess it’s acceptable
Carnivore care to give him 1-2 times a day, 0,05-0,1ml, each time.

Couldn't see parasites in his poop but couldn't get a fresh enough sample for them. We will treat for 1-cell organisms anyway with Flagyl, 0,03ml, 1 time every week for 3 weeks.As said, metronidazole on a 2gm chameleon seems problematic, and doing so without FP confirmation seems, um, not awesome.

And then she recommended to give him extra Repashy Vitamin A plus, 1 time a week during a month. Is this the product with 2,000,000 IUs of retinol? That seems excessive.

I have a revisit booked in 2 weeks from today.

She wanted me to give Reptivite d3 way more often than once a week or every 2nd... That confused me a lot. That confuses me even more, so I hope @ferretinmyshoes will weigh in here.

She also said the humidity was way too high during the night and that it should be 60% and that the temperature 22 cesius degrees was too low... confused me as well since I have read otherwise elsewhere.I don’t want to crap all over your vet, s/he may have good reasons for this recommendation, but I’d like to know what those are. She said it was because the water becomes particles in too high humidity which they breath in with bacteria if any is present... something like that. I’m not convinced that this is a complete explanation of the phenomenon in question.

Is it this different in care because of his ageAs I said numerous times, I am not a vet, and it is certainly possible that a vet who is extremely familiar with chameleons may indeed have good reasons for what s/he says. But it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I don’t know what else to say here, because my advice is based on anecdotal/experiential evidence, and not backed up by a DVM. So I’m wary of contradicting what might be solid veterinary advice that could very well be beyond the scope of my understanding. I hope someone chimes in here.

Look, there are very few vets on this site, and far be it from any of us non-vets to disagree with your vet’s recommendations, but I’d certainly make sure your vet has actual chameleon experience. I find the use of metronidazole on a 2gm chameleon to be a bit scary, and probably difficult to implement. Metronidazole should be used when flagellated Protozoa are confirmed, not prophylactically, nor as a “guess”. Again, that’s coming from a hobbyist, not a vet. Likewise, nightime humidity and daytime temps are pretty well established parameters for your species, and deviation from these should be undertaken with caution. I have no idea whether this is appropriate, but I’ll tag some one here: @ferretinmyshoes ?

I did not ask if she specifically had chameleon experience...

I do feel like I have to clarify that she did take his weight into account when she prepared the medicine. I was not in the same room as her when she made it so I can't say what she did but I got told by the nurse that's why thr vet took a long time to return to me while I was waiting.

I did not ask if she specifically had chameleon experience...

I do feel like I have to clarify that she did take his weight into account when she prepared the medicine. I was not in the same room as her when she made it so I can't say what she did but I got told by the nurse that's why thr vet took a long time to return to me while I was waiting.
I would consider getting a second opinion, if it was me, but metronidazole is hard on chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom