Graphic Picture Warning: New cagemate

AmberNichole

Guess they didn't get along very well hee hee

2013-04-26230428_zpsba05b7e2.jpg

Disclaimer:
Yes I know there is too much protein in lizards/mice, and can if fed too often can cause organ damage, yes I know they can sometimes carry parasites (so can insect feeders though), it was a one time thing, and last but not least, he was very neglected and thin when I got him about a month ago, figured the boost of protein couldn't hurt. *Sigh....lol:D

I wish people wouldn't post pictures like this. I am a lizard lover and therefore do not wish to view things like this. Please in the future, if you are going to post pictures like this post the title explaining EXACTLY what it is so for those of us who get upset at things like this we do not have to view it.:mad:. I think it is awful that you joke about it. JMO

Ahh, nature....... Though I am not botherd be carefull, some people will blow things like this outta proportion. Yeah, give them a warning in the title:)

Ahh, nature....... Though I am not botherd be carefull, some people will blow things like this outta proportion. Yeah, give them a warning in the title:)

It's not nature when you throw an animal in a cage to be eaten by another. And yes, we do it with bugs, which I do not consider being in "Nature" either. Yes, I am one of those "people" as you suggested. Sorry, but yes their should be a warning and there will be people that want to look at it and that is fine. To each his own.

Really not that big of a deal... People do far worse things on youtube and think its funny. At least she had a reason and wasn't just toying around to see what happened.

But for future reference Carol, I am on your side as far as feeding Chameleons things such as anoles, mice and that kind of things. The protein can be good if you are trying to put on weight and maybe once a year if you wanted to it would be okay but I don't support it, to many things can go wrong.

why would you post this ? its not funny- or cute- or even a good pic- feed what you want- but when you are on a site dedicated to lizards - DUH ! - you should put something like * WARNING* - lizard eating another - this was NOT something I wanted to see- or have any of my kids see- lets use our heads here - you have a place 'albums ' you can put this- just my feeling - dont get me wrong- I know they are good food and all- but this is about what should be a "warning" title - please be considerate of others next time you deiced to post something like this and add a warning :mad:

sorry- this is NOT YOUTUBE

I didn't say this was Youtube... I was simply saying that there are worse things going on outside of ChameleonForums. Luckily we keep most of these things out but no need to freak out on her. Send her a nice PM instead of blowing this up and explain to her why you think its bad and why you don't support it. The way you guys come off is in attack mode. We all need to be adults about it and let it brush off your shoulder. I don't like it, I don't support it, but it isn't my chameleon and there is nothing I or we can do about it. Best to just ask her nicely not to post things like this because it can offend someone. I'm all for us enjoying these amazing creatures but I hate to see us bicker like this when most of us are adults.

I have to agree with the other members on this. Kinda disturbing. I know you are free to have your own opinion and you can post whatever you want, just please title it something different so those of us that are squeamish don't look at it. On a positive note, glad your Cham is doing good :)

I didn't say this was Youtube... I was simply saying that there are worse things going on outside of ChameleonForums. Luckily we keep most of these things out but no need to freak out on her. Send her a nice PM instead of blowing this up and explain to her why you think its bad and why you don't support it. The way you guys come off is in attack mode. We all need to be adults about it and let it brush off your shoulder. I don't like it, I don't support it, but it isn't my chameleon and there is nothing I or we can do about it. Best to just ask her nicely not to post things like this because it can offend someone. I'm all for us enjoying these amazing creatures but I hate to see us bicker like this when most of us are adults.

yes, maybe you are right- I see she is new- I guess had it not been for the "hehe" at the end- that is what irked me I guess.
I have had these little guys as pets - and I know may also do- so maybe you are right- I know this kind of stuff is fed - and I dont even have an issue with the pic- its just it should have been a "warning" - then I could have skipped it right over- and not had to think about the poor feeder guy the rest of the morning ~ :(

Yeah its fine, some people blow things out of proportion with things like this, and act on their "emotional" feelings instead of their "logical" thinking... and that's not meant to insult anyone by any stretch. Its just the truth, some people look at that, and get that instant emotional response instead of looking at it logically, and react that way.

Its not meant to insult anyone either some people just cant handle it, just like they cant watch Africa documentaries with lions, cheetahs, etc killing eating game animals, and its usually the sick or "young" as they are easier to get. They get too emotionally attached to the subject being eaten, which is then followed by something like "o that poor baby :-( " etc. When logically they know the lions need to kill to eat, logically they know all the lions will then in turn wither and die if they don't kill and eat, logically they also know without lions eating pray, the game animals would reproduce to the extent of them killing them self's when their numbers get too large the land cant sustain them all and they them self's begin to starve and die off. But during that 1 specific instance, all "emotional types of people" care about is that one gazelle or what ever it may be, being killed and eaten by the predators.

But to get back to the other subject in this post, YES it is nature. Just because it didn't happen IN the wild or "nature" as some would like to say, doesn't mean its not nature. The chameleon is still acting on NATURAL INSTINCTS, and he is eating the lizard to fulfill his natural desire for nutrition. The smaller lizard is still fulfilling his roll in the food chain (just as 99% of these lizards will be eaten or die from accident in the "wild" before dieing of old age) so him being eaten in a cage is no different from the outcome of if he were wild. Just because you don't like it because it was "in a cage" doesn't mean its not nature any less.

and if you really want to break it down logically to biology, all living things with the exception of (plant photosynthesis, and extreme biology living off of poisonous chemicals) all other living creatures NEED TO CONSUME OTHER LIVING TISSUE TO LIVE. From the smallest bacteria and insects, to the largest massive sharks and whales etc, and everything in between. Something is eating another living creature, killing it for its own benefit and survival. And that doesn't just have to mean killing and eating a bug, reptile, mammal, ect. That includes all plant consumption too, any time a "herbivore" eats a plant, it is sending trillions of living plant cells to their death in a nice large bath of acid, slowly burning all those cells alive, until they die, break open and release their inner nutrients to be absorbed. Nature is not "nice", it has evolved this way over millions and millions of years, it is "mean and nasty" cruel in many ways if only looking at it from an emotional standpoint. Obviously it would be nice if nothing in the world ever needed to eat any other living thing again, if somehow all living things could just sustain them self's off of breathing air, get all their energy from only the sun and the air and would only reproduce enough to replace them self's, unfortunately though, its not the way "nature" works... it came up with the "food chain" and we are all apart of it.

But to appease those who will get upset over this image, a title warning would suffice imo.

I must say, that it surprised me to even see this picture, however I agree with Moogle73. It is nature and I guess that we as humans who have domestic pets (regardless of what it is) never see the food chain at work. In the wild, dogs eat other living animals, cats do it too, and I guess Chameleons do as well. I would say change the title to a more sufficient warning.

Don't forget that reptiles DO consume other larger prey (not just crickets ((Example: Snakes and Monitors and other of the sort.)) and worms) I have owned a lot of snakes in the past so I guess that's why it didn't effect me so much, but for those of you who got upset, I know that it can be upsetting to see something as unusual as this, but just remember that it IS nature.

Yes Moogle you bring up a great point as I am one of those who does not watch(nor do I care to) an animal like a lion tearing apart a Zebra. To be honest with you, I turn away from my chameleons eating a hornworm or silkworm as I do not get pleasure out of seeing the worms insides squirt out. Nature to me is when things are hunting things out in the WILD, not a 2 X 2 X 4 foot cage where the poor animal has no means of escape. Like I said to each his own. You have your opinion and I have mine... Just sayin.....

Yes Moogle you bring up a great point as I am one of those who does not watch(nor do I care to) an animal like a lion tearing apart a Zebra. To be honest with you, I turn away from my chameleons eating a hornworm or silkworm as I do not get pleasure out of seeing the worms insides squirt out. Nature to me is when things are hunting things out in the WILD, not a 2 X 2 X 4 foot cage where the poor animal has no means of escape. Like I said to each his own. You have your opinion and I have mine... Just sayin.....

Yeah, and there are a lot of people with the same emotional response, I totally get it and respect your opinion, and my intention is by no means "negative" towards you. I was just saying my point of view as well, and that its nature in progress. Do I feel for anything dieing, of course I do, but its the way nature works, and the way its been working for hundreds of millions of years.

But the way I look at it, the only thing unnatural about the whole situation is the cage its self lol. If both of these animals were out in the wild, within the same vicinity of each other the same exact response and outcome would have happened. Yet we humans, try to bring nature into our living rooms, "domesticate" live wild creatures for our own. In doing so we also have to accept the good and the bad of such decisions, the bad such as sustaining their habitat, and the costs associated with it. The cleaning of all waste and maintaining a healthy environment, as well as supplying them with food from their food chain... but with all that obviously comes the good of having a wonderful animal/species in our house to observe and interact with on a daily basis.

Yeah, and there are a lot of people with the same emotional response, I totally get it and respect your opinion, and my intention is by no means "negative" towards you. I was just saying my point of view as well, and that its nature in progress. Do I feel for anything dieing, of course I do, but its the way nature works, and the way its been working for hundreds of millions of years.

But the way I look at it, the only thing unnatural about the whole situation is the cage its self lol. If both of these animals were out in the wild, within the same vicinity of each other the same exact response and outcome would have happened. Yet we humans, try to bring nature into our living rooms, "domesticate" live wild creatures for our own. In doing so we also have to accept the good and the bad of such decisions, the bad such as sustaining their habitat, and the costs associated with it. The cleaning of all waste and maintaining a healthy environment, as well as supplying them with food from their food chain... but with all that obviously comes the good of having a wonderful animal/species in our house to observe and interact with on a daily basis.
agree, agree and agree!!! Just let me know if you're gonna post a picture or video of it cause I don't want to see it! Over and out people!

no offence to anyone but why do people use the excuse of thats the way nature work when nature is no the best for the animals, animals in nature live with parasites and die very young and are always in danger of been eaten

and if nature is the best why do we keep chameleons in cages? that is no natural at all

Yeah its fine, some people blow things out of proportion with things like this, and act on their "emotional" side of their brain instead of their "logical" side of the brain... and that's not meant to insult anyone by any stretch. Its just the truth, some people look at that, and get that instant emotional response instead of looking at it logically, and react that way..
'

The part about the "emotional" side and "logical" side is a VERY board statement... and unless you care to elaborate a lot I think this statement is fairly foolish.

You can not say "one side of the brain" as that will bug the heck out of any psychology major like myself. If you are going to try and use psychology and science to prove a point please be more specific, not just stick a stereotype that everyone uses such as brain sided-ness which is totally a skin deep idea about psychology.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom