Graphic Picture Warning: New cagemate

no offence to anyone but why do people use the excuse of thats the way nature work when nature is no the best for the animals, animals in nature live with parasites and die very young and are always in danger of been eaten

and if nature is the best why do we keep chameleons in cages? that is no natural at all

Well, its not really being used as an excuse more of a fact, that's how nature works. And you are merely proving my point in that, us putting them in a cage, out of their natural environment IS the unnatural thing to do.

You also seem to be interchanging "natural" with "healthy" or at least inferring that. Everything in nature is not healthy lol. That's why I laugh every time I go into a food store and see "all natural" plastered all over everything making gullible people think that well its "all natural" so it must be healthy. Go eat some fresh all natrual not processed Castor Bean's and well see how long you live... lol. Just because it has "natural" in its name does not instantly mean healthy.

now about the "parasites", thats a multi fold question, now if your talking about 1 specific chameleon out of the whole species, and that one chameleon is in your care, then obviously no, parasites are not in the best intrest of that chameleons health.

But if your talking about the health of the WHOLE SPECIES, and all of them in the wild, well then that's a debatable topic merely because parasites exist. If parasites never existed, then the introduction of them would be detrimental, especially at first. But due to the fact that parasites in general are heavily engrained and spread through vast number of species, its just another added element of "nature" and natural selection at its finest.

The parasites have every right to live as much as the next living organism, they are fighting and evolving to keep their nitch in the world. Just as chameleons are fighting and evolving to keep their nitch in the world. Because of the 2 of them (plus countless other predators etc) they are pushing each other to evolve in new ways, with new defensive mechanisms etc, which in turn is actually for the good and "better" of the species as a whole, not as an individual, but as a whole, making it more likely they will continue to succeed and not succumb to extinction. Without those parasites, and predators "killing" the less healthy and less fortunate individuals, and individuals with poor adaptations or mutation, then the species would never evolve, and eventually it would cause their downfall. So like I said, its highly debatable and could be discussed endlessly.

'

The part about the "emotional" side and "logical" side is a VERY board statement... and unless you care to elaborate a lot I think this statement is fairly foolish.

Well I can honestly say, Ill be the first one to tell you I could care less what you think is "foolish". Next time save your breath and time, as just reading your "foolish post" takes away time in my day lol. If you have something specific that is worth wile to add to a topic, then by all means say it, but to simply come on here and say "o well that post is foolish" is kind of shallow and just wastes everyone time, yours included, and add NOTHING to the original topic (kind of the whole point of forums lol).

Now about the subject matter, obviously this is no psychology forum, no one is discussing that, nor do I think anyone really wants to. But the fact of the matter is, some people instantly act emotional when seeing the true reality of nature, others see it more logical. Some people sit there and project their emotions onto the pray, feeling empathic for them, while others just see the reality of 1 subject needs to eat to sustain it self, the other subject is just part of the food chain, nothing more nothing less. Now obviously you can get much much deeper into the psychology of it all, but like I said, I don't think anyone here cares for that... I was just posting a pretty blatant obvious fact, some people view predator / prey situations differently than others, and doing so in broad terms. Which is why some were getting upset at the "graphic nature of the photo" while others were saying it was "ok" to post it.

And the award for best thread of 2013 goes to......

Looks like this one LOL

Are we not the real monsters who restrain reptiles for pleasure?

Yup, back to one of my original statements, that the only thing "unnatural" about that first picture, is the fact that its in a cage :)

You are right. I shouldn't stoop to that immature level.
I wonder though, will someone get offended if i post a picture of my chameleon eating anything? Should I be concerned over someone getting too "sensitive" over a roach? If they don't care, then is that bad?
A life is a life (many/an animals has to die in order for my animal to live), I don't care what it is; whether roach or lizard. If you guys object you are hypocrites. By bringing these animals in captivity, you are directly responsible for the daily deaths it takes to feed them. I am sorry, but it is true.

Yeah, its much better to make your points without getting personal, people will be more open to your point of view so long as you keep it on topic and not personal. Likewise I never want to "hurt" some ones feelings on a forum, I try to keep it lighter, and or on topic, but Obviously some times when people get passionate about something, that passion shines through with vented frustration in a bad way.

But I agree with the animals in captivity, and I also agree with its sort of ironic, everyone posts countless picture of insects being eaten. Its fine and happy when a chameleon eats a silk worm, roach, horn worm, cricket etc., but the second its something someone links emotion too (fuzzy or scaly) instantly there is outcry. Its unfortunate and ironic, but that's the way it is some times.

Its also doubly unfortunate and ironic, that most of those same people will be going out and getting a "Big Mac" later lol.

Well I can honestly say, Ill be the first one to tell you I could care less what you think is "foolish". Next time save your breath and time, as just reading your "foolish post" takes away time in my day lol. If you have something specific that is worth wile to add to a topic, then by all means say it, but to simply come on here and say "o well that post is foolish" is kind of shallow and just wastes everyone time, yours included, and add NOTHING to the original topic (kind of the whole point of forums lol).

Now about the subject matter, obviously this is no psychology forum, no one is discussing that, nor do I think anyone really wants to. But the fact of the matter is, some people instantly act emotional when seeing the true reality of nature, others see it more logical. Some people sit there and project their emotions onto the pray, feeling empathic for them, while others just see the reality of 1 subject needs to eat to sustain it self, the other subject is just part of the food chain, nothing more nothing less. Now obviously you can get much much deeper into the psychology of it all, but like I said, I don't think anyone here cares for that... I was just posting a pretty blatant obvious fact, some people view predator / prey situations differently than others, and doing so in broad terms. Which is why some were getting upset at the "graphic nature of the photo" while others were saying it was "ok" to post it.

Oh so you say it isn't a psychological forum, but you used psychological idea's in your original post! GOOD ONE! Then you avoid my statement where I asked you to elaborate on the emotional and logical side brain conversation. You making that statement assumes that all left side brain people are irrational and act only on emotion and that right side brain people are logical and superior. I just wanted you to not make broad "SHALLOW" statements by playing off a common disbelief about psychology.

Also, you say me saying that your original statement is to broad, is shallow? Just address the point that you are just trying to sound intelligent by talking about something you know minimal about. :) Have a good day, if you actually want to address the original point I was trying to make please just pm.

I would be worried about parasites. The risk from a wild caught lizard is pretty high. I am treating my rescue bearded dragon for parasites right now, and I wouldn't want to intentionally put him at risk of catching them and have to go through this again. The meds are hard on him and I have to give him probiotics to help with the side effects, among other things.

It is funny how most people wouldnt give a second look at a lizard that was ran over by a car, but would have obvious issues with a cow that had been killed by a car. Circumstances created strictly by man. Yet like you said, they will still, buy a big mac, go drive their cars, and complain about a picture of an animal being eaten.

You guys should see what my monitor does to a mouse, frog, fish, or crawfish if you think that picture is "graphic"

Also Moogle I in no way meant to convey you as "foolish" just the statement as "foolish", as there is a big difference there between calling you a name versus a statement.

Moogle, what is logical to you may not be logical to the next. Valid logic can be used in both ways here (for and not for feeding lizards).

Im for feeding a animal what it needs to thrive, Not for amusement. Whether it be lizard to a lizard, etc...

To the op:
It is incorrect to believe a single meal will speed up the recovery of weight. It takes many meals with a supporting appetite to take on more weight.
It is incorrect to believe panther chameleons need prey such as other small lizards to thrive.

If a single feeder given on a regular basis can cause harm. IMO, it is not meant to be apart of the diet. Insert superworms here.

Moogle, what is logical to you may not be logical to the next. Valid logic can be used in both ways here (for and not for feeding lizards).

Im for feeding a animal what it needs to thrive, Not for amusement. Whether it be lizard to a lizard, etc...

To the op:
It is incorrect to believe a single meal will speed up the recovery of weight. It takes many meals with a supporting appetite to take on more weight.
It is incorrect to believe panther chameleons need prey such as other small lizards to thrive.

If a single feeder given on a regular basis can cause harm. IMO, it is not meant to be apart of the diet. Insert superworms here.

And gold star to ataraxia! ;)

In my opinion, the Cham obviously saw him as food. It's just another food item. Everyone's just use to insect feeders. It did also say graphic warning. Some people keep mice as pets but other's use them for food. I think this post was perfectly normal as long as the graphic warning was posting in title. Unless there are pools of blood lol

To the op:

+ 1

I would also think that wouldn't a lizard be much harder to digest and breakdown then say some wax worms which are fatty and put weight on panthers much faster and digest much easier?

Also if lizard eating lizards are okay, then should I post pictures of me allowing my panther to eat a clutch of bearded dragon babies???

Not that I ever would do that, but I think the point being is lizard eating lizard should probably just be avoided on this site lol... Always stirs up so much controversy.

I also don't see the big deal, we all own chameleons that in the wild would eat small lizards given the chance, it's nature. If anything she's offering a more realistic diet to the Cham as in the wild it would turn down the feeder just like they've been none to eat small birds

In nature chameleonkev...Hawks, lemurs, snakes eat chameleons. Do we complete the whole circle of life? Is that what were are aiming for, nature?

It drives me up the @!#%ing wall to hear this "Logic".

Back
Top Bottom