Getting a bit worried...behavior changes

lojack13

Okay, so my Female Panther Nosy Be is about 9 months old now. About 14 days ago she went from eating about 10-12 crickets a day to eating only 3-5 a day. Today she has only eaten one. In the past week she had went from being pretty active, to laying around in about 1-2 spots in the enclosure and just staying there for hours on end. Her poop looks great and I see her drinking, and she is not sleeping during the day. But she just seems lethargic. I have also noticed she is getting really dark stripes down her body that will stay there for a few hours and then go away. Stress lines maybe? She was receptive about 2 months ago so I don't know if she may be becoming gravid or not. I have never had a gravid Cham so I just don't know about the behavior changes or anything. I do have a 12X12 laying been filled with play sand in there for her. Basically she was alot more active about 2 weeks ago and ate a lot more. Just want to catch a possible illness early on before it gets out of hand or just get some opinions on on if I may be freaking out about nothing. Perhaps she is just simply bored. I really have never offered her any other feeders in the past. I have also considered its just a metabolic thing i.e. She is eating less so she is just moving less. All input would be highly appreciated.
Here is my Chams info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Panther Chameleon, Female, 9 months old, been in my care for 6 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not at all.
Feeding - Feeding her in the morning with 10 - 3/4" crickets, currently gutloading with Organic Apples She only eats about 4-5 though.
Supplements - Dusting crickets with Repti Cal brand products. Cal -D3 every day, Doing Multivite and D3 twice a month rotating on Thursdays.
Watering - I use a dripper system plus I mist about 4 times a day for a few minutes. I do see her drink.
Fecal Description - Fecal looks is brown with white urate.
History - She has had zero health issues so far.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Cage is DYI screen enclosure 18X18X36T
Lighting - Using a 75watt Bask bulb and 5.0 Reptisun linear bulb for UVB. Lights are on 12 hour timer 8am - 8pm
Temperature - Bask temp is 88-90 and floor is 79. Lowest overnight temp is 72. Measured with Digital Thermometer. Temps are higher than usual due to the heat wave we are having.
Humidity - Ambient humidity is ranging from 40-50 Spiking at 85 during mistings. Use a digital hygrometer.
Plants - One large, live aboricola is in her enclosure.
Placement - Enclosure is located in far corner of my living room which is the lowest traffic spot of that room. She is near a window which I almost always keep covered by a curtain.
Location - I am located in Central Ohio, USA

Sounds like she may be getting ready to lay eggs.

they can sometimes eat less and get less active during this period.

Sounds like she may be getting ready to lay eggs.

they can sometimes eat less and get less active during this period.

Okay, that does seem to make sense. She is getting within laying age so this may be the problem. Any suggestions on making her more comfortable? She just seems freaked out. She is at the back of the cage right now hiding from me and just looks stressed. This isn't like her LOL! She use to come up to the front and puff up at me. I heard someone suggest one time, to put a sheet across their cage to block their view while they are gravid because they do not like trying to lay when they can see people or animals.

Very true.

Females will oftentimes not lay when being watched.

Keep in mind, she could still be weeks away from having to lay, and it can take days for them to finally lay.

Back
Top Bottom