Furcifer Campani Hatching - Canvas Chameleons

Nick I am so sorry you lost two of them. That is a setback. But you are the only one hatching them, and you have the only one still alive. The is a major accomplishment! You are getting started, be proud.

Thank you Laurie! As of now I know that Kevin and also Sam have hatched one each shortly after mine hatched. I know one of them also didn't survive but not sure of the other.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully the last one does well. Keep your head up, you have already accomplished so much with this species.

Thank you Laurie! As of now I know that Kevin and also Sam have hatched one each shortly after mine hatched. I know one of them also didn't survive but not sure of the other.

I knew Kevin had lost his. I have no idea about San. I still think you are the very best chance for campani.:)

Thats the big problem with campani babys ,up to 90% dies within the first 3 weeks.

Jurgen, do you contribute most of your deaths to the fact they wouldn't eat for you or do you feel there were other items that could have caused them to not survive as well?

Last edited:
These are not the best pictures but I didn't want to have the little one out any long than necessary to take two quick pictures with the one day old R. brev. The campani is at day 28 in these pictures and is almost twice the size of when hatched so you can still see how even the freshly hatched pygmy is still larger :)

R-Brev-F-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

R-Brev-F-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

Wow!! I had no idea the campani babies were that small. I knew my campani was small, but never having seem a neonate, I am just amazed by how tiny they are. I can't wait until you have more babies!

Jurgen, do you contribute most of your deaths to the fact they wouldn't eat for you or do you feel there were other items that could have caused them to not survive as well?

The once that were eating all made it to beautifull adults.
Once they pass the first month(first shedding) they were doing perfect and grow like crazy.
They are adult at about 8 to 9 months and start breeding at that age.
But from 80 babys i had 15 survivors and after one breeding season i had it with all the dead once and i stoped breeding them :(
Still dont know why a few did brilliant and all the rest die..

The once that were eating all made it to beautifull adults.
Once they pass the first month(first shedding) they were doing perfect and grow like crazy.
They are adult at about 8 to 9 months and start breeding at that age.
But from 80 babys i had 15 survivors and after one breeding season i had it with all the dead once and i stoped breeding them :(
Still dont know why a few did brilliant and all the rest die..

That's frustrating to hear Jurgen. Mine was eating well, and so were the 2 that Nick had that did not survive...strange.

That's frustrating to hear Jurgen. Mine was eating well, and so were the 2 that Nick had that did not survive...strange.

Maybe it got something to do with the extreme climate they live in.
They live very high in the Mountains,at day time its very warm with very high uv,at night its almost freezing.
I got some clima reports of them in situ ,i will see if i find them and post the link ;-)

Maybe it got something to do with the extreme climate they live in.
They live very high in the Mountains,at day time its very warm with very high uv,at night its almost freezing.
I got some clima reports of them in situ ,i will see if i find them and post the link ;-)

Thanks Jurgen!

here some statistics http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Tsiatajavona-Ankaratra-weather-averages/Antananarivo/MG.aspx
Some European friend were visiting the place and in the morning they had litle frost on the ground ,in day they get sunburned in about 1 h...

Wow! Thanks for the information Jurgen. I wonder if a night time drop that is fairly substantial is required for them. Maybe a possible lack of sleep during the night is causing them to become weak overtime and eventually not make it?

Back
Top Bottom