Furcifer Campani Hatching - Canvas Chameleons

Who needs lady bugs in their garden when they could have cute little campani to control the aphids?:)

Very cute and great photography. Thanks for the baby pictures!

A-mazing!!!! They are so tiny and so cute!!! The pictures are fantastic! So so soooo happy to see baby #1 eating!

Number three

Number three is here!

Furcifer-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-Jeweled-Chameleon-17.jpg

The black spot in the eye is actually the pupil showing through the thin colorless skin.

Campani Baby Update

Unfortunately, I do not have the best update on the little ones this time. Despite all three of them eating and drinking and seemingly doing great, two of the three little ones didn't make it.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the causes were. The first to pass was the last one to hatch which was the smallest of the three. It passed very suddenly on day 7 with no signs of not doing well prior. It was very surprising as it was the only one to be eating pinhead crickets almost immediately out of the egg.

The second to pass just died today at day 24 old. I noticed yesterday it was favoring one eye over the other but I didn't anticipate that being an immediate problem. This morning it wasn't interested in eating for the first time ever and then this afternoon it passed away.

The good news is the first baby to hatch is still continuing to be strong and is eating like a champ. It is almost double the size of when it hatched 27 days ago. I have high hopes that it continues to do well and will live to see the many years ahead.

As with all success, there is usually a bunch of failures that come along with it. As always, I will continue to watch and learn as much as I can every day from these little ones in hope to eventually master this amazing species.

Nick, I am so sorry. I hope the third one continues to thrive. They're such beautiful animals, it breaks my heart.

That is just an awe stopper. I'm just thinking in my head right now but I don't understand what happens when they are doing so good that something goes so wrong. I would think it has more to do with something else than captive living. I don't know anything about this chameleon. Would it worth checking into why they passed away?

Nick I am so sorry you lost two of them. That is a setback. But you are the only one hatching them, and you have the only one still alive. The is a major accomplishment! You are getting started, be proud.

That is just an awe stopper. I'm just thinking in my head right now but I don't understand what happens when they are doing so good that something goes so wrong. I would think it has more to do with something else than captive living. I don't know anything about this chameleon. Would it worth checking into why they passed away?

I'm thinking the same thing but not sure what else it could be at this point. As with many other species that started their CB lines, there will always be quite a few deaths along the way until we can better understand that species and their specific needs. I think the game changer will be if we are able to get enough to live to breeding age in order to have offspring from CB parents.

As for checking, they are so small no one would be able to determine anything. I had three brevs hatch yesterday and they are larger right out of the egg than the oldest campani! I wanted to take a picture of the two but didn't want to stress them out. I might try tonight :)

Back
Top Bottom