First ever F2 Jeweled Chameleon (Furcifer campani)

@NHenn

Well, to me, it seems that you are doing everything right.

Four unrelated captive bred lines is a respectable feat in itself.

I find myself learning new things all the time on here!

Thank you for elaborating on your experience and processes.

I hope that you will continue to update us while your breeding project progresses.

Thank you so much! These little guys are truly my passion and by far my favorite and most difficult species to work with. Always keeping you on your toes :)

Nick I am so happy to know you have made it to F2. That is a lot of time and work, but I knew you would get there! You know I am a campani nut, so it is more special to me that most, as I know how fragile campani are!

Yes the little one is doing great! The biggest hurtle with their survival is getting them to eat so as soon as I was able to see him/her snatch up the first meal I was able to breathe easy again!

Yeah I remember you struggling with it really bad with your first captive bred clutch. Then you found the wonders of aphids? If I remember correctly XD

Yeah I remember you struggling with it really bad with your first captive bred clutch. Then you found the wonders of aphids? If I remember correctly XD
Yes I did but this time around I tried pinheads right away and it seems to be working. With that said I have my aphids currently being cultured so I will have some of them ready to feed by the end of the week for some added variety.

You are correct, F2 is second Filial Generation. Technically to be considered F2 their needs to be relation between the clutches (ie line breeding) in order to officially be a filial generation. With that said, in the chameleon hobby line breeding or in breeding is something move consider to be frowned upon so a lot of breeders, including myself will stay away from doing so.

So, I'm calling these babies F2 because they are two generations removed from the wild but they are from 100% unrelated pairings. The ability to get a gravid WC female, get babies and then breed siblings would be extremely easy and not something I'm willing to do. I also didn't introduce a wild caught male into the captive bred population as in my opinion they would only be considered F1 again and would also make the process a lot easier. To achieve this little baby, I started with four unrelated WC adults which each produced two unrelated clutches of CB babies. I then raised those babies up to adult hood and bred them as unrelated pairs and now produced unrelated, second generation, two removed from wild offspring. Hence why it took just a little over four years to accomplish.

To date, I have four unrelated captive bred lines that I produced and one captive bred line from Kevin. If all goes well over the next year or two I hope to achieve F3 with all unrelated pairings!

Beautiful congrats I'm new to the cham world came over from dog breeding. Cane Corso's Italian mastiffs. But understand the importance of what your doing keep it up good luck.

Back
Top Bottom