Furcifer Campani Hatching - Canvas Chameleons

DSC_0353.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the kind words! I really meas a lot to us :)

I hear that the hardest part is just starting with actually keeping the little ones alive as most do not want to eat any of the main feeder :( So keep your fingers crossed and maybe with everyone's support she will continue to do well and grow up nice and strong.

Nick, I'm sure you already had this thought but I bet their main source of food would be springtails.

Jeremy,

I still have two eggs left in this clutch and right now I can see a little green nose popping out of the second egg so hopefully we will have another little one very very soon!!!!

Thanks for going through all your records. I wasn't sure if someone was able to hatch them before the 1995 ban as I know they were exported in great numbers back then. I would be blown away if this little one is actually the first ever here in the US and not just the first since the ban!

I actually have an old recollection of someone stating Furcifer campani had been bred in the USA. As I have had that past conversation of how many Madagascar chameleon species had actually been breed in the USA with more than one chameleon keeper and I recall Furcifer campani being one listed. There were a couple of species that were bred that did not make it to the CIN birth announcements Calumma nasutum is another. However this is a good OFFICIAL first documented and recorded first breeding in the USA.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Jeremy the campani I know of that were hatched here didn't live more then a couple of days. If I remember correctly the babies never ate. Most likely the food source was to large.

Nick any luck getting her to eat the aphids?

Carl

Jeremy the campani I know of that were hatched here didn't live more then a couple of days. If I remember correctly the babies never ate. Most likely the food source was to large.

Nick any luck getting her to eat the aphids?

Carl

Carl

That appears to be the problem with the babies of this species, locating a food source small enough to eat. It is a bit early to say whether the baby is a he or a she?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

No luck yet with eating but that is with me watching so there is still the possibility that she is eating when i'm not looking.

Jeremy, I could be wrong but I believe they are born with their adult coloration as she came out green as can be so I'm assuming female.

Jurgen, I've heard different from others in Europe. It was my understanding that most of the male refused to breed?

Breeding carpets is fairly easy and incubation is even easier so I wouldn't say that campani is even comparable.

No luck yet with eating but that is with me watching so there is still the possibility that she is eating when i'm not looking.

Jeremy, I could be wrong but I believe they are born with their adult coloration as she came out green as can be so I'm assuming female.

That baby is yours. If you're confident about your technique of sexing baby Furcifer campani I am good with that! Good luck raising her.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Jurgen, I've heard different from others in Europe. It was my understanding that most of the male refused to breed?

Breeding carpets is fairly easy and incubation is even easier so I wouldn't say that campani is even comparable.

I never had problems with breeding them,like i said i found them as easy to breed as carpets.
After 5 clutches i want to stop breeding them but even than females keep on producing clutches it are really eggmachines.
If babys donts start eating in the first week they will all die,i had about 25%that made it to adults.

You have to search in my thread some nice pitures ,reported 5 or 6 hatching of clutches with lots and lots of baby's also pictures of several juvenilles that made it to adults .

That baby is yours. If you're confident about your technique of sexing baby Furcifer campani I am good with that! Good luck raising her.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I'm less confident now that the second baby hatched haha. You can see the second baby has the black rings around her dots which looks just like an adult female where the first does not. Maybe Jurgen can help?

You have to search in my thread some nice pitures ,reported 5 or 6 hatching of clutches with lots and lots of baby's also pictures of several juvenilles that made it to adults .

Awesome, I will have to check that out! What did you find that they would eat the most of?

I'm less confident now that the second baby hatched haha. You can see the second baby has the black rings around her dots which looks just like an adult female where the first does not. Maybe Jurgen can help?

Just honing our techniques here in the USA and North America for now, first opportunity for about 19 years LOL. I would concern myself with food intake for these babies first.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom