Furcifer Campani Hatching - Canvas Chameleons

NHenn

Avid Member
It is with great honor that we can officially announce the first captive born Furcifer campani (Jeweled Chameleon) here in the United States.

F. Campani is known to be one of the most difficult chameleons to breed in captivity and very little is actually known about their specific requirements. This is mostly due to the 1995 CITES ban on their exports from Madagascar which was removed last year allowing a small number of them to leave Madagascar.

We began this journey well over a year and a half ago and all our hard work and dedication has finally paid off. It has been a personal dream of mine to hatch the famous Jeweled Chameleon and I am beyond excited to be able to have reached my goal and accomplish such an amazing achievement!

Here are some pictures of the little one only a few minutes old.

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-1-e1418411767862.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-2-e1418411800129.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-3-e1418411816243.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-4-e1418411827297.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-5-e1418411834799.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-6-e1418411841234.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-7-e1418411850465.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-8-e1418411857432.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-9-e1418411866533.jpg

Furcifier-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-10-e1418411872717.jpg

AMAZING! You should be very proud. How many more eggs do you have? My single egg is not looking so great. :( Congratulations to you, that is a real accomplishment.

Thanks guys!!!!!

Frank we have two more eggs in this clutch and one of them is currently sweating as well so hopefully we will have another little one very soon.

I have a feeling the hard part is just starting as I hear keeping the little ones alive and eating is proven to be very difficult so we will see. Fingers crossed.

Nick

Congratulation! That is an accomplishment. Some experienced husbandry and incubation practices along with perseverance and then another one of the Madagascar species has been bred here in the USA (even though I think they were bred in the USA before 1995). Good job! How many other eggs did you have in that clutch or left over eggs that could hatch?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
That is totally awesome! Congratulations! He looks like a teeny tiny watermelon with legs!:eek: :D I absolutely love the look of these chams!

Nick I am soooo proud of you!! You have accomplished something I had hoped to do some day in the future. I wanted a campani from the first time I saw a picture. I will enjoy watching your little ones grow. You really have out done your self!!!!Congrats

Nick

I went through my entire CIN collection and looked through the birth announcements and did not confirm a hatching of Furcifer campani or Furcifer campani issue. However I no longer own the entire set of CIN's meaning possible first hatching in the USA! Congratulations again!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the kind words! I really meas a lot to us :)

I hear that the hardest part is just starting with actually keeping the little ones alive as most do not want to eat any of the main feeder :( So keep your fingers crossed and maybe with everyone's support she will continue to do well and grow up nice and strong.

Jeremy,

I still have two eggs left in this clutch and right now I can see a little green nose popping out of the second egg so hopefully we will have another little one very very soon!!!!

Thanks for going through all your records. I wasn't sure if someone was able to hatch them before the 1995 ban as I know they were exported in great numbers back then. I would be blown away if this little one is actually the first ever here in the US and not just the first since the ban!

Back
Top Bottom