Furcifer bifidus

Love this thread. Is there any way you could take some nice photos of your male in his setup? Didn't see any in previous pages and I'm excited to see him in his new home!

Love this thread. Is there any way you could take some nice photos of your male in his setup? Didn't see any in previous pages and I'm excited to see him in his new home!

I have not taken any so far but I definitely can. I am putting the finishing touches on it tonight and can show it off maybe tomorrow am or possibly the pm. We shall see. Thanks for posting.

Side note everyone! I think I may be getting my hands on some additional bifidus in the coming months. Let's hope it pans out!!

Please forgive if I'm stating something completely obvious, but hornworms are naturally toxic from the tobacco and tomato plants they eat in the wild to help deter predation. In nature most would be predators should be wary. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Malagasy counterpart that the chameleons instinctively avoid due to toxins or irritating hairs. I've also noticed a warming up period to hornworms. Slow to try them for the first time, but once they do and see everything's ok, it's game on.

Please forgive if I'm stating something completely obvious, but hornworms are naturally toxic from the tobacco and tomato plants they eat in the wild to help deter predation. In nature most would be predators should be wary. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Malagasy counterpart that the chameleons instinctively avoid due to toxins or irritating hairs. I've also noticed a warming up period to hornworms. Slow to try them for the first time, but once they do and see everything's ok, it's game on.

Thanks for the input cash. I imagine that most likely the reason. My panthers we even pretty wary but like you said once they tried them it was literally game on seconds later.

Also, as a follow up to the other information you posted in your response. I wanted him to settle in and eat before any other stressor is brought on, But I will be bringing him in this week for fecal and check up. I am nervous about the qualification of the vet I am going to be using though. He is a reptile vet but am unsure of the chameleon experience, especially the more sensitive ones.

Also, it is awesome to see you got some willsii and peretti. Good luck with them! Any eggs or gravid females?

A few of the female F.petteri came in gravid but the eggs didn't survive the ordeal (laid them everywhere but in the ground etc). Since they are available for sale (unfortunately we cannot keep them all!) I didn't want to stress them by trying to introduce them just yet. My guess is we'll get the same response we did with the F.willsii! :)

The F.willsii were not gravid and I have a feeling they were a bit younger than not based on their growth rates since we acquired them back in February. It's just a matter of time (and making sure they remain thriving in that time) before they'll get the urge to do what they do. I'm just hoping we can get something going with them. I really love the F.willsii and think others would really enjoy working with them as well. :)

Thanks!

Luis

A few of the female F.petteri came in gravid but the eggs didn't survive the ordeal (laid them everywhere but in the ground etc). Since they are available for sale (unfortunately we cannot keep them all!) I didn't want to stress them by trying to introduce them just yet. My guess is we'll get the same response we did with the F.willsii! :)

The F.willsii were not gravid and I have a feeling they were a bit younger than not based on their growth rates since we acquired them back in February. It's just a matter of time (and making sure they remain thriving in that time) before they'll get the urge to do what they do. I'm just hoping we can get something going with them. I really love the F.willsii and think others would really enjoy working with them as well. :)

Thanks!

Luis

Luis. That is unfortunate with the petteri eggs. But you'll produce more. It is also pretty awesome that the willsii came in young, gives you plenty of time to produce more. I am sure you'll do fantastically.

Alright everyone. Here is Marble my male Furcifer bifidus taking his daily 45 min shower.
1883d3a4d6252157c8adb49cc997b357.jpg

Observation.

Well it is so damn nice outside today, about 83 and no clouds I have decided to bring this guys enclosure outside for the day. He is in love. He has spent the last 4 hours or so basking, he has plenty of shade, well I made sure the majority of the cage was dappled shade but he has found the one spot that is full on intense sun and has made that his spot. I was kind of shocked by this as the temps with the sun on him have to be in the 90's but he loves it. I may incorporate more warm temps into his room. As of now I have been going with an ambient temp of 76 or so with a 50 watt spotlight for basking with ambient humidity of about 75/80. What is slightly contradictory to this is the fact that when he is inside I only see him bask at first light under his spot light and the quad light tropics blaze fixture for an hour or so. Then he heads down to the middle of the cage an hangs out there the rest of he day where it is cooler and more humid. But outside he is staying in full contact with the sun, no gaping or washing out of colors, if anything he is far more vibrant. He is doing very well and I am very excited at the possibility to continue working with this species.

how are they doing?

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been super busy.

So I only have 4 eggs remaining, most of them molded over :(

Good news is that the 4 eggs I do have seem to be going strong and have shown some growth. They are still nice a pearly white. They are also still in a diapause for now that I will begin to break next month by raising the temp a couple of degrees every month until February, at which point they will be at their warmest. So hopefully all goes well. Thanks for checking in.

Back
Top Bottom