Furcifer bifidus

Jurgen

I would probably somewhat normally concur with you and Nick about this estimate of age for Furcifer willsii and Furcifer petteri. However there is a known case from a credible sources from the CIN in Southern California that Furcifer willsii males can live much longer, allegedly 8 years plus. With the new imports we are going to see if that is accurate.

However I think even without the standard small Furcifer species life expectancy 3-5 years such as known Furcifer lateralis or Furcifer campani. I think the larger Furcifer bifidus has the prospects to live a much longer life than all the smaller as stated earlier Furcifer species such as Furcifer petteri or Furcifer willsii.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy, I might have been a little low with 2-4 years but honestly in captivity that is very common for most chameleon species. Chris told me the willsii you are referring too was the one Ardi had prior to 95. I don't doubt that is was 7-8 years old but I highly doubt that is the norm for this species and for similar species.

Pardalis have been seen to live to something crazy like 12 years in one case but that doesn't mean you give them a 0-12 year life expectancy. I find it very hard to support telling someone that a panther will live past 5 years. Can it happen, yes but I wouldn't allow one extreme case to justify inflation of the numbers.

As for Furcifer campani, there isn't anything known about them so I wouldn't lump them in to something like a lateralis. So far we have proven that they are only about 10-30 days in captivity for both wild caught and captive born hahaha. Give me a few years and hopefully I will be able to give you a better number on what one could expect them to live. I hope they are longer than lateralis as they do seem to take more time to reach maturity but due to our extreme lack of knowledge on them it is anyone's best guess.

Jeremy, I might have been a little low with 2-4 years but honestly in captivity that is very common for most chameleon species. Chris told me the willsii you are referring too was the one Ardi had prior to 95. I don't doubt that is was 7-8 years old but I highly doubt that is the norm for this species and for similar species.

Pardalis have been seen to live to something crazy like 12 years in one case but that doesn't mean you give them a 0-12 year life expectancy. I find it very hard to support telling someone that a panther will live past 5 years. Can it happen, yes but I wouldn't allow one extreme case to justify inflation of the numbers.

As for Furcifer campani, there isn't anything known about them so I wouldn't lump them in to something like a lateralis. So far we have proven that they are only about 10-30 days in captivity for both wild caught and captive born hahaha. Give me a few years and hopefully I will be able to give you a better number on what one could expect them to live. I hope they are longer than lateralis as they do seem to take more time to reach maturity but due to our extreme lack of knowledge on them it is anyone's best guess.

Nick

I am saying based off of Ardi's wild caught Furcifer willsii "Willy", acquired in 1995 who Kent had seen in person in 2003. I think an estimate age range for a larger species Furcifer bifidus of between 5-12 years is appropriate and accurate. We are going to be able to test my hypothesis/estimated age range with these new quotas though. Keepers who can provide optimum conditions and may give a more accurate picture of the ages for female and male Furcifer bifidus. We shall have our results about this matter!!

Some of the recent Kinyongia matschiei keepers have stated they think this species lives over 10 years in captivity or in the wild. If proven accurate that Kinyongia matschiei can live past 10 years why not other species of chameleons other than Calumma parsonni parsonii and other Parsonii like chameleons?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Update!

Hey guys. Just a quick update. Both the eggs and the male seem to be doing well. With the eggs I have settled on what I believe to be a sound incubation method involving mimicking the seasonal variation in Eastern Madagascar while accounting for soil temps. I am also providing a gradient in the daily temps. More on this later.

On to my single male. He is doing Fantastic. For a minute there I was a bit concerned, and still slightly am due to the nature of imports but he has begun to eat like a champ and drinks more than any other cham I have seen. I swear it is insane. When first received he weighed in at 64.7g. I will continue to track this and post here as I remember.

Was that article I told you about of any use?

Craig. Are you referring to the German article from Facebook? If so YES. I translated it and it was extremely useful. You, as well as everyone else have been enormously helpful. Hopefully more bifidus will come in and these eggs will hatch. I'd love to really invest in this species. But I always seem to be the last to see the sale ads so I miss them. Does anyone know of anyone else with bifidus in the states? If anyone has them that is reading this, I would love to talk.

This is great news! Glad both the eggs and the male are doing well for you. I would love to read this article as well, always looking to learn :)

With incubating, are you going to provide a diapause or just a day/night drop?

I am going to do it seasonal. I will be just following along with what the temps in the areas have historically been, but about 8-9 degrees lower to compensate for the ground temps. So in a word yes, because the temps are pretty low for about 3/4 months. Once it begins to warm I will increase to humidity in the incubation container to simulate a rainy season beginning. Hoping all goes well. I will post the link to the page once I am on a computer!

So I guess it is very possible that F. Bifidus could live just as long.

That is what I have been attempting to saying. With how old some of the larger Eastern Forest Madagascar species are estimated to be plus age evidence from closely related species. Ages over 10 years for larger Furcifer species does not surprise me.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That is what I have been saying. With how old some of the larger Eastern Forest Madagascar species are estimated to be. Ages over 10 years for larger Furcifer species does not surprise me.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I am glad to hear additional people chime in about the high life expectancy, it gives me a better chance at attaining more individuals and not worry about having to rush breeding when they may not be ready to do so.

That is what I have been attempting to saying. With how old some of the larger Eastern Forest Madagascar species are estimated to be plus age evidence from closely related species. Ages over 10 years for larger Furcifer species does not surprise me.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jezus Jeremy how many experianced breeders allready try to tell you that their is absolute no comparison to these small furcifers and the big Calummas.
I guess talking to you is like talking to a wall,my dog has more brains.:rolleyes:

Jezus Jeremy how many experianced breeders allready try to tell you that their is absolute no comparison to these small furcifers and the big Calummas.
I guess talking to you is like talking to a wall,my dog has more brains.:rolleyes:

Jurgen

You're a dog:D? Nobody on this thread has said they have bred Furcifer bifidus (the only thing close to breeding is the eggs that Nick has).

That is not even what I was saying. I am saying the larger Eastern Forest Furcifer species (Furcifer bifidus and Furcifer balteatus) compared to the Parsonii like chameleons (Calumma parsonii parsonii, Calumma parsonii cristifer, Calumma globifer, Calumma oshaughnessyi, and Calumma ambreense that happen to be larger species too) if they have similar older ages kept in ideal/optimum conditions that would not surprise me.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom